Uganda - Apply for a Special Certificate of Land Title
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The applicant should pick an application form for special land title from the district land office of Uganda or from Area land committees or district land board requesting for the special land title.
- The applicant must avail the Physical and Postal addresses, telephone and email contacts.
- The signature of the person making the request and date of submission should be provided.
- Attach a statutory declaration form dully filled by the applicant and signed by the commissioner for oaths.
- The applicant presents full sets of documents Attach with two recent passport photos to the department of land registration for processing. The photocopy should be stamped received and returned to the applicant.
- The applicants check with the land department after 5 working days to pick a letter of notice to be gazette in the media for the public to be notified on the impending issuance of a special land title.
- The land registration department verifies the submitted receipts and documents after the gazette notice to proceed to issue a special certificate of title.
- After 2 weeks the applicant upon presenting a photocopy of stamped documents a special certificate of land title is released.
- Two recent passport photos
- Photocopy of the original land title
- Identification ID i.e National identification Card
- General receipts of payment.
- Letter of application for special title
- Gazette extract
- Statutory declaration form
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Lands, Housing & Urban,
Century Building – Parliament
Avenue. P.O.Box 7096 Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 373511./0414 230891
Fax No.: 0414 230891
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. email@example.com;
Tel: +256 204660000, +256 414581294
- District Land Offices (DLOs)
- District Land Offices (DLOs)
- Office of the Recorder (OR)
- Area Land Committees (ALCs)
- Ministry Zonal Offices (MZOs)in all Districts of Uganda
- District Land Boards (DLBs)In All Districts in Uganda
- Anyone who lost original land certificate of occupancy, torn or destroyed, can apply for a special land title.
- Registration fees 15,000
- Stamp duty 10,000
- Application fees 10,000
- Bank fees 2,500
A special land title has no validity period as long as it is issued by the authorized body and there must be a genuine cause for requesting for a special land title.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time may be ten days(1) to four (4) weeks; however when the new digitalized process of the lands office is completed, chasing a special land title will be taking minutes instead of weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Visit the ministry of lands to acquire necessary application forms and accurately fill them;
- Make copies of all the necessary documents;
- Make all payments; and
- Submit application to the land office.
- Full name and address of applicant;
- Details of the Land in question i.e. location, plot and block numbers;
- Details of original owner.
- Area Land Committee Report
- District Land Officer Technical Report
Need for the Document
A freehold land title is a holder of a registered land in perpetuity with full powers of ownership that including developing the land.
Information which might help
It is important to note that:
- All payments attract an additional bank charge.
- Fees charged by the department are provided for under the law in the twenty-second schedule of the registration of titles act CAP 230
- Where an instrument of lease/ sub-lease or mortgage is dodged in triplicate, an additional of Ugandan shillings 2,000/= is charged.
- On lodgement of any instrument or other document whose purpose is to deal with an effect more than one certificate of title, mortgage or lease for each entry after the first one, Ugx shillings 5,000/= is charged
Compensation to any tenant on the land will be done by the applicant. The offer is conditional on the terms and conditions of the grant of freehold being accepted within forty five days of the date of the offer
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.