Uganda - Apply for Slaughterhouse Licence (permit)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Licence or Permit for slaughterhouse can be obtained from Municipal Council Authority near your Location.
- A person shall not slaughter any animal or bird intended for sale to the public or intended for public consumption, except in a licensed slaughterhouse.
- A person shall not, within the boundaries of the Municipal Council, slaughter an animal or bird in a slaughterhouse except with the permission of the Municipal Council.
- Fill up the appropriate application form as described by the Municipal council.
- After filling the form proceed to pay the prescribed fee
- Submit the dully filled in form attached with pay slip to the Authorized Officer in charge of the area in which the slaughterhouse is located or nearby Authorized Health inspector office whose officers shall carryout inspection of your Slaughterhouse.
- Collect your Slaughterhouse Licence certificate from where your application was submitted within two days from the date the application was received at municipality in case there is no rejection.
- In case of Butcher shops business permit/Licence can be directly collected from Town clerk of the Municipality or Division/City Authority.
- The Municipal Council may fix the hours for the slaughter of animals or birds on the slaughterhouse permit.
NOTE: A person shall not enter any slaughterhouse in the Municipal Council’s area of jurisdiction without the permission of the Council except that an authorized worker shall be permitted to enter during working hours.
- Clearance from Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives for non-nationals
- For new business - original certificate of registration (Business name)
- Certificate of incorporation (Company)
- Proof letter from Uganda Registration Services Bureau
- Original rent and tenancy agreement from the Land lord for the new slaughterhouse.
- Original trading License for the previous year for already existing business
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries(MAAIF)
Lugard Avenue Entebbe
P.O. Box 102 Entebbe, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 320 006
Email Address: email@example.com
Website:Ministry of Agriculture
Kampala Capital City Authority
Plot 1-3 Sir Appolo Kaggwa Road
PO BOX 7010 Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 204 660000, +256 414 581294
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website:Kampala City Council Authority
Or Contact your Municipal Council offices across the country Municipal Regional Offices
Municipal council Headquarters Offices spread across the country.
Gulu Municipal Council HQ
C/O District Local Government Airport road
P.O.BOX 201 Gulu
Phone: +256 751000910
Email Address: Gulumnc@gmail.com
Mbarara Municipal Council HQ
Council Building (White House)
District Local Government Plot No,12 Galt Road,Mbarara
P. O. Box 290, Mbarara, Uganda.
Phone: +256 485420955
Jinja Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Busoga Square
P.O Box 720, Jinja, Uganda
Email Address: email@example.com
Entebbe Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Circular Road, Plot 2A Entebbe.
P.O Box 32 Entebbe, Uganda
Phone: +256 772 489 466
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bushenyi District Local Government
District Local Government Mbarara - Kasese road.
P.O Box 01 Bushenyi, Uganda
Email Address: email@example.com
Lira Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Lira - Gulu Road.
P.O.Box 49, Lira, Uganda
Phone: +256(0473) 420219
Kasese District Local Government
District Local Government Rukooki, Kasese
P.O Box 250, Rukooki, Kasese, Uganda
Phone: +256 392888974
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Kitgum Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Achua County Kitgum
P.O Box 28,Kitgum, Uganda
Kitgum municipal Council
Mubende District Local Government
District Local Government Mubende town
P.O Box 93,Mubende Uganda
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hoima Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Hoima, Kampala Road
P.O.Box 149, Hoima, Uganda
Phone: +256 772 566776
Email Address: email@example.com
Kira Municipal Council
P.O Box 25749, Kampala, Uganda
Nansana Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Nansana Town Wakiso
P.O Box 7218, Kampala Uganda
Phone: +256 702 459893, +256 704 308272
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Masaka Municipal Council HQ
District Local Government Plot 11 Elgin Street
P.O.BOX 201 Masaka
Email Address: email@example.com
All persons interested in slaughtering animals,operating Slaughterhouse, are Eligible provide they meet the requirements of the Ministry of Agriculture Animal industries and Fisheries.
The Municipal Council shall determine the fees payable for the slaughter of animals or birds in a slaughterhouse from time to time.
Valid for 1 year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Maximum processing time is 2 days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
An owner of a slaughterhouse shall not allow or permit any animal or bird other than an animal or bird intended for slaughter in a slaughterhouse.
- Name of Licensee
- Licence Number
- Name of the slaughterhouse
- Date of issue
- Signature of the Applicant.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- Every person having custody of an animal or bird intended for slaughter in a slaughterhouse shall deliver the animal or bird to a slaughterhouse or a place appointed by the Municipal Council for the slaughter of animals or bird not later than twelve hours prior to the slaughtering of the animal or bird.
- An authorized officer may at any time examine an animal or bird intended for slaughter in a slaughterhouse and may forbid the slaughtering of the animal or bird if he or she is of the opinion that the animal or bird is diseased.
- An authorized officer may at any time detain any meat in a slaughterhouse for examination by a medical officer of health or a veterinary officer; and where the medical officer of health or veterinary officer is of the opinion that the meat is unfit for human consumption, the authorized officer may order the destruction of the meat.
- This permit shall not apply to meat lawfully imported into Uganda that has been slaughtered in a slaughterhouse recognized by the Municipal Council.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.