Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Apply for a Licence to Operate Business, Technical, Vocational Education and Training Institutions

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



  1. Private Business,Technical,Vocation education Licence can be obtained from Ministry of Education and sports as required by Education statute Act 2008.
  2. The intending proprietor should collect forms for licensing a private Business,Technical,Vocation education from MoES HQ/district/Municipal Education Office and fills them in triplicate following requirements as listed below.
    • An identifiable proprietor; he/she must be a person/organization of good reputation, no criminal record and with the necessary funds to manage the type of institution proposed to be established.
    • An intending proprietor has to get recommendation letters from LCI,LCIII and opinion/religious leader.
    • The planned school/institution must conform to the District/Municipal Education Plan and must be in line with the revised Education Sector Strategic Plan.
    • Written proof of ownership or lease of land on which the school/institution is to be situated or tenancy agreement that is valid for at least (5) five years for a secondary school and 8 years for a primary school (in case of hired buildings)
    • Which must have been designed and constructed for purposes of a school.
    • There must be enough land for expansion, playgrounds, school garden and physical education (urban schools may be considered as special cases).
    • There must be a development plan particularly for the licence period, and proof that 10% of the development plan funds are available.
  3. With these in place, the intending proprietor writes to the Permanent Secretary (PS/ES), MoES, explaining his intentions and requesting for guidance to establish a vocation School.
  4. Fill up the application form as prescribed by the Ministry of Education and sports and must be approved by the District Education Officer(DEO)
  5. The proprietor seeks inspection of the school/institution by DIS/MIS and D/MHI to assess compliance with the requirements stipulated in Section 31 of the Education–(Business, Technical,and Vocational Education Act 12).
  6. The District/Municipal Inspectors of Schools(D/MIS) and District/Municipal Health inspectors(D/MHI) after inspection write detailed inspection reports,and endorse the application forms and forwards to DEO/MEO to endorse application form as well.
  7. The District/Municipal Education Officer forwards(3)three copies of the application forms and the relevant supporting documents on (3) three files to the PS/ES (in case of post primary) and CAO/Town Clerk (in case of Primary).
  8. The PS/ES (in case of post primary),CAO/Town Clerk(in case of primary),basing on the reports or recommendations from the district or a report following a physical inspection by the inspectors,approves or rejects the application for licensing.
  9. The PS/ES/CAO/Town Clerk upon approval awards an operational licence to the school/institution to last for (2)two school years as stipulated in Section 32 of the Business, Technical, and Vocational Education Act 12.
    • Copies of the licence are also sent to the Director for Directorate of Education Standards,District/Municipal Education Officer, and District /Municipal Inspector of Schools.
  10. MoES/DEO/MEO retains one file;the second file is for the DEO and the third file is for the school.The proprietor ensures that the school is given a copy.
  11. Six months to the expiry of the two-year licence, the proprietor collects from the MoES (Headquarter), District/Municipal Education Offices a form for Registration.
  12. Six months to the expiry of the two year licence, the proprietor Must Re-register the School and in case the school does not qualify for re-registration,the proprietor must apply for renewal of license within one month of expiry of the license and it is granted once. License renewal is for one year only.If at the end of the year of renewal the proprietor is not ready to register the school,it will be closed summarily by PS/ES.
  13. All new schools/institutions should start at the beginning of the academic year as set out in the schools/institutions calendar issued from time to time by the Ministry of Education and Sports.
    • Applications for licensing schools,such as(Business, Technical, and Vocational Education schools),should therefore be submitted to the PS/ES /CAO/Town Clerk starting from June.
    • Licenses will be issued by the 30th December so that schools can start in January or February of the preceding year.
  14. The proprietor must provide copies of the occupancy permit for the school structures

Required Documents[edit]

  • 3 Referees. Men or women of standing in society from the school area.
  • 4 Photographs of the(overview with school sign post, students on assembly & in class,latrines and school buildings in general).
  • Attach the license if request is for Registration
  • Bank statements and proof of financing (recent).
  • Building plan technically drawn and clearly indicating school name and building specifications
  • Head teachers CV & Photo
  • Health Inspectors Report
  • L.C III Recommendation Letter
  • Land title
  • LC III Chairperson’s letter confirming that the school is within the sub county
  • Original Proprietor (s) CVs
  • Partnership Deed/Memorandum and Articles of Association
  • Proprietors photographs (original)
  • School Inspectors Report (detailed)
  • School rules/code of contract approved by the Board of Governors and/or School Management Committee
  • Signed Contracts with and copy of terms of service for teachers
  • Site/Layout
  • Staff certificates (photocopies verified by Teacher Education Department–4th floor UDC building)
  • Tenant agreements

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministry of Education & Sports - Head Office,
Physical Address:Legacy Towers, Nakasero
Kyadondo Road
Block A And B
Postal address:P. O. BOX 7063 Kampala,
Uganda King George VI Way,
Embassy House,
Tel: 0417 893 600 (General)
Tel: 0417 893 615 (P.R.O)
Email: [email protected]


  • Any person, who wants to set up Vocation education school/institution, can apply.
  • The person or chairman of the school should be aware of the fact that the schools registered independently must operate in terms of the constraints set by the Constitution and National as well as District legislation.
  • Non-governmental organisations, religious organisations and associations, private companies and individuals may provide BTVET to individuals for gainful employment and self-reliance, in accordance with BTVET principles.


  • Please approach the department office for any other fees details .But license and registration of schools is free of charge.


  • Valid for 5 years.

Documents to Use[edit]

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Maximum processing time:Upon fulfillment of the requirements.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.


Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents.
e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name and address of applicant
  • Particulars of the applicant
  • Particulars of the school
  • Capital costs
  • Business information
  • Particulars of staff composition

Need for the Document[edit]

  • The document is a proof that he/she adheres to the quality and standard of the education institution as well as the welfare of pupils and students.

Information which might help[edit]

Institution institutes measures to:-

  • Control access to its premises
  • Ensure security within its premises
  • Manage undisciplined and criminal minded teachers and learners.
  • Prevent crime
  • Recruit and train guards
  • Ensure infrastructural safety

The institution should have:

  • Copy of the Road Safety Code.
  • Guidelines on the functions of the staff and student Safety and Security Committees
  • The learners sensitized on personal and national safety and security matters at least twice a term (at the beginning and the end of term)
  • Organized fire drills at the beginning of term
  • Firefighting equipment located outside each building
  • A twenty-metre fire-free protection zone around the institution hedge(rural schools)
  • A lightening conductor/arrester
  • Buildings with door and window shutters
  • Door and window shutters with locks and bolts respectively and opening outwards
  • Trained guards working day and night
  • Safety and Security school rules and regulations
  • Proper facility for disposing glass, metal and sanitary pads/towels
  • Schools should have land titles for the land on which they are located
  • All storied buildings to have emergency exits
  • Guidelines on Safety and Security issued by Inspector General of Police (IGP)
  • Fire detection systems e.g. smoke detectors, alarm system control panels, break glass panels or any other appropriate detection mechanism
  • Fire prevention systems e.g.use of fire retardant in construction, management of storage materials, emergency plans, fool-proof safety mechanisms etc.
  • Firefighting gadgets e. extinguishers, fire sprinklers,hydrant points/rings,hose reels etc. located in appropriate places
  • Emergency preparedness system
  • Emergency contacts display
  • Emergency routes/evacuation plan
  • Plan for training emergency rescue teams,for swimming pools, fire etc
  • Quest emergency response information
  • School rules and regulations on prevention of violence and abuse
  • Prevention of violence procedures
  • Mechanisms for reporting abuse or violence
  • Response to cases of violence(psychosocial system,heath care counseling referrals)
  • Peer to peer support mechanism(reporting and monitoring)
  • Psychosocial system e.g.
  1. Spiritual and moral care
  2. Life skills e.g prevention of self-harm,peer abuse,abuse by adults and societal abuse.
  • Ensures the quality and standard of the education institutions as well as the welfare of pupils and students.
  • to provide for the promotion and coordination of business, technical, vocational education and training;
  • to provide for the principles governing BTVET;
  • to establish the institutional framework for the promotion and coordination of BTVET;
  • to establish the Uganda Vocational Qualifications Framework;
  • to provide for the financing of BTVET and for other related matters.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]