Uganda - Apply For Coffee Export License (permit)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Application for a Coffee Export license is done in person by visiting the Uganda Coffee Development Authority Head Offices or their field offices in the counties.
- Here you will be issued with Application for Exporter’s License to fill and submit.
- Fill in the required information carefully and attached the required documents.
- Submit the completed application form and pay the required application fee and submit the receipt as proof of payment.
- This is followed by an inspection of applicants by the Authority field Officers
- The Authority field officers will make recommendations on the application and forward their report forwarded to Authority’s Headquarters for the ultimate Board approval.
- Upon a successful approval by the board a list of approved coffee Exporters is published in the Uganda gazette.
- At this point the applicant is notified and he/she will be required to pay the respective license fee to the board and submit the receipt as proof of payment.
- Once the license processing is done the Coffee Exporter’s License is issued to the applicant of license by the Managing Director of the Uganda Coffee Development Authority.
- A certified copy of certificate of incorporation.
- A certified copy of memorandum and articles of association.
- A paid up share capital.
- Names of company directors, individual National ID/Passport Number, Tin Numbers and certificate of good conduct.
- Names and addresses of two business referees.
- Tax compliance certificate from Uganda Revenue Authority (URA).
- Clearance letter from the Uganda Coffee Exchange (UCE).
- Undertaking to furnish the Authority with monthly returns.
- Any other requirements that may be prescribed by the Authority from time to time.
- If applicant is a registered business, the certificate of registration and particulars of the proprietors.
- Certificate of incorporation
- Memorandum and article of association
- Tax Identification number
- Contract of approved coffee trader
- Agreement/Letter naming a licensed coffee liqueur
- Certificate of compliance
- Commercial invoice
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA)
Plot 35 Jinja Road, Coffee House,
P.O. Box 7267 , Kampala
Tel: +256 312 260 471 / +256 312 260 470
Fax: +256 414 256 994
Email: [email protected]
Website:Uganda Coffee Development Authority
All Companies and individual intending to export coffee are Eligible.
- Coffee export license: 1,500,000Ugshs
- Contract / transaction amount: 1,893,581.70 Ugshs - 7,574.33 %
- 2 % contract / transaction amount for the performance bond (USD 500) -
- Pre shipment inspection cost: 25,000Ugshs
- For issuance of phytosanitary certificate: 5,000Ugshs
- This is an estimate cost per container: UGX 189,358.17 (USD 50)
Valid for 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
With one month
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Local coffee roaster licence:
- Roasting coffee transforms the chemical and physical properties of green coffee beans into roasted coffee products. A business wishing to roast coffee must be registered as local coffee roaster with the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) and be issued with a local coffee roaster licence. The licence is valid for one financial year beginning 1st July (to 30th June).
Coffee liquor’s licence:
- A coffee liquorer is a person with formal training in classifying coffee by tasting. The coffee liquorer licence is issued by the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) and has unlimited validity. Coffee exporter can contract the service of the coffee liquorer.
Coffee warehouse licence:
- Coffee warehouse licenses are issued by the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) to warehouse owners who meet the International Coffee Organization (ICO) criteria. Inspection is done by authorized officer to the coffee storage area prior to distribution for sale. The licence is valid for a period of one year.
Coffee export license: Green coffee export licence:
- Green coffee is coffee that has not been roasted. Export of green coffee is regulated by Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) who issues the green coffee export licence. The licence is valid for one financial year beginning 1st July (to 30th June).
Direct export of premium green coffee:
- A grower of coffee (farmer, cooperative, estate owner) who intends to export coffee through direct sale (without going through the coffee auction) must obtain the direct export of premium coffee licence issued by the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA). The licence is valid for one financial year beginning 1st July (to 30th June). Premium coffee means top grade and high quality coffee which has been uniquely prepared. Direct coffee exporters can only export coffee that is deemed premium.
Instant coffee export licence:
- A business wishing to export instant coffee must be registered as an exporter with Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) and be issued with the instant coffee export licence. The licence is valid for one financial year beginning 1st July to 30th June.
Roast and ground coffee export licence:
- A business wishing to export roasted and grounded coffee must be registered as an exporter with the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) and be issued with a roasted and grounded coffee export licence. The licence is valid for one financial year beginning 1st July to 30th June.
Green coffee export approval:
- Green coffee export approval permit certifies that a company has been authorized by Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) (shipment)for a certain amount of coffee with specified coffee grades. The approval is valid for a period of sixty days only and is used once for a single shipment.
Instant coffee export approval:
- A business wishing to export instant coffee must obtain the instant coffee export approval from the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA). The approval is valid for a period of sixty days only and is used once for a single shipment.
Permit of direct coffee export:
- A grower of coffee (farmer, cooperative, estate owner) who intends to export coffee through direct sale (without going through the coffee auction) must obtain the permit of direct export of premium coffee issued by the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA). The permit is valid for a period of sixty days only.
International Coffee Organization (ICO) certificate of origin:
- All exporters of coffee are required to obtain an International Coffee Organization (ICO) Certificate of Origin for each consignment as per the Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) regulation.
Certificate of radioactivity analysis:
- A certificate of radioactivity analysis is issued by Uganda Atomic Energy Commission (UAEC) it certifies that the foods are radioactive free and it is market requirement depending on the destination of the goods.
- Export of coffee can either be done by grower marketers or coffee dealers. The grower marketers export through direct sales where they negotiate prices directly with the buyer while coffee dealers export through auction regulated by Uganda Coffee Development Authority (|UCDA) where they buy coffee from marketing agents who sell coffee on behalf of the smaller holder growers aggregated as co-operative societies and large estate owners. Most coffee is exported through Mombasa port and clearance is done by a contracted clearing and forwarding agent.
- Name of the applicant (individual / Organization)
- Address (Postal)
- Physical location
- Date of incorporation
- Name of company
- Location of principal office
- Details of capital structure ( Nominal and Paid up capital)
- Full names, addresses and occupations of the directors
- Details of Branch Office(s) if any
- Name, Address and Telephone of the Chief Executive.
- A statement listing the names of holding companies, associated companies or partnerships in which the applicant has interest.
- Names and address of two business referees.
Need for the Document
This Licence is necessary to export coffee form Uganda to other countries.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.