Norway - Obtain a Passport (For Minors)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Individuals under the age of 18 must be accompanied by at least one of his/her parent for their application to be accepted by the passport officer.
- If both parents have custody over the child or the minor, both must agree to the submission of application.
Accompanying your child during the application process
- Parents accompanying their child in the passport office must bring their own credentials and written consent and identification or officially certified copies of credentials from the other parent who is unable to the come to the passport office to accompany their child.
- Proxy forms are available on line.
- The authorization and proxy forms must be dated and not older than 3 months.
- The passport must be signed by the applicant. Affixing one's signature on the passport does not apply to children younger than 10 years old or those who are unable to write their name. In such cases, words "Not able to sign" will be printed on the signature field of the passport.
- The applicant's personal identification number or birth certificate will be needed during the application process.
Collecting your passport
- Indicate in the passport application how you would like to receive the passport: you may have the passport mailed to you or you can collect it directly from the police.
- If your passport got lost in the mail, immediately notify the police. The incident will be recorded in the central passport registry and this will prevent any abuse. In case this happens to you, you may apply for a new passport free of charge.
- All passports are sent by ordinary mail. This is considered safe because the passport is well protected against tampering and counterfeiting.
- Due to high volume of passport application received during the summer season, passport delivery may take longer than the usual 10 working days. Apply for a passport well in advance, preferably as early as three weeks before you travel.
- If you have not received the passport within 10 days (working days), you must notify the police so that a new passport may be ordered. In a meanwhile, if you really need to travel abroad, the passport office may issue you an emergency passport, for free. Emergency passports can not be used for entry into the United States.
Passport Photo - for children under the age of 3 years old:
- The photo must be correctly exposed and of good quality
- The photo can be in black / white or colored
- The photo must not be older than six months
- Photo size - 35 x 45 inches
- The photo must be taken from the front (focus on eyes), and against a white background
- The photo must show the whole head and top of shoulders, no shadow
- The face should cover 70-80% of the frame, example: the distance from the head to the chin should be at least 30 millimeters
- Eyes must be open and clearly visible, the eyes should not be covered by hair
- Both chin, forehead and both cheeks are visible
- The mouth should be closed
- Glasses must be removed when taking the photo
- The child should also remove his/her headgear when taking the photo. (Caps, hats, hair bands, scarves etc.)
- If the child must wear the headgear for religious or other justifiable reasons, such as illness, the passport office may allow him/her to do so as long as it's likely that he/she will use the similar headgear in controls later. Make sure the child's headgear does not cover any part of the face or more of the head than necessary.
- Thin unobtrusive headband or hair band drawn well back from the face. They will not be visible in the picture
- Hairpins may be used, provided they do not cover parts of the face
- Valid Norwegian driver's license or other equally secure photo ID and personal identification, such as credit cards with photo
- Certificate or letter stating the applicant's citizenship
- Old passport, even it has expired less than 3 months ago (for renewal)
- If you are unable to present a valid Norwegian passport or passport that expired less than three months ago, the police may require you to bring someone (Norwegian citizen) who can confirm in writing your identity.
- For the other parent: original ID may be presented or a certified copy of the ID
Completed Authorization/Consent Form
Office Locations & Contacts
- Norwegian Citizens
- For those over the age of 16: kr 450
- For those under the age of 16: kr 270
You can pay for the passport fee in cash or you may also use a debit card (credit card payments are not accepted)
A passport is only valid as long as the holder can be recognized from the image on the passport, and as long as the passport is unaltered or undamaged.
Passport Validity (for Persons under 16 years of age)
- 0-5 years old: two years
- 5-10 years old: three years
- 10 to 16 years old: five years
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Passports are usually delivered 10 working days after receipt of application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Individuals applying for a passport (including infants) must be present during the application process at the passport office, and they must be accompanied by at least one of their parents.
Both parents must give their consent to the child applying and receiving a passport.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A passport is a document, issued by the national government. It certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for travel abroad. It contains information about the holder; like name, gender, date and place of birth.
This document does not in itself entitle the passport holder entry into another country, nor consular protection while abroad nor any other privileges. However, it does normally allows the passport holder to return to the country where the passport was issued.
Rights to consular protection arises from international treaties, while the holder's return to the issuing country depends on the laws prevailing in that country.
Following are procedures on how to obtain a passport for minors.
Information which might help
There are usually long queues at passport offices between the months of April to August, if possible submit your application before or after these months. It is also advisable to apply for a passport in a police station in your area.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Norwegian Police Website:
More information which might help people.