Kenya - Obtain a Doctor or Dentist General Practice License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The application should be made using the application form and attaching all the required documents.
The Council/Board after reviewing the application may authorize the Registrar to issue to a medical practitioner or a dentist who has applied in the prescribed form and whom the Council/Board considers has had suitable working experience in medicine or in dentistry, as the case may be, a license to engage in private practice on his own behalf as a private practitioner or to be employed, either whole time or part time, by a private practitioner.
The Registrar issues, on payment of the prescribed fee, a license in the prescribed form to persons who are authorized by the Council/Board.
The Board may refuse to issue or to renew a license to engage in private practice to any person and may withdraw a license it has issued.
No premises may be habitually used for the purposes of private practice unless they are authorized for such use by the Council/Board.
A person aggrieved by a decision of the Council/Board may appeal to the High Court, and in any such appeal the High Court may annul or vary the decision as it thinks fit.
- Letter of clearance from the Ministry
- Inspection Report for the premises
- Proof of employment for those working in institutions.
- For part time practice, Letter of no objection from employer and Schedule of duties.
- Computer generated and stamped banking slip together with duly filled in form should be within the first week, either emailed to email@example.com or posted to the address below
Office Locations & Contacts
Licensing Body: Clinical Officers Council
Physical Location: Clinical Officers Council, Blue Violet Building, Suite 203, Kindaruma Road Off Ngong Road, Nairobi
Postal Address: Clinical Officers Council, P.O. Box 19795 K.N.H., Nairobi
Phone No: 0725 705 144
Fax: 020 722618
- Retired or 10 years experienced (Not employed) Clinical officers
- Application fee and License fee
- Inspection Report of the premises
- Application Fee: Kshs. 1,000/=
- License Fee: Kshs. 4,500/=
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
No clinical officer shall engage in private practice unless he has been issued with a valid private practice license practice by the Council in accordance with regulations made.
Contact Office: Licensing office, Office of the registrar clinical officers Kenya
Resolution Criteria: All conditions must be met
- Other Names
- Reg. No
- Date of Birth
- Particulars of experience (e.g. posts held and types of practice in which the applicant has been engaged and countries in which the applicant has practiced)
- Name of Authorized premises
- Notification for any changes of name, address and/or authorized premises
- Practice on your own behalf or to be employed whole-time or part-time by a Private Practitioner
Need for the Document
A General Practice License is a license that allows doctors and dentists to engage in private practice as a private practitioner or to be employed either whole time or part time, by a private practitioner.
It is granted for a period of one year at a time and state whether the person so licensed may practice as a private practitioner on his own behalf or may be employed by a private practitioner.
Information which might help
Doctors and Dentists aspiring to practice in Kenya must comply with the statutory requirements for registration and licensing. Failure to obtain the necessary documentations constitutes an offence under section 22 of the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Act. Detailed information on documentation can be accessed via the Boards website and from the Boards offices.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
To render Medical and Dental Services on private practice
The Clinical Officers Council gives a practicing license to a qualified Clinical officer to practice both in public and private sector.
Practicing license is renewable regularly.
Clinical Officers in private practice renew their practicing licenses annually.