Uganda - Apply for Live Animal and Animal Products Import
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Below are the procedures for Animal and Animal products import.
- An importer or any person wishing to import live animals/products into the Republic of Uganda shall apply for an Import Permit from the Commissioner Animal Health (CAH) prior to importation.
- The importer shall contact the Commissioner Animal Health and request for information on the protocol and animal health requirements of importation of live animals and/or products into Uganda.
- The importer shall submit a written application requesting to import live animals and /or products into the country to the Commissioner for Animal Health, at least 7 days prior to an importation.
- The application shall state the source (country) and supplier as well as type of animal, breed, sex and quantity.
- The Commissioner for Animal Health will conduct a search on animal disease status of the country of origin and the processes to which the product is subjected during manufacture to determine appropriate animal health requirements to be set in the Import Permit to manage the risk of transmitting disease by this importation.
- If the animal health requirements will mitigate the risk of transmitting disease, the Commissioner for Animal Health shall issue an Import Permit stating the animal health requirements and port of entry to be used for this particular importation (the Commissioner for Animal Health may not issue the Import Permit if this risk is deemed unmanageable).
- The importer shall send the Import Permit to the veterinary authority of the country of origin of the animals/products in order to prepare, inspect, test, certify and supervise loading the animals/goods on the shipment vessel of the respective consignment in compliance with the animal health requirement set by the Commissioner for Animal Health.
- The importer shall then confirm the specified date of arrival of the imported animals/products to the veterinary official at the specified port of entry to prepare all facilities concerned, at least 3 days in advance.
Import Procedures requirements.
- The animals/products must be accompanied by an official Veterinary Health Certificate, in English or with English translation, issued by the veterinary authority of the country of origin, attesting that the animals/products satisfactorily meet animal health requirements set in the Import Permit
- In case that imported animals/products are for breeding purposes, or pedigree certificate, other evidence shall be presented to the veterinary inspector of the port of entry/exit.
- The importer shall attach a copy of an Invoice which indicates the price of imported animals or Price List, Packing List, Air Waybill / Bill of Lading and etc. to the application.
- The accompanying documents of imported animals/products shall be presented for inspection to the official Veterinary inspector to check before general inspection of the imported animals/products on arrival. The veterinary inspector at the port of entry shall inspect the documents and animals/products to detect any signs of ill health or product deviation from sanitary requirements.
- For import sanitary requirement of specific animal species, details are provided in the Annex.
Post-Import Procedures at the final destination.
- The animals/products shall be moved to animal quarantine/holding facilities after general examination on arrival.
- During quarantine period of 21-30 days, samples from all imported animals shall be collected for counter check or tested for certain diseases as prescribed.
- In case the imported animals are sick or dead while travelling or in quarantine, all concerned shall be informed immediately. The Animal Quarantine Station (AQS) veterinary official shall take an emergency measures to investigate the disease and/or to contain the spread.
- In the case of products, the holding period will vary according to standard recommended tests
- The ultimate import license/release permit will be issued when all imported animals/products/ have passed the prescribed tests, to release them to their final destination, at the completion of post-import quarantine procedures.
- Specific animal species
- sanitary requirements
- an Invoice
- Price List,
- Packing List,
- Air Waybill / Seaport Bill of landing.
- Bill of Lading
- Veterinary Health Certificate,
- a vaccination certificate
- cattle traders’ license
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries. (MAAIF)
Directorate of Animal Resources/Commissioner for Animal Health
Department of Animal Health.
Plot 16-18 Lugard Avenue, Entebbe
P.O. Box 102 Entebbe, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 320 006/+256-414-322026
Email Address: email@example.com
Website:Ministry of Agriculture
Website:directorate of fisheries resources
- Foreigners and Resident of Uganda have Animal Products license are Eligible.
- Foreigner tourist must have a tourist visa.
- Criteria to determine the amount of fees to be paid to the licensing authorities vary.
A licence issued under this Act is valid for one year and expire on 31 December every year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 3 months to Six Months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- If animals or products from countries or zones free of diseases are trans shipped through seaports or airports in countries or zones, where prescribed diseases e.g. Foot and Mouth disease (FMD), African Swine fever, Avian Influenza, Contagious bovine pleura pneumonia (CBPP), Bovine Spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and Peste des petits Ruminants (PPR), is known to occur, they (according to OIE) shall be deemed as originating from infected countries or zones and shall therefore be prohibited from importation.
All Fish or transits of live animals and/or animal products from one country to another through the Republic of Uganda shall be authorized by the Commissioner for Animal Health.
- Full name of owner
- Age and sex.
- Name of BMU.
- Purpose of the application.
- Company name.
- the type, sex, number and age of the animals
- BMU recommendation.
- Photograph and copy of any identification.
- Name of Authorized Licensing Officer.
- Nationality /No./Passport No
- Mailing Address
- Telephone No.
- Business Location: Name of Building/Place
- Details of animal truck carrier.
- Type of Truck (5 or 10 tone others).
- Type of hull
- Overall Length
- Engine Type (Fuel)
- Intended Fishing Area
- Proposed fishing Methods Used
- Declaration form
- Vehicle/ Vessel inspection certificate
- Copy of annual return
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.