Wikiprocedure > Spain

Spain - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Apply in Person
  1. Write a request stating the cause that motivates the change of name, addressed to the Minister of Justice or General Director of Registries and Notaries in your domicile.
  2. Attach all the required documents to written document and submit it personally to the civil registry office you have addressed it to. In case of a minor the application can be made by the legal representative.
  3. They will receive your application and commence processing your request in accordance with law. This process take time so you will have to wait.
  4. At the end of resolving your request, they will inform you if your application was successful or if it has been dismissed.
  5. If the resolution is positive, your name change will have been legally granted and you will be able to use it from now on, being able to change your documents.
  6. If it is negative, your change will have been rejected and you will have to accept it or appeal the verdict.

Apply via mail
  • In case you are send you application via mail, address the letter to the civil registry of your domicile and attach the required documents. And post it to the relevant address of the registry office in your area of domicile.
  • They will receive your request and process in accordance with the law and give their verdict you the request either positive or negative.

Application from Abroad
  • If you need to apply from abroad make an appointment with nearest Spain embassy to complete your request.

Required Documents[edit]

Regarding the change of surnames:

  • Written request stating the cause that motivates the change addressed to the Minister of Justice or General Director of Registries and Notaries.
  • Literal certification of the birth registration of the person affected by the change.
  • Test (documentary, public or private and / or testify), to accredit in each case, the use and knowledge, the legitimacy and line from which the surnames come or any other circumstance on which the request is based. To certify the legitimacy of the surname, certifications of the birth certificates of the parents and, if necessary, of previous ascendants must be provided. In the absence of these, being possible, their baptismal items.
  • In the case of adaptation of surnames to other Spanish languages, certificates of the Royal Academies of the corresponding official languages.

Regarding the change of order in surnames:

Request to change the order of the surnames of the newborn.
  • Application addressed to the Judge Responsible for the Civil Registry that corresponds by providing certification of the parents' marriage and if there is not, certification of their birth.
  • Declaration of the mutual agreement of the parents on the change of the order of the child's surnames.
Application for surname investment made by the adult
  • If the change of order is requested, the adult must provide, along with the application, the certificate of the registration of his birth.

Regarding the name change:

  • Application addressed, as the case may be, to the Civil Registry or to the Minister of Justice or General Director of Registries and Notaries. To the Civil Registry, it is advisable to direct it when it comes to changing the name registered by the one that is habitually used.
  • Literal certification of the birth registration of the person affected by the change.
  • Documentary evidence that proves, where appropriate, the habitual use of the proposed name or any other circumstance on which the petition is based.
  • In general, since there are several assumptions, it is advisable to provide baptismal items, make a proposal of witnesses, as well as, the corresponding certificates of the Royal Academies of the respective official Spanish languages ​​for the assumption of substitution of the proper name by its onomastic equivalent in said languages

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministry of Justice

Address: Travessa d'en Ballester, 20
Telephone: 971219458
Fax: 971219484
Town: Palma de Mallorca
Post Code: 07002
Email: [email protected]
Addresses and Phone Numbers Contact info
Spain Embassies and Consulate



  • The change of name or surname may be requested by any citizen of legal age, or legal representatives in the case of a minor or incapacitated person.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


  • Names are valid for ever until changed

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

  • Within 30 days

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.



  • The interested party in the change of name and surname must make a written request, directed, as the case may be, to the Ministry of Justice or the Judge in Charge of the Registry.
  • The request for the change of name and surnames must be submitted in the Civil Registry of the address.
  • The investment of last names of the adults and their orthographic regularization to adapt them to the corresponding grammar and phonetics of the Spanish language, may be formalized by means of a simple declaration before the person in charge of the Civil Registry of the domicile and not having effect as long as they do not register.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence


Need for the Document[edit]

  • After you have legally changed your name, you will need the document to amend other important documents like your identification card and bank details

Information which might help[edit]

nombre apellidos

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Spain Consulate In Frankfurt
The Ministry of Justice Spain
Civil Registry.



More information which might help people.