Uganda - Apply for Non-Governmental Organization Work Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- A non-governmental organization (NGO) is a non-profit, voluntary citizens group that is organized on a local, national or international level.
- NGOs are not eligible to receive work permit service if there file is not fully compliant.
- Volunteers require a work permit. However, they are required to provide proof of how they will sustain themselves in Uganda without income.
- All positions should be advertised for in the at least one National circulation Newspaper in Uganda prior to the recruitment process.
- To apply for work permit, the applicant has to first contact the Non-Governmental Organizations Bureau Board offices for recommendation to the Directorate of Citizen and Immigration control for issuance of work permit.
- Foreigners wishing to work with NGO should address their formal application to the Executive Director of Citizenship and immigration control for work permit.
- This endorsement is done by filling in a filled Work permit Endorsement Form available at the Directorate of Citizenship and immigration control offices. This form can also be downloaded from the NGO’s Board Website and filled beforehand.
- The filled application form should be submitted with all the required documents. This include:
- A duly filled Application for Issuance/ Or Renewal Of Permit - from immigration Department
- Report on Employment from immigration Department.
- Letter of Appointment & Contract from the employer
- All relevant copies of applicants’ certificates and detailed Curriculum Vitae of the applicant
- Certified copy of the applicant’s Passport
- One (1) passport size photo(in white or grey background)
- Copy of the advertisement done in at least one National Circulation Daily Newspaper in Uganda of the required position
- Interview questions, long and short list of applicants entailing (name, age, nationality, sex, contacts and qualifications)
- Understudy must be identified to take up the position upon expiry of the work permit
- Provide a list of all employees in the organization entailing their names, nationality, job titles, email address and mobile contacts.
- Where any document is made in a language other than English a copy of the translation into English language must be attached.
- Criminal clearances certificate an equivalent of a certificate of good conduct in Uganda from the applicant’s Country of origin for first time applications and has to be certified by any registered local lawyer and criminal clearance certificate from CID Uganda for all renewals.
- Copy of previous permit for renewals of permits.
- You should then proceed to pay the processing fees and submit the receipt to the Directorate of Citizenship and immigration control offices.
- On Completion of this process, will receive feedback from the Directorate of Citizenship and immigration control within 30 days
- Covering letter addressed to the Executive Director National Bureau for NGOs;
- List of foreign and local staff working with the NGO, job title and duration of their contract ;
- Evidence of failed recruitment of Uganda succession plan or rationale for foreign employees;
- Registered constitution or memorandum and articles of association, organization chart;
- Certificate of incorporation valid permit to operate as an NGO from the NGO Bureau;
- Appointment/ invitation letter;
- Photocopy of contract/ agreement;
- Certificate of good conduct ie when is a new applicant;
- Curriculum Vitae( CV/Resume);
- Photocopy of certified copies of academic documents;
- Photocopy of passport bio data page;
- Photocopy of immigration status.
Office Locations & Contacts
Directorate of Citizenship and immigration control.
Ministry of Internal Affairs
Plot 75, Jinja rd.
P.O.Box 7191, Kampala
Passport Control office: +256-414-342561
Legal Department: +256-414-232573
Immigration Department: +256-414-231641
Fax: +256 424 434 088
Email: [email protected]
Website:ministry of internal Affairs
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: Line +256 414 250 712
Website: Uganda Registration service Bureau
Non-citizen employees in Non-Governmental Organizations are eligible to make the application.
- Class G (Expatriate Employment)(6 Months) -US$ 800 + US$ 1,000
- Class G (Expatriate Employment) (12 Months)-US$ 1500 +US$ 2,500
- Class G (Expatriate Employment) (24 Months)-US$ 1500 +US$3,500
The validity of the work endorsement is one year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes 30 days for the application to be completed.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Write a letter of request to the executive director of the board
- Fill in all application documents and submit the required documents to the NGO Board offices
- Pay applicable fees and send proof of payment together with the application.
- Wait for approval and collect the work permit after 30 days.
- Name of organization.
- Physical and Postal address of organization.
- Telephone number and E-mail address of organization.
- Name of employee
- Job title
- Residential address
- Passport ( Number , Place of issue , Date of issue , Date of expiry )
- Personal particulars of the person for whom permit is required
- Employee's qualifications
- Qualification of employee
- Application Type
- Reasons for Seeking an Expatriate
- Advertisement details of the position.
- Particulars of the Ugandan Citizen Understudy.
- List of expatriates currently working in the organization.
- List of Uganda holding key positions in the organization.
Need for the Document
- This application allows a Non-Governmental Organization which wishes to hire foreign personnel who do not yet hold a work permit, to get endorsement for a work permit for the personnel by the Non – Governmental Organisation Board.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.