Nigeria - Adoption by Foreign Parents
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To adopt a child from Nigeria, the foreign parents should first make a list of Adoption Service Providers accredited by their origin country’s government, with respect to their choice.
- Choose one among them and contact it to inform that you need them to be your Primary Adoption Service Provider.
- Complete the procedure prescribed by them (if any) and then proceed to apply to the Department that deals with the Citizenship and Immigration Affairs in your country, for consent to adopt, with respect to the Immigration Regulations.
- Then, the parents should apply to the Ministry of Women Affairs of Social Development in Nigeria to register your intention to adopt and search for a matching child in Nigeria.
- Compose an application letter and submit it to the relevant authority at the Development office.
- You can find the address and contact details in the “Office Locations & Contacts” section of this page.
- Once a matching child is found, the applicant will be informed by the Development office and the adoptive parents should proceed to apply for Court’s Adoption Order.
- Please click on the following link for the contact details and address of the office of Federal Ministry of Justice contact link
- You can contact the Ministry to get details of the Family High Court. Visit the court with an application made in writing requesting permission for adoption.
- Make sure that you have all the documents listed in the “Required Documents” section of the page.
- Attach the documents with the written application and submit it to the relevant authority at the court.
- After submission, the court will arrange for an investigation which will be performed by the Child Development officers or other relevant officers from the Child Welfare Department.
- The officers will assess the applicant whether he/she is suitable to adopt a child and efficient to protect it as well as raise properly.
- Meanwhile, the court will verify the documents and application submitted. An assessment report will be sent to the court.
- Based on the verifications, assessment and other considerations that constitute a vital part in the child’s welfare, the court will decide whether to give permission or not.
- Anything that is decided will be informed to the applicant through mobile number or email.
- Completed application form (if any)
- Home study report of applicant
- Child study report
- Identity documents of parents
- Decree of Divorce
- Evidence of Financial assets
- Report of Police Clearance
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of Marriage
- Proof of Birth or Sworn Declaration of age of the applicant(s)
- Residential proof
- Proof of income
- Identity document of child
- Medical Fitness Certificate of the parents
- Required fees and proof of payment
- Consent to adoption
Office Locations & Contacts
Federal Ministry of Justice,
Plot 71B, Shehu Shagari Way,
Phone: +234 8050888806
Email: [email protected]
Website homepage link
Zonal offices: Zonal offices
Google map directions
Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development,
Annex 3, New Federal Secretariat,
Shehu Shagari Way,
Phone: +234 9 5237112
Fax: +234 9 5233644
Email: [email protected]
- Any foreigner, who wishes to adopt a Nigerian child, can apply.
- The applicant should be medically, mentally and physically fit to be able to protect and raise a child.
- The applicant’s country should be in convention with Nigeria, in case adopting a child.
- The child to be adopted should be lesser than 17 years of age.
Please approach the office for fees details.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.gIn the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Names of the applicant/prospective parents
- Age of the applicant/prospective parents
- Name of the child
- Age of the child
- Identity document numbers
- Passport number
- Country of origin
- Details of marriage
- Address information
- Medical information
- Contact number and email address
Need for the Document
Foreign parents who are willing to adopt a child from Nigeria, must follow the procedure prescribed above.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.