Uganda - Apply for Dual citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
In Uganda, dual citizenship means the simultaneous possession of two citizenships of which one is Uganda.
HOW TO APPLY
- A citizen of Uganda who desires to acquire the citizenship of another country while retaining his/her citizenship of Uganda shall give notice in writing to the National Citizenship and Immigration Board of his or her application for the citizenship of another country
- The notice above shall be in the prescribed form and shall be accompanied by:
- A statutory declaration stating that he or she is a citizen of Uganda only
- Where the person is a citizen of Uganda and of another country, a declaration of renunciation of the Citizenship of the third country showing evidence that the applicant is of or above eighteen years of age.
- A copy of the application for citizenship of that other country.
- Required documents and the application fees
Non-citizen of Uganda
- Visit the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Directorate of Immigration office and request for the application form for your petition and the Oath of Allegiance to Uganda formfor dual Citizenshipof Allegiance
- Fill in the dual citizenship application form and have it commissioned or Notarized by a High Court Judge or Notary Public.
- Pay the recommended application fees and attach all the required documents and submit them to the attending officer
- Whom will verify and process your documents if all the documents information are in order you will issued your dual citizen documents with the issuing authority
- Covering letter addressed to the secretary of the National citizenship and Immigration Board Letter of good conduct from the home country or Interpol.
- Proof that the applicant has been granted citizenship by registration (only applicable to foreigners who have been granted Ugandan Citizenship by Registration).
- Evidence that that other country other than Uganda allows dual citizenship (e.g. letter from immigration authority or High Commission or consulate of that other country or copy of the provisions of laws permitting dual citizenship of that other country).
- Two (2) recent Passport size photos of applicant.
- Evidence that the applicant or his/her parents or grandparents have ever resided in Uganda for at least ten years.
- Medical report of sanity of the applicant.
- Proof that the applicant is above 18 years of age e.g. birth certificate.
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate knowledge of English, Swahili or
- Evidence that the applicant was formerly a Ugandan (only applicable to Ugandans in the Diaspora)
- Any of the prescribed vernacular languages.
NON UGANDA APPLICANTS
- A cover letter from applicant addressed to the Secretary, National Citizenship and Immigration Board;
- A letter from the sponsor/recommender who should be a citizen of Uganda by birth. (A sponsor in this case must be an administrative officer, advocate, Bank officer, chairperson of district, Township authority, Justice of Peace, Magistrate, Mayor; Member of Parliament,Member of Municipal Council, Minister of Religion, Notary Public, Physician or Surgeon); A letter of good conduct from the home country or Interpol-Uganda;
- Proof that the Applicant has been granted Citizenship by Registration (only applicable to foreigners who have been granted Uganda Citizenship by Registration).
- Evidence that the other country other than Uganda allows Dual Citizenship. (e.g. letter from the Immigration Authority or High Commission or Consulate of that other country or copy of the provisions of laws permitting Dual Citizenship of that other country).
- 3 recent colored passport photos of the applicant with a white background;
- Evidence that the applicant or his or her parents or grandparents have ever resided in Uganda for at least ten years(copies of work permits/certificate of residence/dependent’s pass);
- Medical report of sanity of the applicant from a certified doctor;
- Proof that the applicant is above 18 years of age e.g. birth certificate of the applicant/current passport; Evidence that the applicant has not been declared bankrupt.
- Personal URA Tax payments-PAYE.
- Oath of Allegiance to Uganda. LC 1 letter of recommendation
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Internal Affairs
Plot 75 Jinja Road
P. O. Box 7165 / 7191
Telephone contact: + 256 414 595 945
Fax: +256 414 348 707
National Citizenship and Immigration Board,
Ministry of Internal Affairs,
Plot 75 Jinja Road,
P. O. Box 7191, Kampala, Uganda
E-mail: [email protected]
- Any person holding Uganda citizenship and seeks citizenship of another country that allows dual citizenship and also fulfils the requirements for dual nationality
- Any person who holds a citizenship of a country that permits dual nationality and also seeks Uganda citizenship and satisfies the requirements for grant of dual citizenship.
- Dual citizenship foreigners US $500
- Dual citizenship Ugandan in Diaspora US $400
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Requirements for the applicant
- The Applicant must prove that all submitted documents are genuine and does not intended to engage in any fraud, deceit or bribery;
- has never served in armed forces or security forces of a country hostile to or at war with Uganda;
- he or she is not engaged in any spying work against Uganda;
- he or she should prove that he / she is above eighteen (18) years at the time of application of age;
- he/ she does not hold more than one citizenship;
- the laws of his or her country of origin allows him or her to hold dual citizenship;
- he /she is not subjected to deportation order from Uganda territory or any other country;
- he / she is not sentenced of death or imprisonment exceeding nine (9) months imposed by a competent court;
- he or she has been residing in Uganda for not less than ten (10) years;
- he or she has adequate knowledge of the national language (English) or any prescribed vernacular language in Uganda;
- he or she is not a refugee or diplomat in Uganda;
- he or she possesses rare skills and capacity for technology that he /she wishes to transfer to Uganda;
- must be ready to take the oath of allegiance; and
- must be a person of sound mind.
- Full name of applicant
- Sex, Age and marital status
Need for the Document
Dual citizenship in Uganda refers to the simultaneous possession of two citizenships of which one is Uganda.
- The Ugandan law provides an opportunity for former Ugandan citizens who have naturalized in another country, to re-gain Ugandan citizenship if it is proved that the grounds for the loss of his or her Ugandan citizenship are of no adverse effect to the public order and security of the country.
- And also allows foreign nationals who wish to retain their citizenship in a foreign county, the option to acquire Ugandan citizenship.
- Dual Citizenship is issued by the Department of Immigration in Ugandan
Information which might help
Dual Citizenship can be acquired on basis of:-
- Investment or foreigners: where an individual holds an investment license under class B-E, or proof to be a resident in Uganda for not less than 10 years. In addition to other requirements.
- Marriage: where one is married to a Ugandan citizen for at least 3 years.
- Ugandans in the Diaspora: for instance if in exile
Dual citizenship may be terminated upon realization of provision of false information or if a person acquires third citizenship.
- In this case a person is regarded as a citizen or national of the country, of which he or she was a citizen or national before becoming a Ugandan citizen.
- When one loses citizenship of Uganda, he or ceases to enjoy the rights of a Ugandan citizen apart from rights to property if obtained legally when he / she was still a citizen.
- The person is also discharged from any obligation and duty committed to before he or she lost Uganda citizenship.
- Former citizens by birth may apply re-acquire his or her former Ugandan citizenship and if accepted, a person is subjected to oath of allegiance.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Dual citizenship attracts investors hence bring development to the country;
- It further allows citizens outside the country to contribute to social and economic development enormous;
- Ugandans living out of the country are able to contact and maintain linkages with their roots without any legal hindrances
- Possession of a third citizenship disqualifies one from holding or being a dual national of Uganda therefore must renounce the third citizenship in order to qualify for dual citizenship in Uganda.
- A citizen with dual citizenship are issued with a Ugandan travel documents thus permitted to remain in Uganda unlimitedly if they enter on a Ugandan travel documents and Leave the country on the same documents
- It is an offence for a dual citizen uses the Ugandan passport interchangeably with the passport of another country to deceive an Immigration Officer.
- A citizen with dual citizenship is subjected to the laws of Uganda while in the country.
- It is important to note that a citizen with dual citizenship cannot be appointed in the following offices in Uganda: - President, Vice President, Prime Minister, Cabinet Minister or any other Ministers, Inspector General and the Deputy Inspector General of Government,Technical Head of the armed forces, Technical heads of Branches of the armed forces, Commanding Officers of armed forces units of at least battalion strength, Officers responsible for heading departments responsible for records, personnel and logistics in all branches of the armed forces, Inspector General of Police and Deputy Inspector General of Police, Heads and Deputy Heads of National Security and
- Intelligence Organizations, (ESO, ISO & CMI) and Member of the National Citizenship and Immigration Board.
- Applications for dual citizenship can be cancelled or rejected if an applicant gives false information.