Uganda - Apply for Conversion of Leasehold Land Title to Freehold Land Title
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The Applicant must have in his/her possession fully completed Forms 4, 5, 10, 19 & 23 induplicate, a set of 3 authentic deed plans, Duplicate Certificate of Title, 3 Passport Photographs, Receipts of Payment and a forwarding letter requesting for a conversion from Leasehold to Freehold title signed by the District Land Officer of the respective District where the land is located.
- The Applicant presents the full set of original documents and a photocopy of the same, to Department of Land Administration for Checking. The Photocopy is stamped 'Received' and returned to the Applicant. The Applicant checks with the Department of Land Administration after 10 working days to confirm their approval or rejection, and is given a letter advising him/her on the fees to be paid. Apply for Conversation of Leasehold Land Title to Freehold Land Title.
- Once approved, the documents are forwarded to Office of Titles for issuance of a Freehold Title. The Applicant checks after 10 working days if there is a Surrender Deed/Agreement to be processed.
- The Applicant presents the photocopy given to him/her by the Department of Land. Administration stamped 'Received' and identification documents on collecting the Freehold Title after 20 working days. The applicant signs and the Photocopy is stamped 'Returned' on completion.
- Forms 4, 5, 10, 19 & 23 in-duplicate,
- A set of 3 authentic deed plans,
- Duplicate Certificate of Title,
- 3 Passport Photographs,
- Receipts of Payment
- A forwarding letter.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Lands, Housing & Urban,
Century Building – Parliament
Avenue. P.O.Box 7096 Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 373511./ 0414 230891
Fax No.: 0414 230891
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. email@example.com;
Tel: +256 204660000, +256 414581294
- District Land Offices (DLOs)
- District Land Offices (DLOs)
- Office of the Recorder (OR)
- Area Land Committees (ALCs)
- Ministry Zonal Offices (MZOs)in all Districts of Uganda
- District Land Boards (DLBs)In All Districts in Uganda
- Anyone who owns leasehold land title can apply for a freehold land title conversion.
Fees paid at the Ministry:
- Stamp duty-UGX 5,000/=
- Registration fees for the Surrender Deed UGX 10,000/=
- Registration fees UGX 10,000
- Assurance of Title UGX 20,000
- Issuance of the Title UGX20,000
- A land title has no validity period as long as it is issued by the authorized body and transfer of title to another person is not made.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Processing time may be ten (10days) to four (4) weeks, however when the new digitized process of the lands office is completed, conversion of a land title will be taking minutes instead of weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Visit the ministry of lands to acquire necessary application forms and accurately fill them;
- Make copies of all the necessary documents.
- Make all payments and
- Submit application to the land office
- Full name and address of applicant.
- Details of the Land in question i.e. location, plot and block numbers.
- Details of original owner.
- Details of the leasehold certificate.
Need for the Document
- Contributes to family's security because one is sure that they cannot be evicted;
- Avoids land disputes; and
- Can be used to obtain loan facilities from banks
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.