Uganda - Apply for Country Taxicab Operator License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Purpose is to regulate the use of country taxi cabs.
- License or Permit for Country Taxicab can be obtained from the Ministry of Works and Transport under the department of Transport Licensing Board.
- An application shall be made in writing in such form as the board may direct.
- Fill up the appropriate application form as described by the Transport Licensing Board.
- Visit Uganda Revenue Revenue Authority to pick the payment slips then fill in your income tax and motor vehicle operator’s Licence details.
- Effect payments to the bank and receive an acknowledgement
- URA system will issue payment confirmation/notification to the applicant for payment.
- Bring the vehicle and evidence of payment to the transport Licensing Board department at the Ministry of works and Transport.
- You can contact the URA Staff at Transport Licensing Board for process a tin number if you don’t have one at this stage. They can generate payment payslip for income tax and country taxicab operator’s Licence.
- You can also verify the payment on URA portal in order to be issued with Tax clearance for Advance income tax.
- Submit the dully filled required form and attached with pay slip to the Transport Licensing officer to verify the validity of the documents, these include Motor vehicle logbooks, tax clearance etc.
- Once the documents are verified by the Transport Licensing Board inspector of vehicles for Road worthiness then the applicant proceeds to the next step.If the inspection is not satisfied the Transport Licensing officer issues a defect sheet and request the applicant to rectify defects at a garage.
- Once all the required criteria are fulfilled the Transport Licensing officer may grant to the applicant of a country Taxicab operator’s Licence of the applied for to provide such service as may be specified in the Licence.
- The Transport Licensing officer shall not offer, grant or renew a country taxicab operator’s Licence to any person who—
- has been convicted of an offence involving fraud or dishonesty within two years before the date of his or her application;
- is in breach of a condition of any previously held operator’s Licence;
- has had a public service operator’s Licence of any type held by him or her cancelled under the Act or any other enactment, and shall have due regard to the reliability, character and financial stability of that person, the condition of his or her motor vehicles and the facilities at his or her disposal for the general maintenance of service on the route or routes or combination of routes.
- Certificate of Insurance (Third Party).
- Vehicle registration books.
- Certificate of fitness
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Works and Transport
Transport Licensing Board,
Head Office Address
Off Jinja Road/ Old Port Bell Rd,
P.O. Box 7174,Kampala, Uganda.
Tel phone: +256 414-320135/0414-321364
All person with Country taxicab and wishes to run a service for the carriage of passengers for charge over such fixed route or routes in Uganda is eligible for this Licence.
- Licence fees 200,000 Ugshs.
- Renewal Fee: 200,000 Ugshs.
- Validity: 1 Year
A licence granted under sections 75, 81, 84 or 87 shall remain in force for the period stated on the licence or until it is revoked by the board or until it is surrendered by the holder of the licence.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Maximum Processing Time: 2 Hours.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- A Licence granted under the Act shall not be transferred or assigned except with prior consent in writing of the board.
- Names, Physical and Postal Address of Applicant
- Legal Status of the Applicant
- Certificate of Registration,
- Certificate of Incorporation,
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Information if the Applicant has ever been convicted of a criminal offence in Uganda or in any other country.
- information if you have ever acquired a Licence and state the nature of the Licence, date issued and the Licence number
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
It is imperative for applicant for the grant of country Taxicab operator’s Licence, to put the following into consideration before applying for the Licence
- the needs of the public;
- the desirability of providing services which are both efficient and economic;
- the coordination, so far as possible, of all forms of passenger transport both in any particular area and in the whole of Uganda;
- the interests of any person holding country Taxicab operator’s licenses over any route or routes or part of routes, and of any persons who are providing transport facilities along or near the route or routes or combination of routes concerned;
- any representation or objection relating to the grant of the license lodged with the board under this Act or the regulations;
- the agreed transport policy of neighbouring countries.
- A Country Taxcab operator’s Licence shall be for the duration of a licensing year and may be granted subject to such terms and conditions as the board may think fit to impose.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
The board may not grant or renew an operator’s licence to any applicant who:-
- has been convicted of an offence involving fraud or dishonesty within two years before the date of his or her application.
- is in breach of a condition of his or her operator’s licence.
- has had a vehicle operator’s licence of any type held by him or her cancelled under the Act or any other enactment.
- The board shall, if satisfied as to the particulars shown in the application and if satisfied that all requirements of the Act and the regulations have been complied with, renew the Licence of the applicant for the next licensing year.
- Not less than one month before the end of a licensing year, every holder of a vehicle operator’s Licence, other than the holder of a public omnibus or country taxicab operator’s Licence, who intends to renew his or her Licence shall apply to the board in the prescribed manner accompanied by the prescribed fee and any other forms or documents that may be prescribed.
- In renewing a Licence under the section, the board may make such amendments to the Licence and impose such new terms and conditions as it considers fit.