Lithuania - Obtain a Birth Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Parents wishing to obtain an original Lithuanian birth certificate for their child must complete all required forms and submit them along with the hospital record of birth, parents' passports or other forms of identification, and the parents' marriage certificate (if applicable) to the Civil Registrar's Office (Marriage Palace).
- Parents' personal identity documents;
- Health care facilities or doctors Advisory Commission issued a certificate of birth of the child and the time factor;
- Man, himself holding the child's father, mother and a notarized statement of parental recognition, if a child is born to unmarried parents.
Office Locations & Contacts
The city of Vilnius Civil Registry Division
Address: Kalinausko g. 21, 03107 Vilnius
Tel: (8 5) 233 47 20
Alytus district municipality administration,
Civil registration department
Address: Flock g. 21, 62135, Alytus
Tel: (8 315) 55 512
E-mail: @ v.silvanaviciene arsa.lt
Kaunas city civil registry office
Address: A town hall. 15, 44279 Kaunas
Tel: (8 37) 42 27 66
E-mail: @ civilines.metrikacijos.skyrius kaunas.lt
Only certain people can request a birth certificate. You must be:
- Person named on the birth certificate, who is 18 years of age or older (if under 18, immediate family member must apply)
- Legal representative
- Husband / wife
- Parent / step-parent*
- Brother / sister / half-brother / half-sister
- Son / daughter / stepson* / stepdaughter*
- Grandparent / great grandparent (specify maternal or paternal)
- Grandchild / great grandchild
- Power of Attorney (for person named on birth certificate or immediate family member listed above)
If the person named on the birth certificate is deceased, a family member who is not an immediate family member must submit a copy of the death certificate to be eligible to receive a certified copy of the birth certificate.
A step-parent or step-child is required to submit parents' marriage record supporting their relationship.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A Birth Certificate is an official copy of the birth registration and is often used to help establish a person's identity.
Provide information about the child named on the certificate
- Full name of child at birth and any subsequent legal name changes
- Date of birth
- City or county of birth
- Mother's full name including her maiden surname
- Father's full name (if his name is on the record)
Provide information about the person ordering the certificate
- Full name
- Relationship to person named on the certificate (father, mother, self, etc.)
- Mailing address (include city, state and zip code)
- Contact telephone
- Signature of applicant
Need for the Document
A birth certificate is an official document containing registered information about a person's birth. You may obtain a certificate by providing the required details.
Certificates can be used for purposes such as:
- getting a driver's licence;
- enrolling at school;
- applying for welfare benefits.
Information which might help
- You can get a birth certificate only if you have tangible interest.
- Some records are confidential and can only be obtained by certain people.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The Birth Certificate is issued by the provincial or territorial government and is required as identification to apply for other important personal documents. Birth certificates (with a raised seal) are issued and acceptable for various uses, such as:
- Personal identification
- Passport application
- Social Security
More information which might help people.