Poland - Apply for an Identity Card
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicants must personally appear at the municipal body to apply for the ID card, except for minors under the age of 5. For minors, application are submitted by their parents or legal guardians.
- Submit the application form along with all other required documents.
- Applicants must also personally appear at the municipal body to receive their new ID card. Except for the following cases:
- A minor who have not yet reach the age of 13.
- Individuals who are completely incapacitated (under parental authority), the parent will receive the ID card.
- Individuals who are completely incapacitated (under parental authority), the guardian will be the one to receive the ID card.
- A minor, who has completed the age of 13, and is not obliged to obtain an ID card, the card may be collected by the minor,or by the minor's parent or guardian.
- Individuals who are completely incapacitated, ID card may be collected by someone appointed by the court.
- Two recent and similar photo of the applicant with dimensions of 35 x 45 mm , the person must not wear any hat or dark glasses
- Abridge copy of the birth certificate - for those who have not entered into marriage; an abridged copy of the marriage, for those who are married.
- If the data stated in submitted document raise doubts as to the nationality of the person, at the request of the municipal authority, the application must be accompanied by proof of possession of Polish citizenship .
- Individuals with congenital or acquired defects of the eye can be allowed to wear his/her glasses with dark lenses when taking photograph. In this case, the application shall be accompanied by the certificate of disability for persons 16 years of age or judgment about the degree of disability the person who has completed 16 years, due to congenital or acquired defects of the eye , issued in accordance with the provisions of the judgment of disability.
- Those who wears a headgear in accordance with their religious belief may be allowed to wear it when taking the photograph. In this case, the application shall be accompanied by a certificate stating that the person belongs to the said religious community.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Interior
Stefana Batorego 5, 02-591 Warszawa
Tel: (22) 143 60 66
Fax (22) 601 39 88
Customer Service Point (CSP MSW)
ul. Rakowiecka 2A, on the first floor Offices Passes MSW
Tel: (22) 60 143 66 (8:15am - 4:15pm)
Polish citizens who are residing in Poland are obliged to hold an ID card:
- When the citizen turns 18 years old.
- After reaching the age of 15, employed and no longer under any parental care.
The right to have an identity card are granted to the following:
- Polish citizens residing outside the Republic of Poland
- Minors, 13 years old or younger (the document is issued at the request of the parent or the guardian)
The Polish ID Card is issued for free for all applicants.
- For those who are aged 18 when the card was issued: 10 years
- For those who are aged younger than 18 when the card was issued: 5 years
- For those who are aged 65 when the card was issued: Indefinite
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Processing time may last for about 30 days from the time the application was submitted. In some cases, the card may be collected earlier or later than 30 days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Identity card may be obtained from any city office (urząd miasta). It has to be collected at the same office at which it has been applied for.
Submission of application form to obtain an ID card and receipt of the ID card requires the personal appearance of the applicant at the municipal office.
It is not possible for a third person to apply in behalf of a Polish Citizen residing abroad.
The Identity Card contains the following information:
- holder's complete name
- parents' names
- date and place of birth
- PESEL number
- name of the authority issuing the identity card, date of issue and period of validity
- series and number of the identity card
- facial image
- machine-readable data
Need for the Document
An ID card is a document that certifies the identity and citizenship of its holder. This document entitles Polish citizens to cross borders of EU Member States, EEA countries outside the European Union and countries which are not parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, where citizens can enjoy the freedom of movement of persons basis of agreements between these countries and the European Community and its Member States, recognize as sufficient to cross the border.
Following are procedures on how to apply for an identity card.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Ministry of Interior:
More information which might help people.