Kinnaur - Register a Death and Obtain Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
This procedure explains various ways to Register a Death and Obtain Certificate in Kinnaur.
- To apply for a Death Certificate, you must first register the Death.
- The death has to be registered with the concerned local authorities within 21 days of its occurrence, by filling up the form prescribed by the registering officer.
- As a first step a death should be notified to the respective authorities at the earliest it occurs.
A death can be reported and registered
- by the head of the family if it occurs in a house.
- by the medical in-charge if it occurs in a hospital.
- by the jail in-charge if it occurs in a jail.
- by the headman of the village or the in-charge of the local police station in case the body is found deserted in that area.
Apply In-Person :
- Once the information is registered / reaches the “respective municipal corporation / Gram panchayat concerned”, the concerned citizen has to approach the authority and apply for the certificate on any working day.
- Link for respective office : link
- Link for application form: link
- Submit the completed application form, required documents and fees (if required).
- Authorities will verify the details and applicant will get death certificate as per notified period.
- Alternatively you may check record online and get print out if it is sufficient to serve your purpose.
- If you report orally, the registrar will enter the information in the appropriate reporting form and get your signature or thumb impression.
- Later, you may have to furnish receipt from crematorium or burial ground to get the certificate.
If the details are registered already:
- Please go to the respective office and apply to check for the records.
- Link for office contact: link
- If the search results in availability of Death details, authorities will prepare Death certificate after checking the documents submitted.
- Note: In case the death has not been registered within the specified time of its occurrence, the certificate is issued after due police verification ordered by the revenue authorities.
Apply through CSC
- Applicant shall approach the CSC centre to apply for death certificate.
- Link for contact : Contact link
- Applicant shall obtain the application applicable from the centre staff. If required please pay for the form as advised.
- Complete the application form and submit it along with required documents to the staff for processing.
- Authority will process the application through computer and issue the application number along with acknowledgement receipt. Keep it safe for future reference.
- This application will be processed internally.
- Once the certificate is ready, applicant can get it from Centre where it was applied in person after notification as applicable.
- Use the following link to reach online portal. Link: link
- In the given page, please select “Department-wise List of Services” tab to get next page.
- Please select “Death registration and certificate” option under “Panchayat Raj department / Urban development department”
- Here, use the “new registration” option to register to login or use the guest/new user option to fill the prompts and proceed.
- If registered, please provide the user id and password and other prompts and finally hit submit to initiate the process.
- Please follow the page prompts and hit respective tabs to apply online.
- Application form : link
- Proof of birth of the deceased – Birth certificate/SSLC certificate.
- Copy of the ration card.
- Medical Certification of causes of Death, if required.
- Aadhaar card of deceased (if available) and applicant.
- ID card of the applicant.
- Residential Proof.
- Date and time of death.
- An affidavit specifying the date and time of death or death slip by doctor
- Copy of Receipt from crematorium or burial ground.
- If there is no record for death from hospital, then certificate obtained from village head / regional councillor / MLA / MP / MBS with stamp and signature along with signature of any one of the doctor should be submitted.
Office Locations & Contacts
Urban Development Department
Palika Bhavan, Talland, Shimla - 171002,
Himachal Pradesh, India
Ph : +91 0177-2626518
Contact Link: Contact link
CSC contact link : Contact link
- Death certificate will be issued to any citizen or any foreigner's legal heir, the death of whose relative takes place in the State.
- Parents and relatives of the deceased are eligible.
- No Fees required if registered within 21 days.
- Rs.2 after 21 days and within 30 days
- Rs.5 after 30 days and within 1 year
- Rs.10 after 1 year
- CSC service charge to be as quoted.
- There will be a small amount collected for people registering after 21 days. Details of fees will be provided by authorities.
Death Certificate valid forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- 10 days
- Once the application is filled in the certificate can be obtained on the same day for the registered death.
- Duplicate copy can be obtained instantly through online process.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
To apply for a Death Certificate, you must first register the death. The death has to be registered with the concerned local authorities within 21 days of its occurrence.
Following are the required information to apply for the death certificate
- Date of death
- Name of deceased
- Name of the father
- Name of the mother
- Place of death
- Hospital name, address
- Permanent address of parent’s
- Address of parent’s at the time of death
- Statistical information like name of city, district, village etc
Need for the Document
- As per the Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1969, it is mandatory to register every death with the concerned State Government within 21 days of its occurrence. If not registered within 21 days, permission has to be obtained from the Registrar/Area Magistrate by paying prescribed fee for late registration and can get death certificate.
- A Death Certificate is a document issued by the Government to the nearest relatives of the deceased, stating the date, fact and cause of death.
- It is essential to register death to prove the time and date of death, to establish the fact of death for relieving the individual from social, legal and official obligations
- To enable settlement of property inheritance, the family to collect insurance and other benefits.
- Death certificate is an important official document issued for the purpose of settlement of all the belongings and benefits of the deceased individual to the relatives
Information which might help
- If you report the death within 21 days of occurrence, you can obtain free copy of the death certificate/extract after verification.
- Deaths taking place in a medical institution will be intimated for registration by the institution directly to the registering authority.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people in Kinnaur can be listed here.