Uganda - Apply for Refugee Passport (Special Traveling Document)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
How to apply
- Eligible Applicant should gather all the requirements and visit the ministry of immigration or the Regional Immigration Office, approach services desk and request for the application form
- Read through the instruction carefully and fill it accurately with a clear hand writing,
- Applicant should then register payment for the application by visit the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) website portal through the online process provided below.
- Upon printing out the acknowledge payment receipt via the URA website portal , Head to the designated bank you had chosen on the URA fee application form and make the necessary payment upon which you will be issued with a bank receipt slip as proof of payment
- File your documents in a manila file folder and present them IN PERSON to the receiving officers at the Passport Receiving Section at the Ministry of Internal Affairs or your nearest Passport Control Office or the Regional Immigration Office.
- Your application will be verified and processed extensively by the office of prime ministry (OPM) and the immigration office and if all the information are in order you will be issue with the passport
- Applicant should use the following steps to make your own assessment (register your payment) via the URA website portal by Log on to (URA website), On the URA homepage, Click on e-Services
- You will be redirected to the next page, Click payment registration under payment.
- Then select other NTR. At this point, a form will appear requiring you to fill in the following:
- MDA: Select Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration.
- Other NTR Head: Select the facility you applied for. Remember the amount will fill its self by default.
- BPAF Number: File numbers begins with IM/Number/Year (Do not leave any space or gap while entering the file number).
- Payment Mode: Under Bank details; choose the preferred Payment mode, e.g. cash, cheque, etc.
- Bank Payment Mode: Manual
- URA’S Bank Name: Select URA's Preferred Bank of Your Choice. (E.G UBA, DTB, Orient, Etc.)
- Enter The Text Image As You See It.
- Click: Accept and register.
- Print out the acknowledgement payment receipt
- NB: All fields marked with a red star are mandatory. Do not fill in the TIN number unless the computer asks.
- Dully filled and signed application form
- Bank receipt slip (proof of payment)
- Refugee identification card
- Attach a copy of birth certificate, adoption order consent letter from parents/guardians in case of minors
- Attach any other information that may be relevant to the application
- 3 Colored Passport size photographs with a white back ground
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Immigration
Plot 75 Jinja Road
P. O. Box 7165 / 7191
Kampala - Uganda
Telephone contact: + 256 414 595 945
Fax: +256 414 348 707
Ministry of Justice / JLOS building: Nebbi Road Arua
Ministry of Justice / JLOS building: Gulu Municipality
RDC / Administration building: Masaba Road
Masindi Passport Center
Hoima Passport Center
Kampaya House: Old Fort-portal Road, Hoima town
Mbarara Regional Office
Mbarara Adminisration block: Mbarara-Kabale Road
Masaka Regional Office
Administration Building block: Masaka Municipality
Jinja Regional Office
Administration block: Busoga Square
Mubende Regional Office
Fortportal Regional Office
Administration Block: Boma Road
Lira Regional Office
District Chambers Building: Dr. Obote Avenue
Mityana Regional Office
Kampala Main Passport Office
American: Plot 75, Jinja Road next to British Tobbacco plant (BAT)
- Refugee’s living in Uganda
- The application fee will be charged the same as the normal passport fee UGX 250,000
- Fees info
- The passport is valid for 10 years as long as the refugee status still holds.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- HOW TO COMPLETE THE FORM
- All applicants must come with a national ID at the point of interview.
- Parents must fill in the consent letter while applying for passports for their children.
- All first time applicants for must complete all sections except section 7 of this form.
- The recommender in section 8 should be a citizen of Uganda of some standing.
- Two copies (3) of recent passport size photographs of the applicant must be included with application.
- These photographs must be taken full face without a hat, veil and must not be mounted with the ears and eyes clearly seen.
- Applicants must appear with the respective documents where necessary for each section (ie. National ID (NIN), birth certificate, marriage certificate, dual citizenship certificate, naturalization certificate, letter of recommendation, copy of recommenders ID, consent letter, passport size photo, adoption certificate)
- Applicants should appear after payment using the various platforms; bank, debit card or VISA.
- Applicants may require their fingerprints to be taken at the time of submission.
- Lost, mutilated, damaged passports attract a fine of 100,000 shs
- The applicant must sign a statutory declaration (affidavit) in case of lost or theft
- Full name of the applicant
- Date of birth of the applicant
- Nationality of the applicant
- Residential address of the applicant
- Next of kin details
- Parent’s details
- Detail of origin of the applicant
- Gender/marital status of the applicant
Need for the Document
- The refugee passport is a travel document for people who are recognised as refugees in Uganda enabling the applicant to be able to travel within countries that recognize the passport
Information which might help
- All Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration control (DCIC) services are paid for in any bank that collects NTR for Uganda Revenue Authority. You can easily make your own assessment before walking into the bank to go and make a payment. This will not only save your time, but it will also help to know the exact amount that you need to pay for the service.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- The Passport can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.