Uganda - Apply for Public Special Motorcycle (Boda-Boda) PSV License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicant who meets the requirements applies at Transport Licensing Board at the Ministry of works and Transport by submitting the following documents:
- Personal address
- National ID Number
- Log book for the Motorcycle
- Driving/Riders Licence
- Original and photo copy of identification document
- Original Health examination certificate issued by hospital of county level and above.
- Health certificate issued by the health officer at the municipal council.
- 2 passport photos with white background
- The Transport licensing officer will receive and Review the above documents,if he satisfied ,he will issue the application form to the applicant.
- Then Pick and fill the application form from the Ministry of works and transport.
- After filling the application, proceed to pay 10,000/= for special passenger vehicle (PSV).Mode of payments is pay in the Bank or debit transfer as prescribed on the application form.
- After you have paid and submitted a successful application, you will be issued with a payslip which can be used as proof of payment. Attach the same on the application form.
- The BodaBoda Special passenger Vehicle Licence is issued after 2 working days.Instructions about the collection of License are send via email and text..
- One is required to physically present themselves while collecting the Public Motorcycle (BodaBoda) Licence. Proof of identity is required while picking up the Bodaboda Licence.
- Download and fill in a Registration forms from this link Registration form or pick them from any Transport Licensing Board offices in Kampala, Mbarara, Fort Portal or Mbale.
- Present motorcycle for inspection at SGS Motor Vehicle Inspection Centres in Kawanda (Luwero Road), Nabingo (Masaka Road), Namulanda (Entebbe Road), Namanve (Jinja Road), upcountry centres in Mbarara,Mbale and Gulu and any mobile station located in different places from time to time.
- If motorcycle passes the test and is fit for use as a boda-boda, an inspection report is issued.
- Go to the URA Portal (www.ura.go.ug) or go to the TLB offices for tax assessment forms.
- Pay in the bank and obtain receipts of payment.
- Go to Transport Licensing Board with:
- Log Book.
- Where Log Book does not bear applicants name, a Lease agreement from financier of investment.
- Bank payment receipts for PSV Licence fees and Advance Income
- Tax (where no Tax Clearance Certificate has been issued by URA).
- Inspection report from SGS
- Third Party Insurance certificate
- Your Licence will be processed and issued within a week.
- Certificate of fitness.
- Motor third party insurance certificate.
- Motor Vehicle registration book.
- certificate of competence
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Works and Transport.
Transport Licensing Board,
Head Office Address
Off Jinja Road/ Old Port Bell Rd,
P.O. Box 7174, Kampala, Uganda
Tel phone: +256 414-320135/0414-321364
Email: [email protected]
Website:Ministry of works
All person with private motorcycles and wishes to carry passengers on BodaBoda with a charge in Uganda is eligible for this Licence.
Licence and Income Tax
- The PSV Licence costs sh10,000 Ugshs annually.
- Driving permit 30,000 Ugshs
- Advance Income Tax of 20,000 Ugshs.
- 30,000 Ugshs.
- Advance Income Tax of 20,000 Ugshs
- Validity: 1 Year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Maximum Processing Time: 2 Hours.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Motorcycle taxis (bodabodas) cannot operate in Uganda without a special passenger service vehicle (PSV) licence.
- Bio-data of the motorcyclist,
- The motorcycle’s Licence plate,
- Chassis and engine numbers.
- Type and Make of BodaBoda
- Division and village of operation.
- Contact address and telephone
- Owners Name
- Driver/ riders Name
- Number plate
- Stage name.
Need for the Document
The Purpose is to regulate public service motorcycles (boda bodas) and also to streamline bodabodas in Uganda.
Information which might help
- Boda-Boda services are chaotic (to the extent that they are often seen as a menace), due to a lack of visible enforcement of operating rules and good standards of service provision.
- Lack of regulation of the sector makes it difficult to control the operations, that is, reduce bad behaviour of Boda-Bodas, accidents and decrease the influx of unlicensed drivers.
- Despite being viewed by many as a menace, people use the Boda-Boda services and ride on them since they offer unique services.
- Operators and passengers usually do not have medical insurance. Insurance companies regard them as high risk and are reluctant to insure the operators and their passengers.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.