Lithuania - Register a New Vehicle
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Wherever you live in the EU, you must register your car in the country where you normally live or have your permanent residence.
You are not usually allowed to register your car in a country where you have a secondary residence or holiday house.
In order to register a vehicle, the following documents shall be submitted:
- to the Protocol Department:
- a Verbal Note;
- an application form (Annex 9).
- to the State Enterprise "Regitra" (hereinafter SE "Regitra"):
- an application form, approved by the Protocol Department;
- a document of lawful ownership/use;
- a vehicle registration certificate (original);
- a third party motor insurance;
- an owners/users identity document or authorisation to register a vehicle and an identity document of an authorised person;
- a copy of the Customs clearance declaration, if a vehicle is brought from outside the EU.
Please note that the documents shall be presented in the original forms. Scanned, faxed or e-mailed copies are not accepted.
Office Locations & Contacts
The vehicle may be registered at any branch of the SE "Regitra".
Address: Lentvario str. 7, LT-02241 Vilnius
Phone: (+5) 266 0099
Fax: (+5) 2666 1298
Ministry of Transport and Communications
Gedimino pr. 17, 01505 Vilnius. Juridinio a. k. 188620589.
Tel. 8 5 261 2363,
Fax: 8 5 212 4335,
State Enterprise REGITRA,
Liepkalnio street 97,
LT-02121 Vilnius, Lithuania
Tel. +370 5 266 0421,
Fax: +370 5 266 0423,
- New vehicles must be registered before being driven on a public road.
- If you bring a vehicle registered in another country, you must re-register it within 30 calendar days of driving for the first time in Lithuania.
Vehicle registration pricelist [132 KB (Lithuanian only)
New state diplomatic number plates and the vehicle registration certificate or the vehicle users certificate will be issued for a three-year period for the Mission and for the period corresponding to the validity of the ID card for a member of the Mission. After the date of expiry the vehicle should be re-registered, following the same procedure of registration. Please note that the accreditation card of a member of the Mission shall be renewed first.
The national state number plates are issued in general order for the unlimited period.
Documents to Use
Application Form (Annex 9)
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
If a vehicle is intended for the official use, an application form has to be signed and sealed by the Head of Mission or a person authorised by the Head of Mission. If a vehicle is intended for the private use the form shall be signed by a member of the Mission, and the Head of Mission or a person authorised and sealed by the stamp of the Mission.
There is no state registration tax in Lithuania, but separate fees are charged for registration of vehicles and number plates. Fees for registration of passenger cars (category M1) are discounted for disabled drivers, on presentation of a disability certificate.
- Technical data of motor vehicles;
- Data on the owners of motor vehicles;
- Registers handling data (licence plate numbers, registration documents and other registration procedures)
- Data on any imposed restrictions (obtained from other sources)
Need for the Document
Vehicles imported from abroad must be registered first before starting it using in the public traffic of the Republic of Lithuania. Prior to registration, the vehicle must be identified. No identification is required when new serial production M1 class vehicles are bought from the vehicle manufacturer's official dealer.
Information which might help
Exception: the Mission and a privileged person is exempted from meeting the EU standards when registering motor vehicles brought from outside the EU. However, if such a vehicle is sold to a non- privileged-person, for the registration the EU certificate of conformity is compulsory.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.