Uganda - Apply for Student Loan
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The process shall be as follows
- The Ministry of Education and Sports will run an official advert in the major print media of national coverage calling eligible students to apply for loans.
- Eligible student then applies to the Board for the loan or scholarship by:-
- Obtaining and filling in application form from Universities (office of the dean of students); Regional Uganda Post office across the country or the Ministry website http://www.education.go.ug;
- Attach all required documents; and
- Make all necessary payments
- Submit application within a specified timeframe to the office of the
- Deans of Students. The forms shall then be collected by the staff of Students Loan Taskforce.
- Loan Application Forms shall then be received by the Records Officer at the Students Loan Scheme offices.
- Received application forms shall be recorded at the Mail registry and forwarded to the Operations Unit (Loan Officers) for assessment. In this case any forms that are defective the applicant shall be informed through e-mail, sms message or by telephone.
- Then a list of successful applicants shall be generated and sent to the Head Operations for verification, and evaluation and recommendation to the coordinator for approval.
- The coordinator then presents the approved list to the Selection Committee for discussion and final approval.
- If approved, the Coordinator forwards the list to the Head Operations and Finance for the implementation. Implementation will include authorization, publishing list in the print media and on the Ministry website and drafting of the award letters for the Coordinators signature.
- The successful applicants are then informed of the Committees decision and the amount allocated.
- The board shall then go through the applications to select suitable beneficiaries;
- After selection, the Board shall allocate a student loan identification numbers to each approved applicant;
- Identification cards shall be issued;
- The funds in respect to the tuition and functional fees will be forwarded to the Higher Educational Institution bankers.
- Copies of previous Academic documents
- A copy of an admission letter from the institution of higher education.
- A copy of a document identifying the applicant:
- Three recent passport photographs.
- Chart of prescribed fees.
Office Locations & Contacts
Students Loan Task force,
Department of Higher Education,
Ministry of Education and Sports
Plot 14-16 Parliamentary Avenue
Jubilee Insurance Centre/IPS Building.
P. O. BOX 7063, KAMPALA-UGANDA.
Applicants must be Ugandan students seeking to pursue higher education in an accredited institution of higher learning recognized by the National Council for Higher Education and also pursuing an accredited programme.
Processing fee is now 20,000/= per student payable in the bank on / Students' Loan Scheme (MoES/SLS).
This varies basing on the duration of course of applicant.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The time shall vary as indicated in different adverts.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Applicants must be Ugandan students ONLY.
- Applicants must be admitted to an accredited Higher Educational Institution.
- Make a written application to the Students Loan Scheme
- Submission of application should be within a specified timeframe.
- Students should apply before commencement date to allow ample time for processing.
- Successful loan applicants shall be required to sign the loan agreement.
- Re- paying of loan shall be at least one (1) year after completion education
- Full name of applicant
- Sex, Age and marital status
- Education background
- Details of enrolling institution
- Details of applicants course to studied at the institution mentioned above
- Duration of course
- Commencement and end dates of study;
- Amount of tuition and other required payment;
- Bankers of the enrolling institution.
Need for the Document
The government student/education loan in Uganda was established to ensure equal opportunities for all Ugandans to attain higher education. The Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Education and Sports has introduced the students' loan scheme and is set to start 2014. The student loan is set to cater for tuition fees, functional fees, and research fees, which fees shall be sent directly to the University or other tertiary institution of beneficiary to ensure that funds are not diverted but delivered for intended use.
Information which might help
- Prior to acquisition of loan, all the beneficiaries shall be sensitized on the financial implication of taking a loan and their obligation as loan beneficiaries
- It is important to note that the Loan has an approved interest rate.
- For the start, the loan shall benefit 1,000 students admitted under Science related programs in both Public and Private Universities.
- An issued student loan card shall containing the name of beneficiary, a photograph and a student loan identification number
- The reason for submission of application to deans of Students is to ensure limited congestion at the offices of.
- In future application forms will be downloaded from either the Students Loan Scheme Boards website
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- There is hope that the introduced the Students Loan Scheme will:
- Ensure quality education to beneficiaries
- The loan is assumed to have a relatively low interest rate hence shall save students from issues of high interest rates in other financial institutions.
- Ensure equal access to technical and higher education in Uganda;
- Qualified Ugandan students who cannot afford tuition fees in higher institutions have a chance for school fees payment;
- The scheme shall ensure regional balance in higher education services in Uganda;
More information which might help people.