Northern Ireland - Apply for Special Support Grant
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
To apply, print the Application form for Special Support Grant (from the 'Documents to Use' section), fill it up and send it to your Education and Library Board (ELB) along with evidence.
You should complete your online application to ensure you receive your full entitlement to Student Finance. If you do not have an online account you may create one - LINK
- Completed application form
Office Locations & Contacts
Student Finance Northern Ireland
- Phone: 0300 100 0077
- Minicom: 0300 100 0625 You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service
Monday to Friday - 8.00 am to 8.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday - 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
You may be eligible for a Special Support Grant if you:
- are a lone parent (or a lone foster parent) of a child, or young person aged under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level.
- have a partner who is also a student, and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level.
- have a disability and qualify for the Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium.
- are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs).
- have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- have been treated as incapable of work for a continuous period of at least 28 weeks.
- are from abroad and am entitled to an Income Support Urgent Cases Payment because you are temporarily without funds for a period of up to 6 weeks.
- are waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended.
- are aged 60 or older.
- are eligible for Housing Benefit.
- are entitled to Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
- are entitled to Disability Living Allowance.
Note: If you are eligible to receive a Special Support Grant you will not be eligible for a Maintenance Grant.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Special Support Grant: You may receive up to 3,475 depending on your household income and is intended to help with additional course related costs such as books, equipment, travel or childcare.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
The Special Support Grant replaces the Maintenance Grant for full-time students in certain circumstances. The Special Support Grant is based on your eligibility for income support or other means-tested benefits such as Housing Benefit. For example, if:
- you're a single parent
- your partner is a student and one or both of you are responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time non-advanced education
- you have certain disabilities
With the Special Support Grant (unlike the Maintenance Grant) Student Finance Northern Ireland will not reduce how much you get for your Maintenance Loan. Additionally, it does not count as income when working out income related benefits or tax credits.
Following is a procedure on how you can apply for a Special Support Grant.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Student Finance Northern Ireland - Website:
More information which might help people.