Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Apply for Transfer of Motor Vehicle (Transfer Car logo)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


This is a process where a taxpayer changes ownership of a vehicle. This process involves changing the already registered names for a motor vehicle to another name. This can be as a result of a sale, gift, Court Orders, Police instructions, etc.
Apply Online:
Step 1
The applicant has to access Uganda Revenue Authority web portal on the following link Uganda Revenue Authority, enter user id (TIN) and password and click login
Step 2
Check On the left hand side for an icon marked ‘Motor vehicle registration’, select Motor vehicle application and select new form.
Step 3
Select purpose and enter all mandatory details
Step 4
Enter declarant’s details, crosscheck vehicle registration details and click Next
Step 5
Enter TIN of the transferee and his/her bio data will be auto populated Under attachments, select documents and click next.
Step 6
Click register payment and select the payment mode and bank you want to use to pay the transfer fees
Step 7
Click submits. On submission of the form an e-acknowledgement receipt,payment registration receipt and notice for assessment are generated
Step 8
Print the form and submit with paid bank slip to the URA office
Step 9
URA will notify the one whom you have transferred to. The log book is availed to the owners account through the web portal

Please Note:

  • The transfer of ownership from a private (personal) to another person, number plates should not change.
  • In case a corporation enjoys duty free status, and decides to sell any of their vehicles to a private person, then the duty free status ceases and taxes as mentioned earlier must be paid before transfer.However,the corporations with duty free status are free to sell to fellow corporations with similar status and maintain the number plate but should inform Ministry of Finance.

Required Documents[edit]

  • Application forms signed by both parties and stamped if it’s a company.
  • Sales Agreement bearing stamp duty Embossment.
  • Copy of the original Logbook of the vehicle.
  • Copy of the original identification documents of both parties(seller and buyer)
  • Log book
  • Identity card
  • Registration certificate
  • Payment slips

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Uganda Revenue Authority Headquarters
Plot M193/M194, Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279, Kampala, Uganda.
Phone: +256 414744000, 0800117000 (toll free)
Email: [email protected]
Website:Uganda Revenue Authority
Other offices: Kampala South located at Old Kampala Mosque,
Kampala North located in Bwaise (Mulago Kalerwe Round about).

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Crested Towers (Tall Tower)
Tel: 041-7443000, 041-7443134

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Nakawa (HQRS)
Tel: 041-7440000, 041-7442042



  • Applicants must be owners with valid registration Log book in order to apply for a transfer of a Vehicle.


  • Motorcycles 74,000
  • Motor cars and other dual purpose vehicles, excluding light goods vehicles 84,000
  • Other motor vehicles, trailers, tractors or engineering plants 104,000


  • It has no validity period.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

  • Maximum time for processing is 10 days.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.



  • Fill application form accurately
  • Have all the required documents read;
  • A separate application must be submitted for each Motor Vehicle Transfer.
  • New vehicles must be titled and registered prior to being issued.

Required Information[edit]

  • Vehicle registration number;
  • The vehicle engine number for the motorcycle;
  • Chassis number
  • The current owner full names (as in the log book);

Need for the Document[edit]

Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate? 

Information which might help[edit]

  • For a vehicle whose importer went into agreement with Customs and Head Legal department of URA for part payments,no transfer can be affected without completing the dues.
  • In such a situation, there is usually an agreement duly signed by all concerned parties for the amount to be paid in installments and time period allowed.
  • For vehicles with personalized number plates, the vehicle number plates are not transferable.
  • The vehicle has to be re-registered and given new numbers and Number plates should be surrendered before a transfer is affected.
  • For transfers from a minor, authority from the High Court judge is necessary.
  • Where letters of administration exist, the transfer should first be made to the beneficiary.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]



More information which might help people.