Uganda - Apply for Certificate of Insurance against Third Party Risks
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The applicant should contact any motor third insurance broker to assess your motor insurance third party cover needs before they can refer you to the appropriate insurance provider
- Complete the proposal form
- Provide the necessary supporting documents
- Conduct a valuation of the vehicle
- Carefully read and understand the policy document
- Sign the policy document
- The insurance Act provides that a certificate of insurance shall be issued by the insurer to the person by whom a policy of insurance is effected at the same time as the cover note is issued
- Motor vehicle Logbook
- Proof of identity such as passport, national identity card.
Office Locations & Contacts
Insurance regulatory Authority of Uganda.
P.O Box: Kampala 22855
Legacy Towers, Block B, 2nd Floor.
Street: Plot 5, Kyadondo Road, Nakasero.
Phone 1: +256 417-425500
Website :Insurance regulatory Authority of Uganda
Uganda Revenue Authority Head Office
Plot M193/M194, Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279,
Contact Number: (256) 41-7440000
Website:Uganda revenue authority
Every motor vehicle operated on Ugandan roads must be insured against third Party Risks.
Varies greatly depending on the type of cover and the class in which the vehicle belongs.
- Own damage: 10 percent calim, minimum shs 100,000
- Theft and total loss: 15 percent claim minimum 100,000 recommended rates 10percent
- Motor (private)
- Saloon, satiation wagon and pick-ups (private use only)
- Excess: own damage 10 percent claim, minimum Shs 100,000
- Theft and total loss: 15 percent of claim, minimum 100,000. Recommended rate 4percent.
- Buses (minibus/taxi, coaster $buses).
- PSV recommended rate 7.5 percent
- PMO/ corporate & school buses recommended rate 6 percent
- Special type; Ambulances, hearses, bullion vans, firefighting trucks , farm vehicles, motor recovery vehicles.
- Excess: own damages 10 percent of claim minimum Shs 200,000.
- Theft and total loss: 15 percent of claim minimum Shs 200,000 recommended rate 4 percent.
- One year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Less than one (1) hour.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- The requirement for third party insurance does not apply to Government owned vehicles.
- Any person who contravenes subsection 2(1) commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand shillings or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding two years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
- Further provides that a person convicted shall, unless the court for special reasons thinks fit to order otherwise, and without prejudice to the power of the court to order a longer period of disqualification, be disqualified from holding or obtaining a driving permit for twelve months from the date of conviction, in addition to the penalties that may be imposed under subsection.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of Vehicle ownership
Need for the Document
- The law requires all motor vehicles to be insured in Uganda, and the insurance is supposed to cover against financial loss, theft damages and third party liabilities.
- This is captured under insurance Act. Getting an insurance cover that meets your specific requirement can be a difficult task.
Information which might help
You should visit a number of as many insurance cover providers as possible to compare service before settling on any of them.You might also check their history
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.