Lithuania - Register a Foreign Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Those wishing to register their marriage in Lithuania must take the same procedures as are required for Lithuanian marriages. The marriage is recorded in the civil registry office according to the residence of one of the spouses or their parents.
- An application to register a marriage should be delivered to the registration office by both spouses in person. They must also provide identification documents and birth certificates.
- A foreign citizen must submit a document, provided by his/her local institutions, stating that marriage has no obstacles. Foreign citizens getting remarried will have to provide a divorce document if it was not included in the central database of Citizen Registry data.
- An application for a marriage to be entered must be submitted to the civil registry office. Citizens living abroad may submit their application to enter marriage into the records through a diplomatic mission or consular post of the Republic of Lithuania abroad.
- Personal identification document;
- Foreign public authority issued a marriage certificate legalized or attested (Apostille), where the Republic of Lithuania, international treaties and European Union law provides otherwise, and translated into the Lithuanian language;
- If one of the spouses is a foreign citizen divorced or widowed, his addition to the competent state bodies issued a document confirming the divorce or the death of a former spouse. If one of the spouses is a foreign citizen - foreign institutions to issue the documents (except passport) must be legalized or approval certificate (Apostille), when the Republic of Lithuania, international treaties and EU law provides otherwise, and translated into Lithuanian language;
- Power of attorney, if the applicant is an authorized representative or a person.
- A copy of the marriage certificate issued by a foreign institution, certified by a notary public, translated into the Lithuanian language and legalized, if not provided for otherwise by international agreements of the Republic of Lithuania
- Valid passports of citizens of the Republic of Lithuania or identity cards, a passport of a foreign national or copies thereof certified by a notary public
- A payment order or receipt confirming payment of the state fee. These documents are not required if the application has been submitted online and paid through the e-government goal.
Office Locations & Contacts
The city of Vilnius Civil Registry Division
Address: Kalinausko g. 21, 03107 Vilnius
Tel: (8 5) 233 47 20
Alytus district municipality administration,
Civil registration department
Address: Flock g. 21, 62135, Alytus
Tel: (8 315) 55 512
E-mail: @ v.silvanaviciene arsa.lt
Kaunas city civil registry office
Address: A town hall. 15, 44279 Kaunas
Tel: (8 37) 42 27 66
E-mail: @ civilines.metrikacijos.skyrius kaunas.lt
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
J. Tumo-Vaiganto str. 2, LT-01511 Vilnius,
Phone: +370 5 2362444,
Fax: +370 5 2313090,
Marriages performed abroad must be registered in Lithuania
A fee of 21 Lt is charged for this service.
A marriage is valid up to the time when the couple gets a divorce or one of them passes away.
Documents to Use
The processing period is one day.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Lithuania only recognizes foreign marriages if they are formed in valid countries. For example, selecting only religious marriages in France, Germany and Russia, and not registering them under civil law, means that the couple is not considered husband and wife in those countries. Therefore, this type of marriage will not be recognized in Lithuania. Apart from Lithuania, religious marriages are also recognized in the UK, Sweden, Finland and Latvia.
- Full names
- Personal code
- Place of birth
- Marital status (single, never married, widowed (married), divorced (married))
- Identity document
- Surname after marriage
Need for the Document
Marriages can be formed abroad, but in that case spouses must provide a proof document to Lithuanian registry office. Documents issued by foreign state institutions must be translated to Lithuanian and legalized.
Information which might help
Marriages of nationals of the Republic of Lithuania registered by institutions of a foreign state are entered into the records of the civil registry office of their place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania thus a marriage record entry is made and a marriage certificate is issued.
Marriages of nationals without permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania are entered by the Civil Registry Office of the City of Vilnius.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
According to the data from the Lithuanian registry office, last year 2,599 marriages were formed abroad. Lithuanians mostly chose the UK and Germany, however, exotic countries were also quite popular, namely Pakistan, Mauritius Island, India, and Jamaica.
If the application is submitted online, the online registry service information system MEPIS is a state fee we recommend to pay only upon approval of the performance of the service and correctly formatted payment instruction. Confirmation of the performance of the service, you can receive an email or SMS text message. This avoids potentially incorrect payments.
Misinterpretation of payment reasons:
- Improper Payment code. When paying a state fee payment order shall be payment code of the municipality, which carries out the request. There are cases when it is submitted in one municipality and another place.
- For an application does not need to pay for the service can be denied.
- Paid the wrong amount. There may be cases where the request is not the same, and then paid the wrong amount.
Payment must indicate details of the person on whose behalf the request is not a relative or other personal data.
Recipient: State Tax Inspectorate under the Ministry of
Recipient code: 188659752
Account number: LT247300010112394300
Reference No.: Contributions codes can be found at each of the Civil Registry office contacts