Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Apply for Transfer of Motor Vehicle for Returning Residence

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Visit the Uganda embassy abroad near your Location.
  2. Pick a registration form.
  3. Fill the form with your Tax identification Number TIN and the other information required.
  4. Fill the form accurately before submitting.
  5. Attach all the necessary documents and go to the payment counter pay the required fees.
  6. Then submit the application.
  7. Upon submission, you will get an -acknowledgment receipt.
  8. Submit application to embassy attache Licensing officer for approval with attachments.
  9. Upon approval by the attache Licensing officer, a receipt and certificate of return will be issued
  • Returning residents are allowed to import personal and household goods including one motor vehicle on a duty-free basis.
  • These vehicles can be transferred at the expiry of two years. In case it is less than two years, then applicant can be advised to get a clearing agent and pay taxes.
  • For specialized vehicles e.g. refrigerated trucks where the purpose has changed, taxes must be paid.
  • If you are a Ugandan living abroad and consider returning to Uganda, those are some of the regulations that you should be aware of. However, duties and taxes are payable for any Vehicle that are not exempt at the applicable rates.

Required Documents[edit]

  • Original Passport (if issued within last 2 years, the old Passport is also required)
  • Residence Visa / Work Permit – original
  • PIN Certificate
  • Original Bill of Lading / Air Waybill
  • Comprehensive Valued vehicle Inventory – 3 copies, detailed per Vehicle numbered and signed by owner
  • Packing List and other necessary support documents.
  • Authority Letter nominating a licensed custom clearing agent to act on his/her behalf

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Uganda Revenue Authority Headquarters:
Plot M193/M194, Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279, Kampala, Uganda.
Phone: +256 414744000, 0800117000 (toll free)
Email: [email protected]
Website:Uganda Revenue Authority
Other offices: Kampala South located at Old Kampala Mosque,
Kampala North located in Bwaise (Mulago Kalerwe Round about).

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Crested Towers (Tall Tower)
Tel: 041-7443000, 041-7443134

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Nakawa (HQRS)
Tel: 041-7440000, 041-7442042



  • To be Eligible the returning Residence must attained the age of eighteen years.
  • The Applicant must have used the vehicle outside Uganda for at least twelve months (excluding the period of voyage in the case of shipment),
  • The vehicle must be owned and registered in the name of applicant, and where the motor vehicle is purchased on hire purchase terms, the first installment must have been paid and delivery taken at least twelve months prior to importation.


  • Goods up to the value of US Dollars three hundred (US $ 300) for each traveler.
  • Returning residents are allowed to import one motor vehicle on a duty-free basis.


  • It has no validity period.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

  • Maximum Processing time 21 days.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.



  • Fill application form accurately
  • Have all the required documents read;
  • A separate application must be submitted for each imported vehicle.
  • New vehicles must be titled and registered prior to be used in the country.

Required Information[edit]

  • Vehicle registration number;
  • The vehicle engine number.
  • Chassis number.
  • The current owner full names (as in the log book);

Need for the Document[edit]

Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate? 

Information which might help[edit]

  • The returning residence must have proof of living abroad and their goods must be imported within 3 months of arrival. However, the Commissioner can grant an extension of up to one year.
  • Importation of a duty-free motor vehicle excludes buses and minibuses of seating capacity of more than 13 passengers and commercial vehicles of 2 tones and above.
  • A Ugandan resident returning from a country that operates left-hand drive (LHD) motor vehicles is allowed to import a replacement right hand drive (RHD) vehicle from any other source.
  • However, the replacement motor vehicle current retail selling price should not exceed that of the previously owned left-hand drive vehicle.
  • The returning resident must show proof that they owned and personally used the left-hand drive vehicle in the country of former residence for a period of at least one year, prior to their return.
  • They must also provide proof of disposal (transfer of ownership) of the previously owned vehicle before changing residence from the former country of residence.
  • The general condition is that the goods must be the property of the passenger and accompanying the passenger.
  • The goods must be for personal or household use of the passenger and of such kinds and quantities as the proper officer (Customs Officer) may allow and in accordance with the specified restrictions under these exemption provisions.
  • The returning residents and business or individuals deemed to be of national importance are issued with number plates bearing white characters against a red background. These are duty free that is tax exempted. For instance tours and travel businesses, racing vehicles, non- government organizations and more.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]



More information which might help people.