Norway - Register to Vote
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Voters residing in Norway:
- If you were registered as resident of a municipality on 30 June of election year and is entitled to vote your name is automatically inscribed in the electoral register.
- If you have moved to another municipality after 30 June, you are still registered in the electoral register and have the right to vote in the municipality you moved from.
Voters residing abroad:
- If you live abroad, but has been registered in the National Population Register as resident in Norway some time in the past 10 years, your name is automatically inscribed in the electoral register in the municipality where you were registered as a resident when you moved from Norway.
- If you are no longer registered as resident in Norway for the last 10 years, you must apply for registration in the electoral register. The application is to be sent to the municipality where you were last registered as resident.
- You apply by signing the cover envelope used for advance voting abroad. You may also apply by sending a letter. The application for inclusion in the electoral register shall contain a declaration that you still are a Norwegian national.
- Your application must be received by the electoral committee, in the municipality where you were last registered in the National Population Register as resident, 14 September at 21.00 hours to be accepted.
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation
Department of Local Government
Director General's Office
Phone +47 22 24 72 00
The following individuals are entitled to vote in the Municipal and County Council elections:
- Norwegian nationals who are 18 years of age by the end of 2015 and are, or have at some time been, registered at the Population Registry as resident of Norway.
- Nationals of another Nordic country who are 18 years of age at the end of 2015 and who were registered at the Population Registry as resident in Norway no later than 30 June 2015.
- Other non-Norwegian nationals who are 18 years of age by the end of 2015 and have been registered at the Population Registry as resident in Norway continuously for the three years preceding Election Day.
Norwegian public servants who are employed in the diplomatic corps or the consular service and members of their household are entitled to vote even if they do not satisfy the residence criterion. If they have never been registered as resident in Norway, they shall be registered as electors in Oslo municipality.
Trial with right to vote for 16-year-olds in 20 municipalities:
Following is a list of municipalities where they allow 16- and 17-year-olds (born in 1999 or earlier) to vote in the Municipal Government election if they meet the other requirements mentioned above: Austevoll, Eid, Gausdal, Hamar, Horten, H, Kautokeino, Klbu, Kristiansund, Lillesand, Luster, Mandal, Marker, Mlselv, Namdalseid, Oppegrd, Porsgrunn, Stavanger, Tysfjord and Vads.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The Department of Local Government under the Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation is responsible for the overall organisation of national and local government elections.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
An electoral register is a list of names of those who are entitled to vote in a municipality. To be able to cast a vote, your name must be registered on electoral register.
This procedure provides you information on how voter registration works.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.