Uganda - Apply for Permit to Import Drone
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Uganda has banned the importation of UAVS commonly known as Drones due to security reason. So as such there is no proper laws on how to import drones in Uganda.
- However the importation of Drone is for those interested in taking aerial shots while filming in Uganda.
- The applicant must temporarily import the drone into the country by requesting for permission from the Ministry of Defense
- The application to import a Drone in Uganda is a lengthy process involving other various permissions, documents and fees.
- To obtain a drone permit or license in Uganda the applicant has to contact the Ministry of Defense as well as Civil Aviation authority.
- The Applicant has to fill a form that includes import of a Drone and this should be done for minimum of three months in advance.
- Please make sure the importing company is registered in Uganda.
- The Applicant should write a special letter on the headed letter showing purpose of importing the drone.
- Also, application, must specify the purpose of the flight, drone details (including model/manufacturer/mounted equipment/value/price, serial number).
- The applicant should indicate the project to undertake with the drone.
- The Applicant has obligation to indicate the place where the project will take place before importing the Drone.
- The Applicant should make sure that the Importation of drones go through a clearance procedure with Uganda Revenue Authority (URA).
- The applicant should take the necessary insurance policies to protect against liabilities that may arise as a result of activities done under the importation process.
- The applicant after putting all the necessary documents together should forward them to the Permanent secretary Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife informing them of your filming intentions.
- After inspection by Ministry of Tourism and wildlife will then forward the application request to the ministry of Defense for permission to import a Drone.
- The Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife will then acknowledge reception and forward it to the Ministry of defense.
- Once at the Ministry of Defense, after scrutiny, the Ministry of defense will then request the security committee to assess before being forwarded to the Airforce base at Entebbe Airport.
- Then forward it to Civil Aviation Authority instructing them to permit or deny importation of the Drone mentioned in the application documents.
- Once permission is guaranteed, the ministry of defense will instruct Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and then write back to the line ministry to inform them about whether permission has been given or denied.
- But, should permission be granted, then the Applicant will be notified and even the security will be accessed in the areas where the project will be done.
- On satisfying the above requirements,
- A Drones import Permit is issued.
- Summary of information/particulars of the registered operator.
- Specific operations conditions of the permit.
- On satisfying the above requirements,
- Fully completed UCAA authorization application form CDF (chief of defense forces)
- Security clearance letter of no objection
- Flying zones detailed report
- Import clearance certificate
- Uganda Revenue Authority importation clearance for the drone
- Drone operations manual and specifications.
- Pilot’s drones training
- Certificate or license and class III medical certificate (where applicable).
- Proposed Geographical location and map of the area of operations.
- A copy of third party insurance.
- Proof of Payment receipt
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Defence
P.O. Box 3798,Kampala,Uganda
. Tel: 0414-565100
Tel: 0414-565118/9 Fax: 0414-222812
Website: Ministry of Defence Website
UGANDA CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY
P.O.Box 5536 Kla
+256 312 352 000
Uganda Civil Aviation Authority Website
- Resident [Ugandan]
- Resident [Foreigner]
Ushs200,000 + 18% VAT
Valid for 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- It may take up to 3-6 months to process a permit as there is a lot of bureaucracy associated with government Agencies
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- The use of drones in Uganda is not allowed over cities and crowds.
- This is to avoid accidents that may occur during the flying process resulting into hurting the people.
- Operations only in Uganda Airspace
- No operations near or in controlled Airspace e.g Airports
- Minimal risk of hazards to persons, property or other aircraft.
- Constant positive control and observation (VLOS)
- Operations I.A.W relevant Operations manual.
- Communicate with local authority before use.
- Advise Air Navigation services before use
- Each drone requires approval/Authorization before use.
- Must Operating within the provisional guidance and rules.
- Must be safe and not hazardous to people and property.
Organization Details (company operating the drone):
- Organization Name
- Type of Organization (private or government)
- Organization address
- Organization contact
- Name & contact number of accountable person
- Trade License No.
- Insurance details covering drone operations
- Date of birth
- Passport No.
- Nation registration ID No.
- Visa No. (if applicable)
- Flying purpose in the Uganda (private/commercial)
- Type of Operations (survey/media/entertainment/etc.)
- Area of operations (provide Google map coordinates)
- Max Height of operations:
- Is the operation during day time or night time?
- Drone Engine Type (fuel or electrical)
- Drone Manufacturer name
- Drone Serial number
- Drone weight with payload
- Drone weight without payload
- Drone usage capability (survey, media, |Entertainment, etc.)
- Means of drone control (autonomous or radio controlled)
- Is the drone equipped with a camera?
- If yes, please provide camera details
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- If the applicant manage to overcome all the above bureaucratic obstacles, there is need to be in permanent contact with air traffic control during the flights.
- It should be noted that those drones already in Uganda are allowed to be used as long as the owners have registered them with Civil Aviation authority and adhere to all permissions required to operate or fly drones in Uganda.
- UAVs are looked at as spying gadgets in Uganda and no one would love to see it flying over his house or property without permission.
- No penalties for violators-no law/regulation
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Website: www.defence.go.ug
More information which might help people.