Northern Ireland - Replace Lost / Stolen / Damaged Driving Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You may apply for a replacement driver's licence online. Before applying make sure to be ready with the following:
- a credit or debit card
- a valid email address
- (if known)your Northern Ireland driving licence number and expiry date (date it ran out on) - both can be found on the plastic card part of your driving licence – ‘5’ is the driving licence number and ‘4b’ the expiry date
- Click the link to start the process - Replace your driving licence online
- You will be asked to provide your, Driving licence number and expiry date. If you don’t have any of those mentioned details because your licence has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you can still continue with the online application.
- You will also be asked to provide the reason why you are replacing your driving licence
- Simply provide all the required information and mode of payment.
Apply by post
- You can also apply for replacement by post.
- You will need to complete a DL1 'application for a driving licence' form. The form is available from MOT centres or main Post Office (links are provided under 'Office Locations & Contacts' section) branches (DL1 forms are not downloadable). If you have changed your name since your last licence was issued, you will also need to complete sections 1c and 8 of the DL1 form and provide original documents to confirm your new name.
- Send the completed application form, including any remaining part of your licence and the application fee to the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA).
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Advertise On This Page
Office Locations & Contacts
Driver Vehicle Agency
0300 200 7861 /
(44) 28 9049 5914 (international) /
028 9067 5914 (geographical)
Email: [email protected]
Available from 9.15 am to 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday,
except bank holidays.
Opening times for every fourth Tuesday of the month are 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Application fee: £30
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Advertise On This Page
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Changes made to the format of Great Britain driving licences in 2015 have no effect on licences from the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) in Northern Ireland. NI licences are still made up of two parts, a plastic photocard and paper part which is known as the paper counterpart.
If you happen to lose, deface, or destroy one or both parts, you must apply for a replacement.
You can ask for a replacement online or by post.
If your licence has either expired or is within two months of expiring you cannot apply to replace your driving licence. You must apply to renew your licence.
If your driving licence is due to expire in the next 12 months you can consider applying to renew it now instead of replacing it. Either way costs the same.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.