Uganda - Apply for Waste water discharge permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To obtain a waste water discharge permit in Uganda, Please contact the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) who should be able to help you.
- Complete and submit the application form (Form A) that is obtained from the NEMA office and submit the same to The Director National Environment management Authority along with the required documents.
- The submitted document shall be review by the Director and other lead agency /Environment management conservation committee considering the following:-
- the existing authorized and projected quality of water in, and down-stream of the area;
- any adverse effect which the discharge of waste is likely to have on –
- the existing authorized uses of water;
- possible future beneficial uses of water;
- any aquifer or waterway, including effects on land which forms the waterway or its surroundings;
- the environment, including the river and riparian environment;
- in-stream uses of water.
- the minimum water quality standards and effluent discharge standards established Nantional environment Act.
- any guidelines or conditions relating to waste discharge permits prescribed by the Minister.
- Government policy on environment management and conservation.
- the comments of any public authority to which an application is referred under section 30 of the Water Act.
- any other matter which the Director may considers relevant to the application.
- The Environmental Management and conservation committee shall—
- within thirty days, require an applicant to prepare and submit plans or further information to support any application made;
- enter any land to which an application relates and undertake any investigations that are necessary for considering the application;
- If convinced by the applicant’s documents, the environmental management and conservation committee can grant or reject the application.
- After confirmation and authorization from Environmental management and conservation committee and other authorities the applicant can proceed to pay a Licence fee.
- The director shall at least on two separate occasions publish, in a newspaper of general circulation in the area to which the application relates, a notice summarizing the nature of any application received.
- The director may also give such other public notice of the application as he or she considers appropriate in the circumstances;
- The Director may give written notice of the application to any person whom he or she considers may be adversely affected by the discharge of the waste to which the application relates.
- The Director shall invite submissions on the application in any notice given under this regulation within thirty days of the date of the notice or such longer period as the Director thinks appropriate in the circumstances.
- When the director is satisfied that the works have been completed in accordance with the works approval. The Director shall approve an application for a waste discharge permit in respect of any premises for which a works approval has been granted.
- The permit issued under sub-regulation (1) may provide for the requirement of an environmental impact assessment or provide restrictions on the use wetlands.
- The applicant shall be responsible for all the expenses incurred under sub-regulation.
- The Director when granting a waste discharge permit in respect to any land,shall not attach conditions relating to the execution of additions, alterations or modifications to the premises which are any more onerous for the applicant than any condition previously attached to a works approval.
- A permit is required for each separate discharge. If you currently discharge or propose to discharge from more than one point, then a separate application form must be completed for each and every discharge.
- Application form (form A)
- Prepare and submit plans water waste management.
- Existing authorized and projected quality of water in, and down-stream of the area
- Report on an environmental and social impact assessment.
- Information relating to the plant location.
- Information relating to material or technology design
- Document on an emergency preparedness and response system designed to prevent, detect, stop, remove or limit the impact of the wastage discharge .
- a contingency plan on wastage discharge.
- an addendum to the EIA report.
- Site location map/google map of the project area also showing the surrounding environs.
Office Locations & Contacts
National Environment Management Authority
Postal Address: P. O. BOX 22255 Kampala,Uganda
Tel: +256 414 251064, +256 414 251065, +256 414 251068
Physical Address: NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road
Email Address: [email protected]
Website:National Environment Management Authority
- Individuals/individual /Association /public Authority/corporate bodies to whom a works approval has been issued;
- individuals/individual /Association /public Authority/corporate bodies who is or proposes to be –
- the owner or operator of any industry or trade which discharges or which will discharge effluent or waste into the aquatic environment or on land.
- responsible for producing, storing, discharging or disposing of any waste, or any waste containing a substance specified in the Second Schedule to these regulations;
- owner engaged in any trade specified in the water Act disposing waste water into land or aquatic environment.
- the owner or occupier of any premises specified in the water waste discharge Act from which waste may come into contact with water, directly or indirectly;
- are Eligible for applying to the Director for a waste discharge permit
Waste Water Discharge Permit as UGX 650,000/=.
Valid for 3 years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Processing takes 3 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- No person shall discharge effluent or waste on land or into the aquatic environment contrary to the standards established under regulation 3 unless he or she has a permit in the format specified and issued by the Director.
- Any person who contravenes the provision of water wastage discharge Act commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to the penalty prescribed under section 40 of the Statute.
- Any person aggrieved by the decision of the Director may appeal to the Minister, in the format set out in Form D of the Fourth Schedule, setting out the grounds of objection.
- Information on the existing authorized uses of water
- Information on the possible future beneficial uses of water
- any aquifer or waterway, including effects on land which forms the waterway or its surroundings
- the environment, including the river and riparian environment
- in-stream uses of water
- information on the minimum water quality standards and effluent discharge standards
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- The holder of a permit under these regulations shall apply to the Director to cancel and re-issue a permit so as to amend the terms of the original permit due to the subsequent changes or modifications in operation which lead to relevant or significant changes in discharges.
- If the Director approves an application he or she shall set out in the notice given under sub-regulation (1) of this regulation any condition to be attached to the discharge permit.
- If the Director rejects an application, he or she shall set out in the notice referred to under the regulation, the reasons for rejecting the application.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.