Uganda - Apply For Free Zone Developer’s Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- An applicant for a developer’s licence shall submit a written application to establish a free zone.
- The application shall contain the following information.
- The name of the developer of the free zone.
- The name of free zone
- The location of the free zone
- The address of the main office of the applicant
- The activities that are to be performed in the free zone
- The period for which a free zone will operate.
- The free zone construction terms with an excerpt of the spatial or urban planning documentation.
- The size of the free zone.
- The Authorization and operation methods of the free zone.
- The applicant should then visit the Uganda Free Zone Authority to pick application Form (1) for Developer’s Licence
- Fill in the application form as prescribed by the Authority. Please give full particulars of the applicant or company applying for the licence.
- The company to act as Developer should be incorporated in Uganda for the sole purpose of developing and operating a free zone.
- On the application form give Full particulars of all the directors such as copy of passport, or national identification and residential address for directors of applicant. The names and contact details of the shareholders, the total number and value of shares and percentage of shareholding among the applicants.
- Present all the necessary documents; such as the land size, capital requirements and expected project expenditure and location of the area applied for.
- Applicant Must provide the following in support of the application:-
- Financing detailing the sources of capital for the project.
- The nature of financing e.g. equity and loan/or loan financing by source and amount.
- Indicate whether paid up capital is local or foreign (name country source)
- A letter from a bank or financial institution attesting to the project sponsors ability to undertake the zone development should be attached.
- Provide information on the concept of the proposed Free Zone i.e. the types of activities to be performed in the free zone including physical planning such as industrial buildings, serviced plots, provision of zone security, garbage collection, telephone services, secretarial services, container handling, and firefighting facilities, landscaping, and street lighting e.t.c.
- The applicant after providing information on the concept proposal should attach a master plan to the application form before submission. The applicant should also
- Indicate the status of land ownership and attach proof of ownership.
- List any other Free Zones licences held by the developer and attach evidence of such ownership, past or current.
- Also indicate your intended method of promoting the zone. These may include; printing and distribution of promotional materials, participation in trade exhibitions, investment workshops, seminars e.t.c.
- Upon receipt of an application, the Authority shall review the application to ensure that all the relevant documents are available to enable the processing of the application.
- Where, upon review of an application under sub-regulation (1), the Authority finds that the application is incomplete, the Authority shall request the applicant to provide additional information or clarify the information provided.
- The Authority shall, within three months after receipt of an application or additional information, investigate and prepare a detailed report in respect of the application to enable the processing of the application.
- After considering the application and the report, the Authority may grant the applicant a licence or refuse to grant a licence.
- The decision to grant a licence or not shall be made within 15 days after the report is made.
- Where the Authority refuses to grant a licence, the notification under sub-regulation (7), shall include the reasons for the refusal.
- The total financing provided should equal the project cost.
- Infrastructural Documentary Requirements
- Plans and Maps.
- Location map showing the immediate surroundings
- Layout of on-site infrastructure including roads water pipes, sewage pipes and area taken by such facilities
- Design Features
- Road Reserves
- Arterial access or carriageway (Linear Measurements)
- Arterial (access or carriageway) 24.0m
- Internal access road 20.0m
- Minor access 15.0m
- Side roads and back lanes 9.0m
- Power Requirements – Mention the estimated power consumption that will be required in terms of KVAs.
- Water Requirements – Mention the estimated water consumption in terms of cubic meters per day.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Any free zone company developer that is incorporated in Uganda for the sole purpose of developing and operating a free zone are eligible.
- Both local and foreign business enterprises are eligible to be licensed to develop and operate a Free Zone provided they fulfill the following:
- The company must be registered or incorporated for the sole purpose of developing and operating a Free Zone in Uganda;
- The company must have an adequate equity base and access to capital to enable it develop a Free Zone or operate in a Free Zone; and
- The activities of the projects for which the Developer or Operator seeks the Free Zone’s Licence must be commercially viable and must be based on a suitable and credible Business Plan.
Developer’s licence fee: USD $250.
Valid for 5 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
A. PARTICULARS OF THE DEVELOPER
(a)Name of Company Developing the Free Zone
(b) Date of Incorporation/Registration of the company in Uganda _____________
(c) Physical Address of the Registered office
(d) Telephone Number_____________________________________
A. PARTICULARS OF THE SHAREHOLDERS
Name of the Shareholder(s)
Physical Address Nationality Number of Shares (%)
B. REPRESENTATIVE/CONTACT PERSON
(a) Company Name _________________________________________
(b) Contact Person ________________________________________
(c) Full Address _________________________________________
(d) Telephone Number _____________________________________
(e) Email Address _______________________________________
C. PARTICULARS OF THE PROPOSED FREE ZONE
(a) Name of the Free Zone
(c) Size of Free Zone (in acres/hectares)
____________________________________ (Attach copies of Land Title and Site Development Plan of the Free Zone)
(d)If land is developed, indicate size of the total built area and provide status of the following:
i)Security wall or Fence (Height in metres)
ii) Industrial Buildings and Offices
iii) Warehouse Storage facilities
iv) Parking Area
vi)Access Road & any other transport facility to the Zone
viii) Effluent Treatment Facility<br ix) Power
x) Water supply & Drainage facility
xi) ICT connectivity
xii) Customs Verification Bay and Tools
xiii) Flood lights
xiv Firefighting facility
xv) CCTV System
xvi) Stock Management System (Indicate whether manual or automated)
xvii) Office space for Customs
(e) Period for which the Free Zone will operate (in years)
I ………………………………………………………………………, hereby declare that to the best of my knowledge and belief, that all the particulars furnished in this Application are true and indemnify the Authority of any misrepresentation, omissions or any information that may in future prove to be false.
Signature of Director
Name and seal of the Applicant
Processing takes 4 Months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
A free zone may only be established in a building or area declared by the Minister in accordance with Regulation 4.
- Name of the applicant
- Organization/ company name
- Contact phone
- Contact email
- Postal address
- Male/ Female
- Date of application
- Duration of the program
- Accreditation Council
- Funding source.
- Course evaluation form
- Area of your practice.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- A person who wishes to operate a free zone shall, upon the recommendation of the Authority, apply to the Minister to declare a particular building or area of land in Uganda a free zone.
- A free zone may be established by one or more domestic or foreign developer.
- Where several developers establish a free zone, the developers shall sign an agreement for the establishment of the free zone.
- A licence granted to a developer may be subject to conditions the Authority may consider appropriate.
- The conditions, if any, shall be endorsed on the licence and shall form part of the licence.
- The licence shall state the date on which the developer is to commence development activities, which in any case must not be later than twelve months after receipt of the licence.
- Where a licensed developer is unable to commence development activities in the free zone within twelve months, the developer shall apply to the Authority for extension of time to commence development activities.
- An application for extension of time under sub-regulation (2) shall be in Form 4 in the Schedule.
- The Authority shall, in writing, within thirty days after receipt of the application under sub-regulation (2), grant the application for extension or refuse the application.
- An application for extension of time to commence development activities shall only be granted by the Authority for just cause for a further period of twelve months.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.