Uganda - Apply for Fish Hatchery Establishment or Operational Licence (Permit)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Apply for Fish Hatchery establishment permit through the Chief fisheries officer. You can choose to register the fish hatchery as a limited liability company (LLC) or other type of corporation, a sole proprietorship or a partnership.
- Once you have all your legal papers in place, Visit the directorate of fisheries at the Ministry of Agriculture animal industry and fisheries to start the Licence process.
- Pick an application form as prescribed by the chief fisheries officer for a Licence, fill the form and submit the completed application form to ministry of Agriculture animal industry and fisheries department of fisheries where a fish hatchery permit/license is issued.
- Application for a fish hatchery permit/Licence must be made in the name of a person or a corporation and submitted on a standard form. The application form must be submitted together with other required documents and the proposed layout plans of the fish hatchery establishment /operation services.
- For premises in private buildings, applicants are also required to attach rent and tenancy agreement from the Land lord especially for the new business.
- Once you have completed to fill the application form. Pay the fish hatchery permit/ Licence fees depending on the location area grading before Submitting your application to the Ministry of Agriculture animal industry and fisheries for Verification.
- Once the application is received, authorities will verify the details and provide applicant with receipt. Keep it safe for future transaction. Authorities will inform about the successive steps.
- The Ministry of Health Department and Health control division shall conducts inspections to monitor the safety of the fish hatchery premises before a Licence is issued to make sure that fish hatchery establishment affirms to the Health safety standards of Uganda. This is required for any fish hatchery that prepares fish stock and have a valid fish health certification report to indicate that the fish are free of diseases.
- After all the formalities are successful, applicant will be informed to collect the Fish hatchery establishment permit/ Licence. Collect the Licence/permit from the Ministry of Agriculture Animal industry and fisheries department of fisheries depending on the Location of your business.
- Licensees will receive a renewal notice prior to the expiration date noted on the permit /license. If you do not receive a renewal notice 2-weeks prior to expiration, please contact the relevant authority.
Note: Prior to stocking fish into the waters or selling fish for stocking, the licensee must have a valid fish health certification report to indicate that the fish are free of diseases.
- Certificate of incorporation in case of a body corporate.
- Fish seed production facility (whether pond, hatcheries or other specify).
- Hatchery plan.
- Name of the establishment.
- Size of establishments (number of ponds, hatcheries, etc).
- Types of species.
- The client must be of at least 18 yrs. of age and if a minor, should be in partnership with a person above 18 years of age.
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) from Uganda Revenue Authority (URA).
- Business Registration Number (BRN) from Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB)
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries.(MAAIF)
Directorate of Fisheries
Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries Resources
Lugard Avenue Entebbe
P.O. Box 102 Entebbe, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 320 006
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website:Ministry of Agriculture
All private and public fish hatchery owners are eligible for this permit.
- Application Fees: 10,000 Ugshs
- License Fee: 100,000 Ugshs
- Renewal Fees: 100,000 Ugshs
Validity: 1 Year
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Maximum Processing Time: 2 Weeks
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- No person who does fish hatching shall operate a fish hatchery unless that hatchery has been registered under the regulation.
- No operator shall use a registration number other than the number assigned to that Fish hatchery.
- Every permit /Licence shall remain in force until revoked, suspended, or surrendered.
- Names, Physical and Postal Address of Applicant
- Legal Status of the Applicant
- List and Particulars of Shareholders;
- Certificate of Registration,
- Certificate of Incorporation,
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Deed of Partnership,
- Deed of Trust, as applicable
- Information if the shareholder has ever been convicted of a criminal offence in Uganda or in any other country.
- List and Particulars of Directors.
- information if you have ever acquired a Licence and state the nature of the Licence, date issued and the Licence number
Need for the Document
- Hatchery Permits are required for the construction and/or operation of a private non-profit hatchery in Uganda.
Information which might help
- Fish Hatchery permits are non-transferable, so if a hatchery is sold or leased, the new operator must apply for a new permit.
- Issuance of a Hatchery Permit requires an extensive review of the proposed hatchery, including the suitability of the proposed site, the hatchery design, the effects on fisheries, and the potential effects on wild stocks, as well as a public hearing.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
The Chief fisheries officer shall not issue a fish hatchery permit in respect of a fish hatchery unless he is satisfied that
- the fish hatchery is operated in a building separate and apart from other business operations,
- the fish hatchery can be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition,
- the fish hatchery can provide adequate space and, where required, separate rooms for receiving and fish eggs, incubation, hatching, equipment cleaning, dry storage, fish sorting, sexing and packing,
- the fish hatchery has adequate ventilation and lighting,
- the incubators deliver the standard of heat, humidity and air circulation recommended by the manufacturer, and
- the fish hatchery has a satisfactory means of controlling flies, rodents and other vermin.
- Each registered fish hatchery shall be
- Identified by a name and address, and colour.