Uganda - Apply for Asylum Visa
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
There are two routes for applying for asylum in Uganda.
- In a Refugee Camp
- Go to the camp authorities this is the settlement commandant;
- The settlement commandant will grant you leave to remain in the camp;
- The refugee Eligibility Commission then determines your eligibility status to have asylum.
- In Kampala
- Upon arrival to the country, go to the Crime Intelligence office at Old Kampla Police Station for registration;
- A card and date for further registration are given;
- On the scheduled date, carry all documents that will make your identity and profile clearer for example Passport, Identification Cards or academic certificates and report to the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) with all your dependants for an interview;
- After the interview, one is registered a temporary Asylum Seeker attestation is issued;
- Then the applicant goes back to the Crime Intelligence office for second interview to determine his / her refugee status, which is done by the Refugee Eligibility Committee (REC);
- The decision is then communicated to the applicant by the Office of the Prime Ministers Department for Refugees.
Office Locations & Contacts
The UNHCR Representative in Uganda
Plot 18, Prince Charles Drive Kololo
The Office of the Prime Minister
Refugee Law Project
The Crime Intelligence Office
Old Kampala Police Station
People who are fleeing insecurity in their original countries due to their:
- Political activities
- personal opinion
- Their features
- Association of social group.
The process is entirely free of charge.
A temporary Asylum Seeker Attestation is valid for 3 months
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes about a week or more to go through the whole process.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Asylum seekers must prove that they have a well-founded fear of future persecution for instance based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, and/or political opinion.;
- The persecution must either be carried out by the government or a group the government cannot control.
- A person who is granted political asylum may remain in the Uganda indefinitely and may apply for permanent residence after one year;
- Dependants above eighteen (18) years apply independently;
- Conform to all laws and regulations of the country;
- Conform to all measures taken for the maintenance of public order;
- Should not engage in activities which may endanger state security, harm public interest or disrupt public order;
- Should into engage in any political activities;
- Should not undertake any activities against another country;
- If engaged in gainful employment, one is obliged to pay taxes accordingly.
- Full name;
- Date of birth;
- No. of dependants;
- Details of the form of insecurity in the applicants original country
Need for the Document
Asylum visa, issued to people who have suffered or reasonably fear persecution in their own country due to their political activities or opinion, or features, or association with a social group.
Asylum seekers or emigrants who have escaped a war or repression and have unlawfully crossed into another state. If they are recognized as "legitimate" asylees by the destination state, they will then gain status and receive Asylum Visa.
However, there may be numerous potential asylums in a destination state who are unwilling to apply or have been denied asylum status, and hence are categorized as "illegal immigrants" and may be subject to punishment or deportation.
Information which might help
Refugees whose status has not yet been verified and those whose application ids pending at any stage and are recognized and are granted a complementary form of protection; and this applies to those who have returned home six months back.Asylum seeks arriving in the border regions have a right to access existing public services and facilities.
Government always allocates land to refugee settlements Opportunities for refugees to transit to legal residency status is restricted in Uganda. Member of household below eighteen (18) are registered with / under some one above, and anyone above eighteen (18) must register on their own.If one is unhappy with the decision of the Refugee Eligibility Committee, he / she must appeal within 30 days of receipt of the decision.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- It ensures security as all refugees are registered;
- The government deploys civil servants, health workers and teachers to refugee settlements hence providing a conducive environment for
- It enlarges the job market in the country as these refugees require services.
More information which might help people.