Kerala - Obtain a International Driving License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply In-Person :
- The RTA or Regional Transport Authority is the government authority that deals with providing International Driving Permit. One can apply their International driving license in their Regional Transport Authority Office.
- Please visit the RTA between 10 am and 12.30 pm because if you visit before or after this time the counter that issues coupons will be closed and you will have to return the next day.
- Please follow our “Office Locations & Contacts” section of this page to get details of the RTO offices. Link for RTO contacts: Link for contact
- Application form can be downloaded using the following link: Form
- You can get following forms directly from RTO office
- Make sure that you have all the documents in place before applying
- Applicant should make sure that they are eligible for this procedure
- Take the forms and fill the details. While entering your details please enter them as exactly mentioned in your license and passport.
- Attach all the documents including the health certificate with sign across your photo and stamp impression.
- Now, put these papers together and take it to the officer. Here the officer will also ask for the originals, he will cross check your passport and license and when satisfied, will stamp Verified: Original. He will issue a token number too.
- With that number you need to observe an electronic board that reads which token number is being called and which counter that you need to go to. So, wait for your turn.
- Officer at the counter will ask you on your turn to get an ORDER by the RTO Officer.
- At the counter you need to pay a sum of 650 Rs (or advised amount) for which you will get a receipt. The counter person will ask details of the country you are visiting and other relevant stuff. He will give back your forms.
- You might have to get the sign of the AO.
- After this, you need to get your photo taken, give your digital signature and bio metric print of your left index finger.
- Now submit your forms and credentials. The officer will take everything along with your receipt. The officer will ask for one passport photo. He will either immediately issue your IDP or ask you to return at 4 pm.
- Collect your Booklet and Card.
Apply through state portal :
- Please use the link : Link
- Click Apply online next to IDP (International Driving Permit) Application
- In the following screen please fill / select prompted details and hit “Go” to process your application online.
Apply Online : - Kerala Apply for International Driving License online with Images
- First one has to make sure that all the required documents are in hand to apply online.
- In order to apply for online, please follow the link : online portal
- Please select "Online Services" from the menu and click on "Driver License Related Services".
- You will be taken to a new screen where you have to select “Kerala” in the drop down menu against “Please select the State from where the service is to be taken”.
- In the next window, please click “Apply Online” to select “Services on Driving License” option
- In the new screen please select Kerala from drop down and then hit “Continue”
- Please select / enter appropriate option and fill in information prompted for, then click “Proceed” to get the new page to apply online by filling the details prompted and upload required documents to process the application.
- Please take printout of Acknowledgement
- Go to the RTO office with acknowledgement and application form and pay the fees and submit the document at the right counter to process further
Printing application :
- You can take printout of online application form with the help of the link : online portal link
- In the given page select “driving license related services” to get next page and select “Kerala” in the drop down menu against “Please select the State from where the service is to be taken”
- In the next window, please click “Download Forms” to select “Print application form” option
- Please enter your application number in the next window and hit ”Submit” follow the next window to get the printout.
- You can book appointment with RTO using the following link online appointment link
- Please click “Appointment (Slot Booking)” to select “services on Driving License” option
- In the new window select appropriate option to process your request to book appointment.
- 3 to 4 of Passport size photographs (carry more just in case)
- A valid permanent driver’s license with validity beyond 1 year. If your license is going to expire in less than a year, you will have to get it renewed and then apply for the IDP.
- A valid passport which expires only a year later.
- A valid visa to the country you are going to visit.
- Air Tickets (Optional).
- Aadhaar Card
- Health certificate by a medical practitioner.
- Fitness certificate
- Attested copy of the permanent address proof
- A self - attested letter to the Zonal RTO requesting to authenticate International Driving Permit
- Form: Form – 4A , Form-1 and Form-1A. Link for Forms : Form 4A, Form 1 and form 1A
- Should be duly filled and submitted at the Zonal RTO, failure to do so will lead to rejection of your International Driver’s License application.
Office Locations & Contacts
List of all RTO Office Locations in Kerala
Transport Commissionerate, Motor Vehicles Department, Kerala
2nd Floor, Trans Tower, CV Raman Pillai Rd,
DPI, Vazhuthacaud, Thiruvananthapuram,
Phone: 0471 233 3317
Location in Map
Following link will get RTO Contact details: Link for RTO Contact Info
- You should have a valid driving license to apply.
- The validity(expiry) of such DL should have more than one year
- Valid visa to the country you are going to visit
Fee related details are provided under the following link : Fees
Valid for tenure of 1 year from the date of issuance. After which your DL has to be renewed again, which can be done from nearest RTO if within the country or at the Indian Embassy, if residing in foreign.
Documents to Use
International Driver License Form : Form
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Maximum 1-2 days.
Kerala - Obtain a International Driving License
Kerala - Online Obtain a International Driving License
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- One has to get the International Driving License to drive in overseas country
- An International Driving Permit is a permit given to existing license holders if he/she wishes to travel abroad and drive there. It is only issued by Government of that country of which the applicant is a citizen.
Information which might help
If you’re travelling in the following countries, you do not require IDP or International Driver’s License for a period of six months.
- United States of America,
- Australia, United Kingdom,
- New Zealand,
- South Africa,
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.