Wikiprocedure > Scotland

Scotland - How To Replace your Driving Licence if Lost, Stolen, Defaced or Destroyed

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


By Online

You can apply and pay for a replacement of your driving licence online by using your government gateway ID. If you dont have one or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application. Go to this website to start your application:

For Photocard driving licence holder

Apply by phone

  • You can apply by phone if one or both parts of your photocard licence have been lost or stolen and none of your details have changed. DVLA accepts the following credit or debit cards - MasterCard, Visa or Eurocard and the fee is 20.00. The telephone number is 0300 790 6801. Lines are open during the following times:
    • Driver and Vehicle General lines - Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 7.00 pm; Saturday 8.00 am to 2.00 pm
    • You wont be able to apply by phone if your licence is due to expire or has expired.

Apply by post

  1. Fill in the D1 application for a driving licence or D2 Application for a lorry/bus licence available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches. You can download the form here:
  2. Include the part of your licence you have if only one part is missing.
  3. Send your application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB


  • Youll also need to provide original documents to confirm your new name if its changed since your last licence was issued.
  • If you need to renew your photo
    • You can renew your photo at any time, however, if your photo is due to expire very soon, itll need to be renewed before the date of expiry. You won't be able to renew your photo using the telephone.
For Paper driving licence holder
Apply in person or by post
  1. Fill in the D1 application for a driving licence or D2 Application for a lorry/bus licence available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches. You can download the form here:
  2. Enclose original documents confirming your identity and a passport type photo.
  3. Return your paper licence if its been defaced.
  4. Send all your documents to DVLA and pay the fee.


Required Documents[edit]

Identity documents
  • UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
  • Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
    • a full valid current passport
    • a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • a UK certificate of naturalisation
    • for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
      • recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
      • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
  • UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • Proof of evidence if you have changed name

Advertise On This Page

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Driver Licensing Enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Textphone: 0300 123 1278
Fax: 0300 123 0784
Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team
DVLA Offices



  • You can replace your current British driving licence if you:
    • have lost your British licence (full or provisional) or it has been stolen, defaced or destroyed
    • are a resident of Great Britain
    • can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
    • are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
    • have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
    • can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years


When applying to change your name or address on your driving licence, if you have lost your paper licence or any or both parts of your photocard licence, and or wish to renew your photo, the fee is 20.


A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

  • DVLA aims to send your new driving licence to you within three weeks of getting your application. Itll take longer if your health or personal details need to be checked.
  • Allow at least 21 days for your driving licence to get to you before contacting DVLA.

Advertise On This Page

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • You need to replace your driving licence if it has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed.
  • You can do this by online, by telephone, by post, or you may be able to use the premium checking service.
  • You need Proof of identification, 3 years of address details required and a Debit or credit card is required when applying for a replacement.
  • If you want to renew the photo on your licence when applying for the replacement youll need a UK passport issued in the last 5 years.
  • You must return your old licence to DVLA with an explanatory letter if you find it after requesting or receiving your new duplicate photocard driving licence.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Country of birth
  • Passport number
  • Date of issue
  • Gender
  • Contact address
  • Postcode
  • Updated Telephone number
  • Email Address


Need for the Document[edit]

You must replace your driving licence if it has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed. You can do this by following the below instruction and procedure.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

UK Government:
The Highway Code:



More information which might help people.