Uganda - Apply for Street Hawkers Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
A Street Hawker is a seller,who's license is issued by the licensing authority. They are permitted to sell by retail in any street by any means available including a vehicle or render a service as the Minister may specify.
To obtain a Street Hawker Licence, please follow these steps.
- Apply for the procedure using the appropriate Form to the Licensing Authority in any city, municipality or town established under the Local Governments Act, and include the following information
- Indicate the kind of food/item to be hawked.
- Indicate the area, street, district, town/municipality/division which the hawking is to take place.
- Indicate the hours during which the goods may be hawked, and such other conditions as the licensing authority may think fit to impose.
- Fill in all the required information on the form and attach the prescribed documents on the application form including
- a photocopy of the National identification number,
- approval from the Health Authorities (must be obtained in case the hawker is in Food business).
- No Objection declaration by the Environmental Health Directorate at the Local governments in the case of sale of food and beverages.
- Passport-size photo of the Applicant.
- Pay the appropriate fee specified in the application form,
- The licensing Authority will process the application within 7 working days.
- Once approved the Licensing Authority shall grant to the applicant a hawkers Licence.
- The Licence is issued bearing the name of the applicant and the type of commercial activity.
- Where the Applicant intends to employs a servant to hawk goods on his or her behalf, the servant shall take out, in his or her own name, a Licence to be carried by the servant when so employed
- Where it is desired that more servants than one shall be so employed, an additional Licence shall be taken out in respect of each additional servant.
- The Licence issued to the Street Hawker shall, together with the last receipt of the paid licence, be displayed in a conspicuous place by the Licensee when conducting his or her commercial activity.
- If you decide to cease carrying out your commercial activity, you should immediately notify the city, municipality or town Local licensing authorities established under the Local Governments Act, by completing and submitting the appropriate form.
For the purposes of granting a trading Licence or hawkers Licence under the Act
- (a)in any city, municipality or town, other than an administration town, the licensing authority shall be the town clerk of the respective council;
- (b) in any area, other than the areas specified in trading Licence Act, the licensing authority shall be such person as may be appointed for that purpose by the appropriate administration of a district.
- Copy of national identification card.
- Copy of report from health authorities(in case of sale of food and beverages)
- Passport-size photo of the Applicant.
- No Objection declaration by the Environmental Health Directorate in the case of sale of food and beverages.
- Certificate of Registration
- Statement of Particulars
- Certificate of incorporation
- Company form 18 and 20
- Original Certificate of incorporation of the company (new Business/Company)
- Form 18 and 20
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House, Kampala
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 21
Call Center: +256 417 338 100
URSB Fax: +256 414 250 712
Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA)
City Hall, Plot 1-3, Apollo Kaggwa Road
PO BOX 7010 Kampala - Uganda
Head Office<br. Tel: 0204 66 00 00 Tel: +256 414581294
Toll free line: 0800 99 00 00
ecitie Service Contact: 0204 66 00 49
- All Municipal Council offices across the country
- Municipal Offices (MOs) in all Districts of Uganda.
- Town Councils Offices (TCOs)in all Districts of Uganda
- City Town Boards (CTBOs) in all Districts of Uganda
- Division Area Councils (DACs)in all Districts of Uganda
- District council Boards (DCBs)In All Districts in Uganda
- Any natural person may apply for a Street Hawker License
- If a person holds two Street Hawker Licenses, one for food products and another for non-food products, the person cannot operate both licenses at the same time.
- Street Hawkers cannot retail alcoholic beverages.
- Street Hawkers of fruit and vegetables only or fish only, cannot retail ice cream products, pre-cooked food and drinks, except for water.
- Grade I - 37,500 Ugx
- Grade II - 15,000 Ugx
- Grade III - 15,000 Ugx.
Valid for 1 year
- Unless earlier revoked, a hawkers Licence granted under the market Act in respect of any year shall expire on the thirty-first day of December of that year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Maximum Processing Time: 1 Day
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
- The Service Bureau provides comprehensive Helpdesk services and advice to clients on issues relating to Trading Licenses and Hawker Licenses.
- A hawkers Licence granted under Market Act shall be personal to the holder of the Licence and shall not be transferable.
- The Applicant who holds a hawkers Licence granted to him or her shall carry his or her Licence with him or her at all times while he or she is acting as a hawker.
- The Applicant shall produce the Licence for inspection on the demand of any administrative officer, police officer or any person authorized in writing by the licensing authority.
- Name of the owner
- Information about the business(individual, Sole Proprietorship, partnership)
- Residential address of the applicant
- Nationality of the applicant
- Tin number and password
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
No hawkers Licence shall be required in respect of any person who acts as a hawker of
- fish, poultry, vegetables, eggs, fruits, victuals, firewood or newspapers
- any goods bonafide made by his or her handicraft in or on any premises where the applicant normally resides or by the handicraft of persons residing with him or her or who are his or her employees or members of his or her family
- any other goods which the Minister may, by statutory instrument, declare to be goods which may be hawked without a hawkers Licence under the Act.
- A licensing authority may refuse to grant a hawkers Licence under without assigning any reason for the refusal, and may revoke any hawkers Licence granted under this section if it is satisfied that any of the terms and conditions upon which the hawkers Licence was granted has been contravened.
- Any applicant who is aggrieved by the refusal of the licensing authority to grant him or her a hawkers Licence may appeal to the Minister whose decision is final.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.