Wikiprocedure > Norway

Norway - Obtain Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • You do not need to book an appointment at the embassy to apply for the certificate, just bring along and submit all the required documents and pay all necessary fees. The certificate will be issued on the same day the application was received by the Norwegian Embassy.

It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in Norway. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrars account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • National identity card or Passport.
  • Proof of address.
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of previous spouse (and Marriage Certificate).
  • If your name has been changed by Deed Poll, proof is necessary.
  • The relevant fee.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Skatt st
Postboks 1073 Valaskjold
N-1705 Sarpsborg

Contact the Tax Office (Skatteetaten)

Search by municipality to find your nearest Tax Office/Tax Collection Office

Search for Norwegian diplomatic and consular missions abroad

Official Website Abroad

Ads by Google


Norwegian Citizens

As a private individual, you are generally not permitted to obtain any information which does not concern yourself, although there are certain exceptions. The same applies to private enterprises and institutions.


Application fees varies. Please contact Norwegian Diplomatic Mission in the country you are currently residing for more information regarding the amount, form of payment and whom to address your payment.

  • In the Philippines: Application fee PHP 1600.-


The certificate is valid for 4 (four) months.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

The certificate will be issued on the same day the application was received by the Norwegian Embassy.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.

This certificate is issued by the Royal Norwegian Embassies abroad, provided an original Certificate of no impediment to Marriage (Attest til bruk for ekteskapsinngelse etter utenlandsk rett, previously called Ekteskapsattest) is presented.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth and personal ID number
  • Residential address, if the party concerned does not cite a client relationship which must be considered personal

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

A Single Status Certificate also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

Some overseas countries would require a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" to be submitted before you can proceed with the actual marriage ceremony. The Certificate states that the applicant is single and has the capacity to enter into marriage.

Following are procedures on how to obtain a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage.

Information which might help[edit]

Apostille and legalization

Public documents and certificates are often required abroad. However, before a document can be used in a country other than the country that issued it, the document's orgin must generally be approved.


An apostille stamp confirms that a public official's signature on a document is genuine and that the person concerned actually has the authority and position stated on the document. However, the stamp does not confirm that the contents of the document are accurate.

The Hague Convention of 1961 made this stamp scheme possible. In the list of the countries that have acceded to the convention, you will find contact information for the authorities that are authorised to apply an apostille.

In Norway, it is the county governor who can apply an apostille to documents.


Documents and certificates from countries that have not acceded to the Hague Convention of 1961 must be legalised. Contact the foreign authority in the country concerned.

The legislation of Norwegian documents is carried out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non impediment or Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city they reside.

External Links[edit]

  • Norway, the official site in the Philippines:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Marriage Act

Ads by Google


If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.