Lithuania - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Those wishing to register their marriage in Lithuania must take the same procedures as are required for Lithuanian marriages. The marriage is recorded in the civil registry office according to the residence of one of the spouses or their parents.
An application to register a marriage should be delivered to the registration office by both spouses in person. They must also provide identification documents and birth certificates.
- Personal identity documents;
- A birth certificate;
- If intending to marry a foreign national, his addition to the competent state bodies issued a document certifying that the marriage is no obstacle.
- If the foreign national is divorced or widowed, placing the competent state bodies issued a document confirming the divorce or the death of a former spouse.
- A payment order or receipt confirming payment of the state fee. These documents are not required if the application has been submitted online and paid through the e-government goal.
Office Locations & Contacts
The city of Vilnius Civil Registry Division
Address: Kalinausko g. 21, 03107 Vilnius
Tel: (8 5) 233 47 20
Alytus district municipality administration,
Civil registration department
Address: Flock g. 21, 62135, Alytus
Tel: (8 315) 55 512
E-mail: @ v.silvanaviciene arsa.lt
Kaunas city civil registry office
Address: A town hall. 15, 44279 Kaunas
Tel: (8 37) 42 27 66
E-mail: @ civilines.metrikacijos.skyrius kaunas.lt
Articles 3.12-3.17 of the Civil Code define, that:
- Marriage may be contracted only with a person of the opposite gender;
- Marriage may be contracted by a man and a woman of their own free will. Any threat, coercion, deceit or any other lack of free will shall provide the grounds on which the marriage be declared null and void;
- Marriage may be contracted by persons who, by or on the date of contracting a marriage, have attained the age of 18;
- A person who has been declared by a res judicata (court judgement) to be legally incapacitated may not contract a marriage;
- A married person who has not terminated his or her marital bond in accordance with the procedures laid down by the law may not enter into a second marriage;
- Marriage between parents and children, adopters and adoptees, grandparents and grandchildren, real or foster-brothers and real or foster-sisters, cousins, uncles and nieces, aunts and nephews is prohibited.
1st marriage register of civil registry office - 70 Lt
Second marriage register of those who want to get married in the chosen place - 210 Lt
The application for the registration of marriage is cancelled if at least one of the applicants fails to appear to register the marriage at the set time, or withdraws his or her application.
Documents to Use
31 calendar days, or a month
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
In order to register the marriage, future spouses have to file an application of a standard format with the Registration Office of the residence of one of them or, at their own discretion, of that of their parents. In their application future spouses have to confirm that all the conditions for contracting a marriage set forth in Articles 3.12-3.17 of the Civil Code have been complied with; each of them shall indicate the number of their previous marriages and the number of their children.
- Full names
- Personal code
- Place of birth
- Marital status (single, never married, widowed (married), divorced (married))
- Identity document
- Surname after marriage
Need for the Document
Procedures for the registration of marriage in the Lithuanian Republic are defined by the Civil Code of the Republic of Lithuania. Marriages are registered in the Register Office (a branch of the local municipality) of the residence of one of the spouses or their parents as well as in the consular posts of the Republic of Lithuania.
Information which might help
- Together with their application for the registration of marriage, the future spouses have to present their birth certificate and passport or any other identification document. A divorcee also has to present his or her divorce certificate.
- If the request is to verify the data required for the marriage of the application, the Internet, connecting to the service registry information system MEPIS is to pay a state fee advise only after approval of the performance of the service and correctly formatted payment instruction. Confirmation of the performance of the service, you can receive e-mail. email or SMS text message. This avoids potentially incorrect payments.
- Misinterpretation of payment reasons:
- Improper Payment code. When paying a state fee payment order shall be payment code of the municipality, which carries out the request. There are cases when it is submitted in one municipality and another place.
- For an application does not need to pay for the service can be denied.
- Paid the wrong amount. There may be cases where the request is not the same, and then paid the wrong amount.
- Payment must indicate details of the person on whose behalf the request is not a relative or other personal data.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
This service includes a request for a marriage reception, marriage, census records, and marriage certificate purchased. The request to marry shall be taken immediately, and the marriage is registered in accordance with law. Marriage record of one of the spouses or their parents declared a local civil registry office. Marriage recorded at least one month from the date of filing of the application.