Wikiprocedure > Kosovo

Kosovo - Obtain Certificate of Marital Status / Single Status Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Apply In Person

  1. To Obtain a Certificate of Marital Status / Single Status Certificate, the applicant has to approach the Municipalities in Kosovo – link
  2. An application form will be provided to the applicant by the concerned officer.
  3. The applicant has to fill in all the necessary details in the application form. (Incomplete applications are not accepted)
  4. Make sure that the applicant has attached all the necessary documents that are mentioned in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
  5. The applicant has to attach the photocopies of the required documents along with the application form while submitting.
  6. Submit all the documents with the completed form to the concerned officer.
  7. The applicant has to pay the fee as per the authority’s request.
  8. After receiving the application, the concerned authority will check the submitted application and document set. If all are in place, the application will be accepted.
  9. An acknowledgment receipt will be provided. Please save it for future reference.
  10. Then the application will be processed further. All the updates on the application status will be sent via SMS to the applicant’s mobile number.
  11. Once the process gets completed, the applicant gets a call from the office regarding the application.
  12. The applicant has to complete the further process for collecting the certificate.
  13. This entire process can be completed within 30 days or as per the timeline advised by the respective department authority.


Required Documents[edit]

  • National identity card or Passport.
  • Proof of address.
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of previous spouse (and Marriage Certificate).
  • If your name has been changed by Deed Poll, proof is necessary.
  • The relevant fee.
  • Written request
  • In cases where information cannot be obtained from the registry of births:
    • Statement by two witnesses
    • Identification of the applicant and the witnesses.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Municipalities in Kosovo

Ministry of Internal Affairs
"Luan Haradinaj" p.n.
10000 Prishtin, Republika e Kosovs
Tel.: +381 (0)38 213 007
Centrex: 200 19 001
Fax: +381 (0)38 200 19 640
Public Communications Office Tel: + 381 (0) 38 200 19 545
Email: [email protected]

Kosovo Diplomatic Missions


In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Marital status certificates are valid for 6 months from date it was issued.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 


Marital status certificates are issued by the office of civil registry, using datas from the registry of birth. A certificate of marital status, can be obtained by sending a request for the said certificate by the person concerned.

Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses

Need for the Document[edit]

A Certificate of Marital Status is a document stating the applicant's marital status. This document is one of the requirements a citizen of Kosovo needed to submit if he/she is planning to get married.

Marital status certificate is an official document issued by the Office of Civil Status, based on data from the register of birth, ex officio or at the request of the person concerned. Whereas, in cases where there is no register of births, issued on the basis of statements of two witnesses and a copy of the identity document of the applicant and witnesses. If marital status of his / her decision is divorced, it should indicate divorce. Marital status certificate, valid 6 months from the date of issuance.

Following are procedures on how to obtain a Certificate of Marital Status.

Information which might help[edit]

Civil Registration in Kosovo

In order to access health care services, education and employment, social welfare and pension plans, as well as property and other services, you need to register.

In order to register your civil status upon your return, please contact the Municipal Civil Status Office, which deals with the registration of all births, marriages and deaths in the civil status registers and issues civil status certificates.

In order to obtain civil documents, please visit the Municipal Centre for Civil Registration, which issues identity cards and travel documents.

If you do not possess any type of personal document, please contact the Municipal Civil Status Office for more information.

The Municipal Centres for Civil Registration are located in all the municipalities of Kosovo that issue ID documents.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non impediment or Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city they reside.

External Links[edit]

  • Government of Kosovo Web Portal:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Ministry of Internal Affairs


If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.