Uganda - Apply for Older Persons Grant in
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
In this case of the Senior Citizen Grant Selection of beneficiaries need not to apply, selection is computerized and automated. It is done as follows:-
- Officials of the project go to the national civil registry (where all data on all births and deaths is collected) and get data;
- Lists of beneficiaries are generated after looking at the data got from the national civil registry.
- The generated beneficiary lists are sent to the village chairpersons for validation at the community level by the community members themselves.
- Once the names on the list are approved by the community, the lists are sent by the Programme coordinator to contracted companies that are supposed to make payments so to update their data / lists of beneficiaries. In the case of the Senior Citizen Grant, MTN Uganda is the contracted Mobile Money service provider, therefore the lists are sent to them and in response they create SIM cards for the beneficiaries.
- Each beneficiary is issued with beneficiary ID card and then registered according to the standard Mobile Money registration process.
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
Expanding Social Protection Programme (ESP)
Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development
Plot 9, Lourdel Road
P.O. Box 28240,
Tel: +256 414 534 201, +256 414 534 202, +256 312 202 051, +256 312 202 050
Email: [email protected]
Department of Community Based Services
Gulu District Local Government
Plot 4-8 Air Field Road
P.O. Box 2,
Older persons of 65 years and above.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
The senior citizen continue to receive payments until death , Beneficiaries of the Senior Citizens Grant are not suppose to receive payment transfers.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Beneficiaries are elderly persons under the following categories:
- The Physically and Mentally Incapacitated: older persons who live in isolation without any family or community support;
- The Chronically Sick: older persons who suffer from incurable diseases;
- The Homeless: older persons who live in temporary make shift shelter in the rural areas or resort to living on the streets or in shacks made out temporary materials in major urban centres;
- The Widows and Widowers: older persons who lost their person but have the obligation of heading their families;
- The Caregivers of Orphans and Other Vulnerable Children: older persons who have an obligation of taking care of children who are of primary school going?age 6?12 years;
- The Economically Active Poor: These are older persons who are economically active, but they are not gainfully employed. Most of the work they do is either voluntary or unpaid family work.
- Name and contact details of beneficiaries
- Age and sex
- Area of residence
Need for the Document
In Uganda older persons are men and women who are aged 60 years and above. Older persons make valuable contributions to society as guardians of traditions and cultural values which are passed on from generation to generation. In cognizance of the valuable contributions older persons make, the Government enhanced a potentials by establishing a framework to address their needs and rights.
The older persons grant in Uganda involves Active Ageing which is the process of optimizing opportunities for health, participation and security in order to enhance quality of life as people age and Community Based Care Services which is the delivery of care services which can be accessed by older persons from near their homes and encourage them to participate in the development process.
Current the older persons grant in Uganda is Senior Citizens Grant is being piloted in 14 districts around the country, namely-
Information which might help
- In Karamoja eligibility age is 60 years and above and this is in recognition of the fact that the extreme poverty in the region and insecurity have very much led to reduced life expectancy.
- It is important to note that in lowering the age, it is expected that the proportion of households reached by the programme will be similar across all districts.
- The data base system at the national civil registry has recently been updated in many districts in Uganda and thus there is surety that implementers target beneficiaries very accurately.
- The programme involves automatically recalculation of the vulnerability scores for all households which allows for all changes arising from births, deaths, relocations or household splits.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.