Norway - Obtain a Passport (For Adults)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Applying for a passport
- Go to passport office and submit your application to obtain a passport.
- Passport offices are equipped with biometric kiosks which will take the applicant's photo that will be used in the passport. In some cases it is still necessary to bring your own passport photo.
- It can be difficult for disabled individuals to use the equipment at the passport office, people on big wheelchairs may not be able to fit inside the biometric kiosks, while those who are in regular wheelchairs may be to low to use the camera. For those who fall within these categories should contact the passport office in advance for practical clarifications regarding the photo, signature and fingerprint.
- You will have to surrender your old passport if you are applying for a new passport or renewing your expiring/expired passport.
- When affixing your signature, it should be written with Latin letters and use of special symbols such as a smiley face or a flower is not permitted by passport authorities.
Collecting your passport
- You must indicate in your passport application how you would like to receive your passport: you may have the passport mailed to you or you can collect it directly from the police.
- If your passport got lost in the mail, immediately notify the police. The incident will be recorded in the central passport registry and this will prevent any abuse. If this happens to you, you may apply for a new passport free of charge.
- All passports are sent by ordinary mail. This is considered safe because the passport is well protected against tampering and counterfeiting.
- Due to high volume of passport application received during the summer season, passport delivery may take longer than the usual 10 working days. Apply for a passport well in advance, preferably as early as three weeks before you travel.
- If you have not received the passport within 10 days (working days), you must notify the police so that a new passport may be ordered. In a meanwhile, if you really need to travel abroad, the passport office may issue you an emergency passport, for free. Emergency passports can not be used for entry into the United States.
- Valid Norwegian driver's license or other equally secure photo ID and personal identification, such as credit cards with photo
- Certificate or letter stating the applicant's citizenship
- Old passport, even it has expired less than 3 months ago (for renewal)
Note: If you are unable to present a valid Norwegian passport or passport that expired less than three months ago, the police may require you to bring someone (Norwegian citizen) who can confirm in writing your identity.
- You will need to bring your own passport photo in case biometric kiosks are unavailable. Photo specifications:
- The photo must be correctly exposed and of good quality
- The photo can be in black / white or colored
- The photo must not be older than six months
- Photo size - 35 x 45 inches
- The photo must be taken from the front (focus on eyes), and against a white background
- The photo must show the whole head and top of shoulders, no shadow
- The face should cover 70-80% of the frame, example: the distance from the head to the chin should be at least 30 millimeters
- Eyes must be open and clearly visible, the eyes should not be covered by hair
- Both chin, forehead and both cheeks are visible
- The mouth should be closed
- Glasses must be removed when taking the photo
- You should also remove your headgear when taking the photo. (Caps, hats, hair bands, scarves etc.)
- If you must wear the headgear for religious or other justifiable reasons, such as illness, the passport office may allow you to do so as long as it's likely that you will use the similar headgear in controls later. Make sure your headgear does not cover any part of the face or more of the head than necessary.
- Thin unobtrusive headband or hair band drawn well back from the face. They will not be visible in the picture
- Hairpins may be used, provided they do not cover parts of the face
Office Locations & Contacts
- Norwegian Citizens
- Applicants must have a Norwegian identity number
Passport Fee: kr 450 (for over 16 years old)
You can pay for the passport fee in cash or you may also use a debit card (credit card payments are not accepted)
A passport is only valid as long as the holder can be recognized from the image on the passport, and as long as the passport is unaltered or undamaged.
Passport Validity (for Persons under 16 years of age)
- 0-5 years old: two years
- 5-10 years old: three years
- 10 to 16 years old: five years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Passports are usually delivered 10 working days after receipt of application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A passport is a document, issued by the national government. It certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for travel abroad. It contains information about the holder; like name, gender, date and place of birth.
This document does not in itself entitle the passport holder entry into another country, nor consular protection while abroad nor any other privileges. However, it does normally allows the passport holder to return to the country where the passport was issued.
Rights to consular protection arises from international treaties, while the holder's return to the issuing country depends on the laws prevailing in that country.
Following are procedures on how to obtain a passport for adults.
Information which might help
There are usually long queues at passport offices between the months of April to August, if possible submit your application before or after these months. It is also advisable to apply for a passport in a police station in your area.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Norwegian Police Website:
More information which might help people.