Uganda - Apply for In-land Water Transport Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
An application for in Land water transport Licence for the carriage of passengers or goods by ship shall submit to the Transport Licence board the following;-
- Before engaging in any water transport activities, the applicant must contact Transport Licence Board (TLB) in the Ministry works and transport to determine whether ships will be allowed in a particular sector and what documents are required.
- The applicant before receiving in-land water Transport Licence you must fulfill the following conditions of licensing by the Ministry of Works and Transport in Uganda.
- Fill out an application form, which can be obtained from their offices.
- On the application form indicate the type and number of ships/vessels to be used.
- On the form mention the particulars, type(s) and numbers of ships to be used.
- Indicate the particulars of the construction, motive power and cargo capacity of every ship/vessels.
- Fill out the total number of crew to be carried in every such ship.
- Indicate the number of passengers every such ship is intended to carry.
- On the form show the places between which the ship are intended to be navigated and the services to be provided by the ship.
- Submit the completed form together with all other required documents (see list below) to the Transport Licence Board.
- Applications should be submitted at least three weeks before scheduled Board meeting.
- The board may, with the prior approval or direction of Minister, grant the applicant an exclusive Licence authorizing that person to operate ships for carriage of goods or passengers in such area, over such routes or between such places as the board may decide
Application forms completed in detail, including a detailed navigation business plan (guidelines provided above).
- Certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation and/or a copy of the Certificate of Registration of the business trading name, together with certified copies of share certificates.
- The type(s) and Number of ships to be used, particulars of the construction, motives power and cargo capacity of every such ship, total crew number of every ship, number of passengers every such ship is intended carry, places between which the ships are intended to be navigate and the service to be provided by the ships.
- Valid tax clearance certificates, inspection reports, and public and passenger liability insurance and renewal fees are required annually.
Office Locations & Contacts
- All ships having length over twenty-four meters intended to be registered in Uganda.
The required fees UGX 106,067.
Valid for 1 year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time 2 weeks .
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- No person shall, except in accordance with the terms of a Licence, convey by means of any ship upon the inland waters of Uganda any goods or person for hire or reward; or goods in connection with trade or business carried on by him or her except as exempted.
- The Licence is necessary to ensure order and safety of the operators and users of inland water Transport
Attach all the necessary information on the application form and these include.
- Ships particulars
- Official Number
- Name of Ships (2)
- Type of Ship (3)
- IMO Number (4)
- Gross Tonnage
- Net Tonnage
- Passenger Ship Safety Certificate
- Length in meters
- Breadth in meters
- Max Draught
- Name and Address of shipyard where built
- Hull Material
- Country of Previous registration
- Name of Previous Owner
- Previous name of ship
- Number of Engines
- Number of cylinders in each set
- Diameter of Cylinders
- Length of Stroke
- BHP in Kilowatts
- Name and address of maker
- Type: Diesel/Steam
- Year Made
- Make and Model of each engine
- Estimated speed of Ship
- Copy of Certificate of Registry
Owners/bareboat charterers particulars
- Full Name
- Number of shares in ship owned
- Nationality/Place of Incorporation
- Nature of Interest e.g. Sole Ownership/Joint Ownership/ Ownership in Severalty
- Completed Crew Declaration Form
Equity of owning corporation
- Name of Corporation
- Paid-up Capital
- Legal Equity
- Foreign Equity
Owner of bareboat chartered ship
- Full Name
- Nationality/Place of Incorporation
- Date of Charter party
- Charter period
- Preferred date of termination of Uganda registration
- Full Name
- Status of applicant e.g. Director of owning corporation/Secretary of owing corporation/Individual/joint owner(s)
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- The Transport Licence Board may if they considers necessary, demand such other documents to verify the information given by the applicant as may deem fit and appropriate.
- The Transport Licence Board may grant inland water transport Licence of with such restrictions or endorsements as they may think fit.
- The Ministry of Works and Transport may de-register or suspend the registration of a bareboat chartered vessel, if on receipt of information if it is satisfied that registration of the vessel was based upon incorrect or insufficient information, or if at any time the charterer fails to satisfy the conditions laid down in these regulations and rules.
- The Rules and regulation provides that, ships must be licensed in order to convey goods and passengers by means of any ship upon the inland waters of Uganda.
- The Rule and regulation provides that any person who commits an offence against the established Act is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding two thousand shillings or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two months, or both.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.