Wikiprocedure > Kenya

Kenya - Apply for a permit to Filming a National Park and National Reserve

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Apply In-Person:

  1. The first step to obtaining a permit to filming in a National park or National reserve is to obtain a Filming license. This can be done by making an application to the Kenya Film and Classification Board.
  2. To apply for a permit to film or take a still commercial photograph in a National Park or a National Reserve, the applicant has to contact the Kenya Wildlife Services (KWS) offices to make the application. Here the applicant will be given an application form to fill and submit
  3. Fill the application and attach the required documents. A list of the can be found under the "Required Documents" section of this page.
  4. Submit the filled in application form and required documents to the KWS officer and pay the required application fees. For more detail about the fee to be paid are mentioned in “Fees” section of this page.
  5. Submit the payment receipt to the KWS officer, for review of the application.
  6. Upon successful review of the application, the KWS officer will issue the filming permit.
  7. The applicant needs proof of identification when collecting the application.
  8. The application processing time is 30 minutes.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Formal letter of application
  • Application form duly completed copy to be attached
  • List of foreign crew members, giving names, nationalities, and passport numbers & date of expiry of passports.
  • Details of filming agent
  • Script and synopsis or storyboard
  • List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc
  • Filming license from the Kenya Film Classification Board

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Kenya Film Classification Board (KFCB) - Head Office,
Uchumi House 15 Floor
P.O. Box 44226-00100, Nairobi,
Tel: 0711 222204/ 0777753355 /020 22 50600
Email: [email protected], [email protected]
Website: contact link

KFCB Portal ; Link


  • Any person who wants to do in filming in a national park and national reserves in Kenya.


Filming Permit charges payable to the KWS

  • Less than 30 minutes: 700 KSHS
  • 30-60 minutes : 900 KSHS
  • 60-90 minutes: 1,200 KSHS
  • Over 90 minutes: 1,400 KSHS

Approved filming applications shall be subjected to filming fees as follows :-

  • 1 - 5 crew member : Ksh 8000 per week or part thereof
  • 6 - 10 crew member : Ksh 12,000 per week or part thereof
  • 11 and above crew member : Ksh 20,000 per week or part thereof
  • Where authority has a significant impact on the environment, the proponent shall pay 15% as environment restoration fees, which shall be the total sum paid to KWS during the filming, that is, park entry, camping, filming and charges for services provided by the park management.
  • The Ministry charges Ksh.400 per day to cover Liaison Officers services provided by a Government Liaison Officer, to be attached to the crew
  • All filming fees shall be paid upfront upon approval.


  • The permit is valid up to the date of the end of the shooting schedule.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

  • The processing time is thirty minutes.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications.
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver,
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".


  • Upon approval, the director shall subject the film maker to any conditions deemed necessary for better management of the film.
  • All film producers shall report to the respective park warden before filming and shall abide by all park regulations and rules.

Required Information[edit]

  • Name, address and fax of Production Company
  • Name, address and telephone number of local agent in Kenya
  • Title of film and subject material.
  • Intended audience (State/country/Countries
  • Shooting schedule
  • Estimated total budget on film
  • Estimated budget to be spent in Kenya
  • Number of expatriate artists (actors, actresses, stuntmen, make up. etc.)
  • Number of expatriate film crew (directors, producers, cameramen, etc.)
  • Number of local artistes
  • Number of local film crew
  • Type of construction/improvisations on locations
  • Equipment
  • Raw film /video stock
  • Type of accommodation
  • Approximate time for depositing the final copy of the film (Preferably in a V.H.S. video cassette form)
  • Special request if any
  • Undertaking/Declaration

Need for the Document[edit]

  • No filming shall be made within national parks or national reserves in Kenya except under a permit issued with the Kenya wildlife service and with a licensee issued by the Kenya film and licensing board.
  • One need a permits to film in a National reserve or national park in Kenya.

Information which might help[edit]

  • Filming in parks is guided by the Films And Stage Plays Act Cap 222
  • All applicants for filming in parks and reserves shall produce a filming license from the Kenya Film and Classification Board through approved agent.
  • Applications for filming in national parks shall be accompanied by a synopsis.

Kenya Wildlife Services (KWS)

  • Filming in National Parks and National Reserves attracts charges from the Kenya Wildlife Services.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]


  • The filming fees do not include camping & park entrance fees or any service provided by the park management.