Northern Ireland - Apply for Taxi Driving Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Before applying you apply for a taxi driving licence, must apply online for an Enhanced Disclosure Certificate (EDC) from AccessNI. - LINK
- Taxi drivers' licences are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA). To apply for one you will need to complete an application form. A link under 'Documents to Use' section which you can click to download the form.
- Submit the completed application form to DVA. Enclose original documentation confirming your identity and proof of residency, a passport style colour photograph and the fee to this address:
Taxi Licensing Section
Driver & Vehicle Agency (PTLD)
- Paying the application fee: Cheques or Postal Orders should be made payable to DVA. Cash should not be sent with a postal application
- You will need to pass the taxi theory and practical driving test before your application is accepted.
- Completed application form
- First applicants must have held a full category B (Car) driving licence continuously for 3 years at date of application. If you hold an EEA/Community licence you must submit both parts of your licence with your application.
- One recent colour passport sized photograph . The photograph should have your name and address on the back.
- All applicants are required to send in original documents to confirm their identity, right to work in the UK, and proof of address
- First time and renewal applicants 45 years or over, or applicants who have declared a medical condition will be asked to have a medical form completed by their GP. This will be sent to you by the Department. Depending on the information it contains further medical checks may be required which can delay a decision on your licence.
Office Locations & Contacts
Driver & Vehicle Agency
Passenger Transport Licensing Division
Phone: 028 9025 4100
You may apply for a taxi driver’s licence if:
- you have held a full Category B (car) driving licence continuously for at least three years immediately before you apply
- meet the necessary good repute requirements
- meet the necessary medical requirements
- have the right to work in Northern Ireland
First time applicants: £140
Cheques should be made payable to DVA. Please do not send cash, bank notes or blank postal orders with your application.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It will take about 10-12 weeks for your application to be processed.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Taxi drivers' licences are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA).
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.