Uganda - Apply for Customs Agent License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- An application for Customs Agent's License is made and forwarded to the Licensing officer.
- Each application is recorded and assigned a reference number.
- The application is vetted to ensure all the required supporting documents have been submitted.
- Applicants are invited for interview by the Licensing Committee.
- Successful applicants recommended for licensing are notified.
- The successful applicants are asked to pay the required License fee.
- The application is then approved by the Commissioner.
- Customs Agent's License is issued.
NB: Unsuccessful applicants can make an appeal. A hearing is conducted, after which licensing is either recommended or declined.
- Application for renewal of the license is made on the prescribed License renewal form and submitted to customs.
- The Licensing Officer shall check for compliance with the conditions for renewal and confirm that the company has no outstanding transactions or pending queries.
- If the applicant has no pending queries or outstanding transactions, a recommendation is made Commissioner's office for renewal of the license.
- License is renewed.
NB. No License shall be renewed if the applicant has any pending queries or outstanding transactions.
- Copy of company's registration certificate
- Copies of company's memo and articles of association
- Copies of IDs, passports of the directors
- Recent passport photographs of all the directors duly certified by a notary or commissioner of oaths
- Evidence of membership in a recognized clearing and forwarding association
- Letter from bankers confirming they maintain an account with them
- Copy of PIN certificate for company and each for the directors
- Copy of VAT registration certificate for the company
- Current tax compliance certificate/registration of returns
- Certificates of goods conduct for the company directors
- Lease/title deed of the office of the clearing agent
- Application fee
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Revenue Authority
Plot M193/M194, Nakawa Industrial Area
P.0. Box 7279 Kampala, GPO Kampala, Uganda
Nakawa-Jinja Road Nakawa - Jinja Rd, Kampala Uganda.
Tel: + (256) 41-7440000, 041-7442042, 041-74402149.
Toll Free: 0800117000
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Website:Uganda revenue authority
Operating Hours: 8.00 am-1.00 pm / 2.00 pm to 5.00pm
- The Commissioner can only license people/companies who are registered, knowledgeable about Customs clearance and have an office with equipment like computers.
- Licenses will not be issued or renewed if the licensee or applicant has a criminal record, is involved in dishonest activities or any other wrong doing.
Application Fee: (ugshs.40,000)$10
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Maximum Processing Time: 1 months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Have an established office, the physical location of which shall be indicated in the license application form for customs verification purposes
- Indicate the bankers on the application;
- Memorandum and articles of association of the company
- Certificate of registration of the company
- Tax Identification Numbers of the company and the directors
- Copies of identity cards, passports or other forms of identification of the directors and staff proposed to directly handle or sign customs documents and
- Recent passport size photographs of directors and staff duly certified by a Notary Public or a Commissioner for Oaths.
- Agency: Uganda Revenue Authority
- Contact Office: Licensing Office:
- Name of applicant
- Registered Address
- Plot No
- Telephone No.
- Type of your business (Sole proprietorship/ Partnership/ Limited Company)
- Names, Occupations, Nationalities of Directors/Partners, percentage of shares held State any other businesses currently being run by your partnership/company (State registered name, and address)
- New application or Renewal
- If renewal, state when first licensed as a Customs Agent
- Previous License Number and where issued
- Previous experience in the clearance of goods through Customs
- Name(s) of previous persons/employee(s)
- Names of Bankers
- Authorized Capital of the Company
- Paid up Capital
- Names and the ranks of employees and their citizenship.
Need for the Document
- Customs agents are persons or companies licensed by the Commissioner of Customs to Act on behalf of the importers and exporters. In some Partner states, it is compulsory to use a Customs agent when clearing goods through Customs.
- Customs agents must be licensed by the Commissioner before they can be involved in the clearance of goods through Customs.
Information which might help
Authority to Pay
- Successful applicants recommended for licensing are contacted and asked to pay.
- The Licensing officer shall contact the applicants to inform them they should collect their letters authorizing payment.
- The applicants shall comply with the conditions of the letter and present them to the Licensing Officer.
- The Licensing Officer shall check for compliance with any other conditions for renewal and confirm that the company has no outstanding transactions or pending queries.
- If the applicant has no pending queries, the Licensing Officer shall make a recommendation to the Commissioner's office for renewal of the license.
- If the applicant has a pending query, shall be asked to settle the query before the application is recommended for renewal.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Purpose: To act as agents for transacting business relating to declarations of goods
More information which might help people.