Kinnaur - Transfer of Arms (Gun) License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
This procedure explains various ways to Transfer of Arms (Gun) License in Kinnaur.
In case of the licensee alive:
- The licensee has to submit his representation with the Arms Licensing branch of the concerned District magistrate administration office in the respective districts of Himachal Pradesh.
- Following link provides contact details: online link please select the district name to reach the district portal. Select About district menu and select the Who’s Who sub menu for respective information.
- All the documents for grant of new arms license to legal heir also to be submitted.
- The licensing authority may grant a license to such legal heir, if the eligibility conditions under the Arm Act and Arm Rules are met. These rules must be fulfilled by the said legal heir and mainly there should be no adverse remarks in the police records.
- This procedure is almost like applying for a new license and need to produce all the required document as in the case of a new arm license.
In case of death of licensee
- In case of death of the licensee, as a first step the relatives of the deceased (licensee) should come to Arms Licensing branch of the concerned District magistrate administration office in the respective districts of Kinnaur and submit the death certificate along with the original Arms license.
- Weapon deposit permission shall be issued to them by the Licensing Unit for depositing the weapon belonging to the deceased with any authorized arm dealer or with the nearest police station.
- Once the firearm is submitted then the legal heir will make the application for transfer to the licensing unit as advice by the authorities. This procedure will be same as the new license. All verifications, counselling and scrutiny will be done prior to transferring the license.
- Application form as obtained from respective office.
- Application in plain paper in case of licensee alive.
- Recent Passport size Photo.
- Valid Arm License
- Address Proof.
- Ration Card .
- Aadhaar Card.
- Income Tax Returns.
- Pan Card.
- Death certificate of the licensee (if applicable).
- Legal heir certificate.
- Affidavit from other legal heirs for transferring the license to applicant.
Office Locations & Contacts
Near CTO Office, Bemloi, Shimla,
Himachal Pradesh 171001.
Tel. +91 0177 265 5988
Link for contact information: online link please select the district name to reach the district portal. Select About district menu and select the Who’s Who sub menu for respective information.
Legal heirs includes husband, wife, son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister and grandchildren of the licensee or the deceased licensee.
- Fee information can be obtained directly from the department office while applying.
- Fees may vary in variation of the arms.
- A license is valid for 3 years from the date on which it is granted (unless revoked earlier) and need to be renewed before one month of expiry
- License may be granted for a shorter period also, if the person by whom the license is required desires or if the licensing authority decides
- License is renewable from time to time - Even the authority can ask for renewal in between the renewal period for recording purpose
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- 45 working days (Excluding submission of Arms and license).
- Renewal can be obtained little earlier.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
If the Licensee is Alive:
- The Licensee shall apply for transfer of the license to his/her legal heirs.
- The Licensee shall also make an affidavit before a first class magistrate regarding his wish to transfer of the license to the particular legal heir. The affidavit shall contain the full list of legal heir of the licensee also ( this is required by the Licensing Authority in case of unfortunate death of the license while the application is pending)
- The Legal heir shall, at the same time, submit application in prescribed form along with documents noted above.
- Rest procedure has been described in the forgoing paragraph.
If the Licensee is Dead
- One Legal heir shall submit application in prescribed form along with attested death certificate of the licensee and other documents noted above.
- All other legal heirs shall denounce their claims, either in same or separate affidavit sworn in before a first class magistrate.
- Rest procedure described above.
- Fill the application form specifying the reason to Transfer the firearm license and submit to the concerned approving authority.
- On receiving the application, the licensing department checks if the applicant has a past criminal record and verifies address.
- Neighbours are questioned whether the applicant gets involved in brawls and arguments in the neighbourhood frequently.
- The applicant is then called for an interview with respective authority to determine if he is mentally, physically sound.
- Applicant should also have a 'valid' reason for wanting to own a gun. Self-defence is counted as one of the reasons
- The licensing department also sends the applicant's details to the crime record office of the crime branch as well as the national crime record bureau.
- The applicant is then called for an interview with the respective authority of licensing.
- If the applicant clears all the above steps, he is granted arms licence book.
- Applicant has to come to the Arms Licensing Branch and submit the weapon, an application for the entry of the weapon, receipt from the Gun house, and the arms license book.
- After inspection, the District Magistrate signs the Arms License book, and the book is issued to the applicant.
- Name of Applicant
- Present and permanent address
- Date of birth, age
- Occupation and designation
- Whether the applicant has been:
- Convicted if so, (the offenses),the sentence and date of sentence.
- Ordered to execute a bond under chapter VIII of Cr. P. C. for keeping the peace or for good behavior if so when and for what period.
- Prohibited under the Arms Act, 1959 or any other law from having the arms/ ammunition.
- Whether the applicant applied for a licence before if so when to whom & with what result.
- Whether the applicants licence was over suspended or cancelled/ revoked if so, when and by whom and on what account.
- Whether any other member of the applicants family is in possession of an arms licenses if so particulars thereof.
- Whether the applicant :
- Is a licensee or esteem if so, description of arms hold.
- Has a safe place for keep the arm.
- Particulars of Licence
Need for the Document
- Indian National can claim a license for self defence, general security, sports-shooting etc.,
- Any person who wishes to carry firearms must first secure a license to do so and has to renew before the period of license lapse.
- When the original licensee is alive, he in his life-time may transfer the arms license to his legal heir and also when the original licensee has expired, the license can be transferred to legal heir.
- Arms license (also known as a gun license) is a license or permit issued by government to an eligible individual.
Information which might help
- Any foreign national is allowed to own and bear arms for a maximum period of 6 months during their stay in India, given valid reasons.
- Any Indian who is returning to India and has owned a gun in his foreign residence for over 2 years, can apply for an Indian license and bring back the gun they owned abroad.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Indian Arms Rules of 1962: http://gunaccessory.com/laws/rule_48-52.htm
- Individual Arms License:[https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.india-ava.org/fileadmin/docs/pubs/external-research/Arms_policy_for_individuals__2010.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiklMTbiqncAhVRXSsKHTYdBNgQFjAQegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw25y569OE71NG3DnwGH6hHE
Arms Rules 2010]
More information which might help people in Kinnaur can be listed here.