Norway - Obtain an Emergency Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Obtaining an emergency passport
- Gather all necessary documents you will need to present to obtain an emergency passport, documentation of the journey and the application form.
- Emergency passports are issued by your local police.
- Submit all required the documents to the passport office, do not forget to include your passport photo. Biometric kiosks available at police stations can not be used to take a photo for an emergency passport.
- Pay the passport fee. Emergency passport costs the same as an ordinary passport.
Using your emergency passport
- Make sure to check if the country that you are travelling to accepts emergency passports.
- Emergency passports can not be used for entry into the United States and may only valid for one single journey.
- Emergency passport must be handed to the police or border control when you return to Norway.
- The photo must be correctly exposed and of good quality
- The photo can be in black / white or colored
- The photo must not be older than six months
- Photo size - 35 x 45 inches
- The photo must be taken from the front (focus on eyes), and against a white background
- The photo must show the whole head and top of shoulders, no shadow
- The face should cover 70-80% of the frame, example: the distance from the head to the chin should be at least 30 millimeters
- Eyes must be open and clearly visible, the eyes should not be covered by hair
- Both chin, forehead and both cheeks are visible
- The mouth should be closed
- Glasses must be removed when taking the photo
- The child should also remove his/her headgear when taking the photo. (Caps, hats, hair bands, scarves etc.)
- If the child must wear the headgear for religious or other justifiable reasons, such as illness, the passport office may allow him/her to do so as long as it's likely that he/she will use the similar headgear in controls later. Make sure the child's headgear does not cover any part of the face or more of the head than necessary.
- Thin unobtrusive headband or hair band drawn well back from the face. They will not be visible in the picture
- Hairpins may be used, provided they do not cover parts of the face
Office Locations & Contacts
- You may request for an emergency passport in case your new passport got lost in the mail and you do not have enough time to order a new passport.
- If you lose your passport abroad, you may obtain a temporary passport at the nearest Norwegian foreign service mission in the country you are currently staying.
- For those over the age of 16: kr 450
- For those under the age of 16: kr 270
You can pay for the passport fee in cash or you may also use a debit card (credit card payments are not accepted)
Emergency passports can not be used for entry into the United States and may only valid for one single journey.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Emergency passports are issued by the police in case a citizen is unable to obtain an ordinary passport before the day he/she is supposed to travel abroad.
Following are procedures on how to obtain an emergency passport in Norway.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Norwegian Police Website:
More information which might help people.