Uganda - Apply for Electrician or Wire man License or Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To apply for a electrician or wireman license or permit the applicant has to contact the Electricity Regulatory Authority office in Uganda.
- Please make sure you have all the appropriate documents that are listed down under the Required Documents section of this page.
- The applicant has to submit a filled in application form that can be obtained from the Electricity Regulatory Authority office or can be downloaded from the website http://www.era.or.ug/.
- Pay the appropriate application fee during the submission of the application.
- If your application is successful, you will be request to pay the appropriate license or permit fees.
Following document has more information and guidelines which can help : Document explaining Guidelines
- Detailed CV OR career report for classes A, B and Z.
- Annual returns dating 3 years back from the date of applying and evidence of tax clearance for registered companies.
Any one of the following certificate or degree
- A Craftsmans Certificate or Intermediate Certificate.
- A Higher Technicians Diploma.
- A Master Craftsmans Certificate.
- A University Degree in the relevant field of study.
- An Ordinary Technicians Diploma.
- Any other technical qualification recognized by the Committee.
Office Locations & Contacts
The Electricity Regulatory Authority offices are located in ERA House Plot 15 Shimon Road, Nakasero
Phone: +256 41 341852/646, +256 312 260166
Postal Address: P.O. Box 10332 Kampala, Uganda
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Operating Hours: Moday to Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (excluding weekends and public holidays)
Within the Electrical Engineering field, persons engaging in electrical installations will for the purpose of these guidelines, be categorized as follows:
Qualification: -------------------------------- : Eligible Permit Class:
University Graduates in the relevant field ---- : Class A
Higher Technician's Diploma ------------------- : Class A
Ordinary Technician's Diploma ----------------- : Class B
Master Craftsman's Certificate ---------------- : Class C
Craftsman's Certificate Grade One ------------- : Class D
All applicants for the electrician permit will be subject to an application fee of 20,000 Ugx.
The following fees apply to each of the Permit Classes:
Class A 140,000 Ugx
Class B 105,000 Ugx
Class C 70,000 Ugx
Class D 35,000 Ugx
Class Z 100,000 Ugx
And for registered companies 695,000 Ugx
The permit is valid for 1 year.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time is 6 months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The purpose of an electrician/wireman license is for regulatory purposes.
Applicants have to fill and sign application forms obtained from the Permits Office at ERA House, or downloaded from the ERA website (www.era.or.ug ). Prior to submission, candidates have to attach copies of ALL academic documents like O- and A-level certificates, diploma certificates, and any other academic qualification possessed.
(a)Applicants whose Diplomas, certificates, and other qualifications where not obtained from Uganda, they must have them equated to the Uganda based ones, by UNEB before submission of the application.
(b) Applicants whose Degrees and other higher qualifications were not obtained from Uganda, must obtain the equivalency from The Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers (UIPE). Written evidence of the equivalency must be submitted together with the applications.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
This procedure provides you information related to obtaining a Electrician or Wireman license in Uganda.
Following listed are various categories of electrician or wireman license.
Class A :
- Installation of any plants up to and including high voltage of 132 kV.
- Any work under Class B.
Class B :
- Heavy low voltage and simple high voltage connections up to 33 kV.
- Any work under Class C.
Class C :
- Installation in multi - storied flats, commercial buildings, bungalows and mansions of complex design.
- Installation of light plants up to a level of 415 V
- Any work under Class D.
Class D :
- Installation of any residential premises of 1 - 5 bedrooms.
- Repairs on equipment of up to 240 V.
Class Z :
- Electrical installation systems designs.
- Installation in specialised fields like switchgear; centralised heating;? refrigeration; generator sets; solar systems; et cetera.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.