Uganda - Apply for Public Omnibus Operator License (Public service vehicles (PSV)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Instructions
- 11 Required Information
- 12 Need for the Document
- 13 Information which might help
- 14 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 15 External Links
- The applicant should Visit the Ministry of works and Transport department of Transport Licensing Board, pick and fill application forms(TR. V Form 3A)for both PSV Licenses and (Route Charts)
- After completing the filled Application forms should be submitted to the Transport Licensing Board for consideration.
- The applicant should present bus(es)/mini-bus(es) for inspection along with the following documentation:
- Log book.
- Other form of proof of ownership if log book does not bear applicants name.
- Lease agreement from financier of investment.
- Certificate of installation of a speed governor.
- Valid Third Party Insurance Certificate.
- For registered companies, copies of a Certificate of Incorporation,Memorandum and Articles of Association should be submitted to the Board for record purposes.
- Valid Driving Licence of proposed driver of the bus.
- The Driver has to be formally cleared by police inspectorate of vehicles, Naguru.
- If bus is fit for use as a PSV, an inspection report/certification report is issued with Bank Payment Advice Form (BPAF) for payment of Licence fees. If the bus is unfit, a defect sheet is issued to address defects.
- Obtain a receipt of payment from the bank
- Return to Transport Licensing Board with a receipt and obtain PSV Licence to carry passengers.
- Meeting of the existing operators convened. If there is no clash of timetables with existing operators, temporary route chart for three months is issued.
- No fees for route charts.
- Every driver of a Public Service Vehicle has to be vetted by Police and accredited by Transport Licensing Board and be issued with a Badge.
- If every condition of Licence is fulfilled and bus passes inspection, a one year confirmed Licence is issued.
- Download and fill in application forms(TR. V Form 3A) from this link Forms at the end of the document or pick them from any TLB offices in Kampala, Mbarara, Fort Portal or Mbale.
- Present vehicle for inspection at SGS Motor Vehicle Inspection Centres in Kawanda (Luwero Road), Nabingo (Masaka Road), Namulanda (Entebbe Road), Namanve (Jinja Road), upcountry centres in Mbarara, Mbale and Gulu and any mobile station located in different places from time to time.
- If vehicle passes the test and is fit for use as a PSV, an inspection report is issued.
- Go to the URA Portal (www.ura.go.ug) or go to the TLB offices for tax assessment forms.
- Pay in the bank and obtain a receipt of payment.
- Go to Transport Licensing Board with.
- Log Book.
- Where Log Book does not bear applicants name, a Lease agreement from financier of investment
- Bank payment receipts for PSV Licence fees and Advance Income
- Tax (where no Tax Clearance Certificate has been issued by URA).
- Inspection report from SGS
- Third Party Insurance certificate
- Your Licence will be processed and issued
- Certificate of fitness.
- Motor third party insurance certificate.
- Vehicle registration book.
- Valid driving permit
- Proof of payment
- Proposed Route charts
- Vetted police report.
- Inspection report/certificate
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- copies of a Certificate of Incorporation
- Valid Third Party Insurance Certificate
- Certificate of installation of a speed governor
- Other form of proof of ownership if log book does not exist.
- Log book
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Works and Transport
Transport Licensing Board,
Head Office Address.
Off Jinja Road/ Old Port Bell Rd,
P.O. Box 7174,Kampala, Uganda
Tel phone: +256 414-320135/0414-321364
All person with public motor vehicle and wishes to carry passengers in an omnibus for charge over such fixed route or routes in Uganda is eligible for this Licence.
The Licence fees:
- 8 to 19 passengers - 300,000 Ugshs
- 20 to 39 passengers - 500,000 Ugshs,
- 40 and above - 1,500,000 Ugshs.
- Advance Income tax of 20,000 Ugshs per seat except the driver.
- Validity: 1 Year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Maximum Processing Time: 2 Hours
- A licensed public omnibus or country taxicab operator shall give a minimum of six months’ notice to the board of his or her intention to surrender his or her Licence or of his or her intention not to seek renewal of his or her other licence after its expiration.
- Any person who causes a breakdown in any sector of the road transport industry or a deterioration in service to the public by failure to give the required notice specified by subsection (1),or by failure to comply with conditions attached to his or her operator’s licence which results in that licence being revoked by the board under section 75(6), commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine of not less than ten currency points and not exceeding fifty currency points.
- Names, Physical and Postal Address of Applicant
- Legal Status of the Applicant
- Certificate of Registration,
- Certificate of Incorporation,
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Information if the Applicant has ever been convicted of a criminal offence in Uganda or in any other country.
- information if you have ever acquired a Licence and state the nature of the Licence, date issued and the Licence number
Need for the Document
The document is used for regulating public service omnibus vehicles on traffic saftey. The document is required to allow vehicles to traveling across country borders.
Information which might help
The owner, the driver, the conductor and the baggage attendant of any public service vehicle or private omnibus which contravenes or fails to comply with any of the set provisions of regulations commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred shillings.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The document is needed when applying public omnibus operator’s vehicle licence.