Uganda - Apply for a Research Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
You should apply atleast one month before the date you intend to start conducting the research in Uganda.
Apply In Person
- This should be done at least one (1) month before the expiry of the permit.
- You can apply for a research permit by filling in an Application for authority to Conduct Research In Uganda.
- Fill in the application form and send the completed Application for authority to Conduct Research in Uganda to the affiliating institution for endorsement. This can be done by courier service or e-mail.
- The application form should be submitted in two (2) copies to reach the ;
- Executive Secretary,
- Uganda National Council for Science & Technology (UNCST)
- P.O.Box 6884, Kampala Uganda.
- The research clearance application forms must be accompanied by the following:
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae of all the applicants (2 copies).
- A comprehensive project proposal, including details of objectives, hypothesis, literature review, methodology and envisaged application of the research results (2 copies).
- A letter from the sponsor, if any (2copies) (Sponsor is the person or body providing primary financial and or material support towards the project).
- A copy of National Identity Card.
- Two current passport-size photographs of the Applicant(s) duly endorsed by the Sponsor or Referee.
- Non-refundable research application fees payable to the Executive Secretary, National Council for Science and Technology, P.O. Box 6884, Kampala.
- Payment details have been given in our “Fees section”
- Attach the payment receipt to the application document before submission.
- Application forms received by the Research Coordination Division which will forward to relevant experts of the scheduled sciences for assessment and advice.
- Research Coordination Division on receipt of the comments of the relevant science schedule will deal appropriately by issuing Research Permit or inform applicant, in case further information are required.
- Once you have made the submission, wait for official communication from the Head of Research Division. The review process can take at least one month to complete.
- If the review is successful, you will be granted with an extension for your research.
- On completion and finalization of research work the researcher must submit two copies of research reports to UNCST.
- No Research Permit will be issued for subsequent research work if the reports of previous research work were not submitted.
- Passport size photo
- Scanned ID/Passport
- Affiliation letter from relevant local institution for foreigners
- Research proposal
- Introductory letter for students
- Certificate of ethical clearance of the research (where applicable)
- Evidence of payment as the last page of the uploaded proposal
- Copies of questionnaire(s) (if applicable)
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda National Council for Science & Technology (UNCST)
P.O.Box 6884, Kampala, Uganda
Plot 6, Kimera Road, Ntinda ,Ntinda,Kampala
Contact Phones: -,+256 414 705500
Email : [email protected]
Web Address:Uganda National Council for Science
The following are Eligible to apply
- All Non-Kenyans intending to do research in Uganda;
- Foreign students intending to come for study tours or undergraduate students coming for a short duration;
- All Ugandans who are studying abroad and intend to do research in the Country;
- Private institutions either Ugandan or Non-Ugandan intending to do research in the country;
- All Ugandans except employees of Government Research Institutions/ Ministries /Departments whose mandate is to do research or as part of their duties or have a Standing Research Clearance; and
- In all cases where the research involves acquiring information/data from the Country or Public and Government organizations.
The permit fees and extension fees are the same for East Africa Community (EAC) Citizens
- Student/Attachment/Undergraduate/Diploma.... Ugsh.40,000
- Research (Academic) Masters.... Ugsh.400,000
- Research (Academic) PhD.... Ugsh.800,000
- Research (Individual/Post-Doctoral).... Ugsh.200, 000
- Research (Public/Private Institutions).... Ugsh.350,000
- Research (Private Companies).... Ugsh. 700,000
- Extensions.... Same as above.
- Projects that extend beyond the initial five (5) year period are required to pay $300 USD for the extension.
- Ugandan students are only required to pay a fee of $50 USD.
Note:All applicants,excluding Ugandan students registered for study in local institutions, are responsible for paying this fee.
The validity period depends with the type of research. Usually most research projects take a duration of 1-5 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
If all requirements in the application are met,it can be ready in less than 2 weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- The UNCST will not register the protocol or issue a research permit until the fees has been paid.
- You should apply at least one month before the date you intend to start conducting the research in Uganda.
- Get an endorsement from affiliate institution to carry out research.
- Fill in required information and upload/ attach required documents.
- Make payment for the research permit.
- Submit filled application form, receipt and required documents to the UNCST for review and approval.
- An Applicant who has been permitted to conduct research in Uganda must undertake to deposit two (2) bound copies of his/her research report/thesis with the UNCST on completion of the research.
- Persons who have not submitted satisfactory final reports/thesis on the previous research work in Uganda may not be cleared for new projects.
- For short and medium-term projects, the research permit will be issued for a period not exceeding two (2) years, with a provision for renewal for a further one year. An application for renewal shall be submitted to the UNCST at least two (2) months before the expiry of the permit, a renewal fee of half of the original fee, shall be paid.
- For long-term projects taking more than three years, Applicants are advised to request for guidance and further information from the UNCST before submitting their application.
- Full name
- Passport Number
- Postal and permanent addresses
- Highest level of education
- Area of specialization
- Name and address of any friends, relatives or contacts in Uganda
- Title of Research
- Purpose of research
- Brief description of this research project
- Research Funding
- Estimated period of research
- The name(s) of the local institution(s), which will assist you in your research
- The name(s) of your sponsor(s)
- Personal referees
- How the research project will assist or be of value to Ugandan
- Where in Uganda will the research be conducted.
Need for the Document
- UNSCT ACT of the Science, Technology and Innovation Act, requires all persons intending to undertake research in the country to apply to the Commission for the grant of a Research Licence.
- Research refers to any investigation or inquiry or interview that aims to collect data or information, academic or non-academic that will lead to new information and/or knowledge.
- It’s illegal to undertake research in Uganda without a research license.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.