Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Apply for Oil Exploration Licence (OELs).

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Procedure to obtain an Oil Exploration Licence,

  • There are five steps you will take to get registered for an Oil Exploration License in Uganda.

Step one.
This stage involves making an application on the headed paper of your company to the minister of Energy and Mineral Development requesting for oil exploration license or lease indicating the sufficient technical knowledge and experience, and sufficient financial resources to effectively operate Oil exploration.
Step two
Take the copy of the application and person payee ID to the nearest designated bank to pay for the registration Application form. There is an option to pay online with your ATM card the registration fees.
Step Three
After, Attach all the necessary document which include company certificate of registration,profile of directors,Bank statement,Partnering organization or firm in exploration,Proof of technical experience from previous work in oil exploration, location of the Business,telephone contact,Email address or website of the business,Mission and objectives of the organization,Etc. proof of payment of registration.Take your application to the department of petroleum resource Registration department.
Step Four
Take your Filled application form to the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development department of registration for exploring oil center, alongside the original copies of your company details, particulars of referee (a valid company license, insurance certificate, proof of ownership the Business and certificate of competence) for verification. Here your Details and particulars of the organization will be uploaded into the database.
Step Five
After successful capturing of your details into the database,a temporary slip will be printed for you as a proof of your registration pending the readiness of your Application, for approval or rejection depending on the decision of the Board. When the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development is satisfied with all work done and the reports submitted by the licensee. Then he permits in writing the Department Petroleum Resource to grant a license of Oil exploration to the Applicant. After the Board decision you will receive an Email or a call or Sms notifying that your oil exploration license is ready for pickup at the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development where you registered.
Note I
The Minister of Energy and Mineral Development is responsible for making regulations on matters relating to oil prospecting licences(OPLs)and oil mining leases(OMLs),including matters relating to safe working, enquiries into accidents and the prevention of pollution of water courses and the atmosphere/ The License for oil exploration is granted by the Minister who depends on the recommendation of the Directorate of Geology survey and Mines and in accordance with guidelines, impose special terms and conditions that are to be followed in oil exploration: The minister consider the following to take a decision of issuing a license,

  • participation by the Government in the venture to which the license or lease relates, on terms to be negotiated between the Minister and the applicant for the license or lease; and
  • Exploitation of any natural gas discovered.

If the applicant is not inconsistent with the provisions of the Act on any license or lease to which the Act applies,including terms and conditions as stated in the Act then the license can be revoked.
Note II
Ownership of land does not confer title to the petroleum resources in the subsoil. The entire ownership and control of petroleum resources remains vested in the Government of Uganda. The oil exploration license does not apply to any indigenous company operating in the upstream sector whose aggregate production is less than or equal to fifty thousand barrels per day of crude oil or natural gas equivalent. Every process needed to process the license must be followed to the later. First, know that Oil exploration can only be valid based on the consent of the Minister of petroleum resources and the applicant fulfilling the following conditions:

  • Is of good reputation, a member of a group of companies of good reputation, or is owned by a company or companies of good reputation.
  • Has sufficient technical knowledge and experience, and sufficient financial resources to effectively operate under the licence or lease.
  • For renewal is made at least three months before the date of expiry of the license.

Required Documents[edit]

  • A completed Application Form
  • A copy of Certificate of Incorporation
  • A Certified true Copy of Memorandum and Articles of Association.
  • A Certified True copies of Form.
  • A bank Draft Drawn in the favour of the Government of Uganda
  • A copy of bank Draft
  • A Copy of Current Tax Clearance Certificate.
  • A VAT Certificate
  • A Company Profile
  • A comprehensive Staff List and Curriculum Vitea of the key Staff,
  • A List of equipment facility to the company.
  • DRP Endorsed Request for Expatriate Quota
  • Training Program for Ugandan Staff
  • Registration by relevant for professional body
  • A copy of technical agreement of MOU with Ugandan company/DPR Accredited laboratory.
  • Current Workmen’s compensation policy.
  • Community Affairs, Safety, health Environment and security,
  • Copy of current Medical and Retainers-hip agreement with the Hospital or clinic.
  • Copy of company ID of staff handling for the company

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Directorate of Geological Survey and Mines
Address: Plot 21-29,Johnstone Road
Address: P.O.Box 9,Entebbe, Uganda
Phone: +256 414 320656,+256 312 262902
Email: [email protected]
Website:Ministry of Energy

Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development.
Amber House,Plot 29/33,Kampala Road
P.O.B Kampala,Uganda
Telephone +256 414 344 414
Fax +256 414 234 732 +256 414 230 220
E-mail: [email protected]
Website:Ministry of Energy and Mineral development



  • All companies and other stakeholders who wish to explore for Oil and gas services in Uganda.
  • Any company qualified under terms and conditions prescribed from time to time by the relevant Institutions is free to apply for the grant or award of a license,lease or contract, as the case may be, for the exploration and production of petroleum to the Management of Petroleum Resources.


Application fees, rents and royalties are payable in relation to OELs, OPLs and OMLs.Under the Petroleum Act the application fee for an Oil Petroleum Licence is US$10,000 and the application fee for an OML is US$500,000. Other fees payable include:

  • Processing fees.
  • Fees payable on the application for renewal of an OML.
  • Fees payable on the assignment of an OPL or OML


  • There is no definitive timeline in either the Environmental Impact Assessments Act or EGASPIN in relation to the Environmental impact assessments (EIA)process. The time frame typically depends on several variables,such as the nature of the project,its location and the Department of Petroleum Resource's turnaround time.

Documents to Use[edit]


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

The process takes between 1-3 months.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.



  • Applicants must appear in person.
  • Applicant subjected to future evaluation by relevant division/ department
  • Company that fail to renew their permit for more than three years consecutive years have their Licence treated as new.

Required Information[edit]

  • A copy of bank Draft
  • A Copy of Current Tax Clearance Certificate.
  • A VAT Certificate
  • A Company Profile
  • A comprehensive Staff List and Curriculum Vitea of the key Staff,
  • A List of equipment facility to the company.
  • DRP Endorsed Request for Expatriate Quota
  • Training Program for Ugandan Staff
  • Registration by relevant for professional body
  • A copy of technical agreement of MOU with Ugandan company/Department of Petroleum Resource Accredited laboratory.
  • Current Workmen s compensation policy.


Need for the Document[edit]

Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate? 

Information which might help[edit]

  • Although there is no private ownership of the oil and gas in Uganda, the Government permits private individuals to own rights to prospect, explore and mine for oil and gas. Oil exploration licence (OEL) this is the licensee to the non-exclusive right to explore for oil and gas within the area of the grant.
  • This License confers exclusive rights of surface and subsurface exploration for the production of petroleum in an area not more than 2590 sq. km. (1000 sq.miles) in size.
  • The OPL shall be granted in inland basins for an initial period of three (3) years with the option of renewal for a maximum period of two (2) years. For the deep water blocks and frontier basins the exploration period is ten (10) years, broken into two five year periods which automatically roll over unless otherwise withdrawn due to nonperformance.
  • This control of the oil and gas industry is exercised through Government institutions such as the:
    • Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (Ministry).
    • The Directorate of Geological Survey and Mines (DGSM)
    • Uganda National Petroleum Authority (UNPA).
  • The Directorate of Geological Survey and Mines is principally responsible for processing all applications for licences and leases in the oil and gas industry.
  • Third parties are allowed to acquire participating or working interests in mineral rights through joint operating agreements (JOAs). Farm outs are also allowed for the assignment of part of mineral rights or a participating interest for the performance of obligations.
  • The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (Ministry) has primary supervisory oversight over the oil and gas industry. As such, the Ministry is responsible for the formulation, implementation and co-ordination of government policy for the industry.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]



More information which might help people.